Sign in to follow this  
projectmayhem9

Processors

Intel® Core™ i7-620M 2.66GHz (3.33Ghz Turbo Mode, 4M cache)

Intel® Core™ i7 740QM Quad Core Processor, 1.73GHz (2.93GHz Turbo Mode, 6M Cache

What are the pros/cons of these processors? What are the primary differences between a duo and quad processor in terms of performance?

I'd go for the 640.

Higher core clock, it'll be easier to OC.

4m cache vs 6m cache won't be much difference. The core clock speed (1.7ghz vs 2.6) Will be a huge factor though.

Guest Fohacidal
I'd go for the 640.

Higher core clock, it'll be easier to OC.

4m cache vs 6m cache won't be much difference. The core clock speed (1.7ghz vs 2.6) Will be a huge factor though.

Im inclined to agree, if you are going to overclock into 3.0+ speeds you will love the higher clock speed

Im inclined to agree, if you are going to overclock into 3.0+ speeds you will love the higher clock speed

Even if he doesn't OC, single threaded applications will be significantly faster with the 640 due to the higher clock speed.

Not to mention there isn't a single game out there that is PERFECTLY optimized for a quad core processor. Today's games are optimized for dual core, and if the devs can offload anything extra to other cores then they do.

10x0524ojb14cdell.jpg

Hmmmmm. What are you planning on doing with this laptop?

Do you intend to overclock? Do you intend to use any processor intensive applications? Gaming?

higher cache and lower clocks will perform better than higher clocks with a lower cache

Depends on how many threads t he program is using.

For laptops a dual core with higher clock less cache > lower clock speed more cache will get higher performance.

more cores / more cache = more multitasking

higher cache and lower clocks will perform better than higher clocks with a lower cache

Fuck off.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cache-size-matter,1709-5.html

Do some damn research before recommending a shitty processor. 2mb of Cache for gaming will barely make a difference - 4mb is plenty.

See the link to see how much cache really affects performance.

So, the 640 -

Insanely good single threaded performance (You wouldn't believe how many applications AREN'T EVEN OPTIMIZED FOR DUAL CORE)

4mb of cache is plenty enough for a dual core to not bottleneck the performance of the processor.

And the other one (The quad)

Good multithreaded performance...If only apps were made to utilize 4 cores.

That's about it.

FYI - That link also tested processors of the same frequency. We're talking about 1.73ghz vs 2.66ghz which means the 620 will beat the 720 by a mile (In gaming)

Games generally prefer higher clock speed, as long as you have at least a dual core (Except for one game, Battlefield Bad Company 2)

So the question I am burning to ask at this time, and im sure someone here can answear me.

Is it best to get a really high end Duel core at this time (I hear rumur's that game developer's are looking at this then quad) or stick with my high end quad core?

So the question I am burning to ask at this time, and im sure someone here can answear me.

Is it best to get a really high end Duel core at this time (I hear rumur's that game developer's are looking at this then quad) or stick with my high end quad core?

High end dual core (If it's a laptop)

If it's a desktop, then get a quad.

High end dual core (If it's a laptop)

If it's a desktop, then get a quad.

Or spend an extra $70 bucks and get a six-core. :D

Totally buying one of them soon.

Or spend an extra $70 bucks and get a six-core. :D

Totally buying one of them soon.

Look at the reviews. In most cases they don't even outperform the quad cores.

Applications and games aren't optimized for six cores. Hell, they aren't even optimized for 4. By the time they are that processor will be about $100....That's when I'll buy it =D

Sorry to double post buut...

Guitar Guy(or anyone else who has his level of knowledge on the subject) would you still recommend the 620M duo over a 840QM?Or is it just better when compared to the 740QM?