Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Alienware m11x R2

I have a few problems with games because of this computer. It has something called Nvidia Optimus technology, where the GPU only turns on where you run programs that are on your "whitelist". Anyways, I have to problems. The first one is games with punk buster. It kicks me out of servers after a few minutes saying "multiple direct 3d loaded" I think its seeing that I have an Nvidia GFX and the Intel Chipset.

Also, I beleive that CS:S isnt compatible with the Nvidia GT 335m because I run on max settings, and I start at around 100-110 fps then i go down to 30 fps. PLEASE HELP ME.

Guest Horny©at

Why the fuck do you have an Alienware computer in the first place?

I have a few problems with games because of this computer.

Your problem was buying an Alienware. Get rid of Optimus, make sure your drivers are updated for the gfx card, and take 30 minutes to read a guide on building your own rig.

As long as you don't remove the nVidia card from your notebook, and there are no longer programs restricting it, it will run automatically over the integrated chip.

They aren't nice, they are just expensive.
No, they are nice.

No, they are overly expensive, and in my opinion not worth the price.

Though I am talking more about the desktops than the laptops here.

The laptops are pretty nice, as far as laptops go, Though I still wouldn't buy a gaming laptop, waste of money in my opinion.

Buy a cheap laptop for work / school, and get a good, custom made desktop, easier to upgrade, easier to keep cool, and just all around more awesome.

As long as you don't remove the nVidia card from your notebook, and there are no longer programs restricting it, it will run automatically over the integrated chip.

that would kill the battery life, which defeats the whole purpose of having the optimus thing.

w/e, they are cute, decently powerful, expensive. but i still hold my opinion that LAPTOPS ARE NOT FOR GAMING. I mean, id maybe get a laptop that could run starcraft 2 but thatd cost maybe 600-700 and play on medium settings. Dont expect much from gaming laptops, even SUPER expensive ones.

Ive seen, i think the m17x, and it sounded like a fucking wind turbine, and im sure was roasting the guys balls from the amount of heat.

A laptop with a decent i3, or i5. 4GB of memory, and HD 5470 or equvilent = a good laptop that is easy on the bank, and can pretty much do anything you want except play games at max settings, which i would never do on a laptop anyways because youd get like 5 fps probably.

OH AND i just got my EVGA GTX 460 SC

FUCKING LOVE IT. Runs very quiet, and cool.

i still hold my opinion that LAPTOPS ARE NOT FOR GAMING.

Agreed. Sure you can get a laptop that'll play real games, but you'll be asking way more than you should of it. I like to have a lot of overhead and not set my computer ablaze when playing games.

Agreed. Sure you can get a laptop that'll play real games, but you'll be asking way more than you should of it. I like to have a lot of overhead and not set my computer ablaze when playing games.

I have a gaming laptop, but:

1. I can afford it

2. I have a gaming desktop

3. I would never buy a alienware b/c yes they are good but you dont get the best deal for the money spent

that would kill the battery life, which defeats the whole purpose of having the optimus thing.

Gaming on a battery is the most retarded idea ever conceived by man. What do you get at most, 15 minutes?

What I am telling you is that "the optimus thing" is pointless and that it needs to be removed. Here's a pro tip: Plug your notebook in when you are gaming if you want to play on it.

Gaming on a battery is the most retarded idea ever conceived by man. What do you get at most, 15 minutes?

Pretty much.

I know my friends laptop has power saving mode when not plugged in, games will run on the same settings and get horrible fps.

If youre gunna be plugged in(Pretty much HAVE to) what the fuck is the point of a gaming laptop thenn ughh.

And no, the "optimus thing" is not completely useless, as it saves power while not plugged in. Obviously its glitchy as fuck, and doesnt work correctly.

gaming laptops are still useless unless you love having to bring a power brick and shit with you everywhere.

Guest Horny©at
Some people like nice things?

Define your definition of nice