Sign in to follow this  
Oracion

Overclocking V2

Okay, so. I've noticed I'd ideally like to try to OC a bit to speed up performance on some new games I have, and to possibly let me play better games in general, so let me just put this out here first. I looked at the previous topics we had on here before, and it didn't quite give me enough info IMO, so I wanted to come to the current guys right now. This is what I have right now on my (mostly) stock computer.

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

AMD Turion II Ultra Dual Core M620 2.5Ghz

4 GB Installed RAM

If you need some more info about this, let me know, not sure what more you guys may need to know.

I've looked up info about OC'ing here (never done it before) and it doesn't seem like too high of a risk from what I've gathered, and I would like to try it, but I'm just wondering if you guys have a few suggestions for me with:

1. Other cooling methods. (I have a fan underneath as is, not sure if it's enough).

2. Other changes that could affect speed on the comp that I may not have tried.

3. If it's worth it to OC in general on said laptop.

Yes I said laptop. I get the whole desktop is better than laptop, but I have this for a reason and it works well for me in general with what I need to do outside of gaming too, so lets not discuss this at all. I'd like to just hear the above three and how well it would run for said laptop and if I can mod it further, or get something more to assist with the increase in heat that I know I will get.

Any opinions are appreciated guys.

What CPU fan are you using? If your using a stock one I suggest getting a new one for more better cooling.

but wait your OCing a laptop? i wouldn't do that.

Have to check on the fan, but I'm not simply using that. I have a cooling fan underneath it too and it's pretty damned strong.

And I figured OC'ing on a laptop isn't ideal, but I do want opinions on it. :P

Dont overclock a laptop Youre asking to totally fuck it.

The yarent ment for it or to handle increased voltages

They are pretty hot under minor loads as is.

Im not even sure if your laptops BIOS supports OC features like desktop ones.

AND tbh, youre really not gunna get much more out of OCing it. (in terms of gaming performace and such)

Like everyone has said, do not overclock a laptop. I'm not even sure you can with a crappy OEM HP mobo. Heat is an issue in any laptop, and the crappy 15% performance increase you might get isn't worth the thing spontaneously combusting.

I know it's not what you wanna hear, but buy a desktop.

If you have so much faith in your cooling pad and want to oc your laptop that bad , then go check your cpu and vid card temps on idle and full load then post those results and we'll continue from there.

Like everyone has said, do not overclock a laptop. I'm not even sure you can with a crappy OEM HP mobo. Heat is an issue in any laptop, and the crappy 15% performance increase you might get isn't worth the thing spontaneously combusting.

I know it's not what you wanna hear, but buy a desktop.

If I can't OC it, I'm not really going to lose sleep. I'm more asking for experimentation value to see if I can work some more power out of it, but what most of you guys are saying is about the same from what I'm reading on other forums out there, that it's really not recommended and/or worth it. I might think of getting a desktop simply for gaming, but I'm not sure if I actually need to do that since this laptop does both decently well. Have to see how I feel about two comps in the future though.

If you have so much faith in your cooling pad and want to oc your laptop that bad , then go check your cpu and vid card temps on idle and full load then post those results and we'll continue from there.

I'm just going to tweak some things and see how it goes. If I see anything unnatural I'll post it, but I'll see what I can find overall.

lol DO NOT overclock a laptop. first off the best way to OC is in the BIOs and with a laptop they will not have those options. you could try to overclock using some software, but it would just be unstable. what operating system do you have?

What are your temps first? On full load and on idle.

I recently OC'd my laptop's GPU and I have been getting a somewhat better performance on games and my temps aren't too bad either. I do use a crapload of cooling fans though to make sure it doesnt melt.

Do everything you can to keep the temps as low as possible such as undervolting your laptop and again using cooling fans.

I'm still trying to OC my laptop CPU though and am having trouble with it. I'm not exactly sure how to start doing it >__>

Just dont OC your laptop. Youre going to nuke it.

If your intent is to blow it up as an excuse to buy a new one, send it to me and buy a new one :)

My laptop seems to be doing okay when it's overclocked :D

I changed it from:

Core Clock: 550MHz

Memory Clock: 667 MHz

to

Core Clock: 630 MHz

Memory Clock: 799MHz (trying to turn this to 800 but it keeps going to 801)

It improved my FPS in Just Cause 2 by 10-13FPS :D

You got an amd Processor, if you give me a Pm through steam I can help you take you're tempreture on full load and depending on the result help you overclock, However Overclocking a Laptop can be risky.

This Pc is overclocked from 6cpu's 2.8Ghz, to 3.5 ghz.. Stock fans, lying stable on 40-45 C full load..

Hahahah

Your bullshit is hilarious lindseth.

Whatever you are doing is NOT full load.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ Use this to measure temps

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197835 Use this to bring your CPU to full load, do about 10-15 loops to ensure maximum stability . (also make sure you select maximum)

I love how some of you guys act like you know your shit, when you DONT.

Hahahah

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197835 Use this to bring your CPU to full load, do about 10-15 loops to ensure maximum stability . (also make sure you select maximum)

Checks can also be done with AMD OverDrive, for AMD users.

"I love how some of you guys act like you know your shit, when you DONT."

You made me LOL.

You really dont know shit if youre using amd overdrive.

again, your AMD wouldnt be at 40-45 under 100% full LOAD/MAXIMUM STRESS.

but yes, amd phenoms usually have decent temps, compared to intel.

Hey Kids. Stop fighting

On topic, I modded a few things through AMD Overdrive and I've noticed a bit of an increase in things with no heat increase, of any. Things that used to lag me don't do it as much if at all now, so this tweaking is working well so far.

Hahahah

Oracion use this man for your overclocking needs, he'll talk you down and help at the same time :)

I like using prime for a stress test though dawg

No worries, and heres my temp direcly from a minute ago, running AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

Thats around 10 Minutes with full load..

minload.pngmaxo.png

Btw, I do got an Antec, probobly the coldest in its price class..

On topic: Oracion! Remember to underclock you're RAM if you're overclocking you're processers a lot.. and DONT touch the Voltage if you ain't damn sure it won't overheat...

On topic: Oracion! Remember to underclock you're RAM if you're overclocking you're processers a lot.. and DONT touch the Voltage if you ain't damn sure it won't overheat...

Already touched the voltage. I set it up about .1-.15 and it's not showing any heat change from what I can feel. Like I said before, I have a pretty nice fan under it so it keeps it frosty.

Hahahah

You're kinda failing right now b/c I too have the amd 6 core 2.8 OC'd to 3.4 but I'm lazy and dont spend hours tweaking. Same temp readouts AND I have water cooling