Sign in to follow this  
Longcat

Rant about the FBI

So as some of you may know, I plan on being a Paramedic.

In the state of Kentucky, the Kentucky Board of Emergency Medical Services, requires an FBI background check for EMTs. At my University, they have a Paramedic Advanced Sequence that starts in the Fall Semesters only. To qualify for this Advanced Sequence, you must take some classes, one of which is EMC 115, which is 64 hours of ride time on an ambulance as an EMT.

Beginning of the semester, my instructor for my EMT certification course says "You need to submit your FBI Background Check applications as soon as possible, because they take a while." So I filled it out and got my fingerprints done by the local police department and submitted it as soon as I can, in late January. Today, April 13th, I received my reply. That is over two months that it took them to process it. I thank god that it actually showed up. Then I open it.

On a page stamped MAR 25 2010 I read it: My Fingerprints were rejected because they were indiscernible. Ok, thats not your fault FBI, the officer who printed me fucked up, understandable. March 25th you knew. You knew that my prints couldnt be read on the 25th of March. We'll say the post office took 4 days to get it to you, thats being generous. That is nearly two months after I sent it to you that you finally took a look at it. Not only that though. March 25th you processed it. I didnt get it until TODAY. Once again giving the Post office 4 days, that is two weeks that my application sat around doing absolutely nothing, except destroying my chance to continue on with my education.

You, the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Division, with your inability to expeditiously handle background checks, may have damned me to a year of educational purgatory. You type some information into a computer, run some fingerprints through a machine and check your databases. You have a two month backlog for this? You hire some more people, you buy some more machines to process shit. Hell, you made me pay you 18 dollars to get this done, it didnt come out of taxes. Boost up the price a few dollars, hire some temporary employees and start chipping away at the backlog. It only makes sense. I may have really simplified it, but that is exactly what it boils down to.

Oh wait, look at this. Verified Credentials, a private background check company has an average 72 hour turnaround. I'll give them a two day cushion and say 5 days. 5/75(two and a half months). That means that this company takes less than 6% of the time it would take you. Whats up with that?

Guest Fohacidal

Sorry you werent at the top of the FBIs "urgently needs to be done" list. Try again and put a picture of that guy from sharpshooter in your application and maybe it will be done 5 minutes before its in the mail.

Government = Bullshit?

It's only bullshit when people don't like something that happens with them directly.

Though, when someone desperately needs money or help, they always go back to them...

When I applied for a job as 911 call taker it took them 6 months to process my whole application. Government is just slow.

Hopefully I don't run in to that when I plan to take my Firefighter and EMT-B classes next semester.

When I applied for a job as 911 call taker it took them 6 months to process my whole application. Government is just slow.

Hopefully I don't run in to that when I plan to take my Firefighter and EMT-B classes next semester.

I'm amazed that universities are teaching EMT courses. If you plan on pursuing a career as an EMT, check your state requirements. Many states require a min of EMT-I, though a handfull only require EMT-B. Its good money right out of HS, usually double min wage.

Guest Horny©at

No thnx, I rather become a big male stripper and make money that way. WHATEVER PAYS THE BILLS!!!

I'm amazed that universities are teaching EMT courses. If you plan on pursuing a career as an EMT, check your state requirements. Many states require a min of EMT-I, though a handfull only require EMT-B. Its good money right out of HS, usually double min wage.

Well firefighters only need EMT-B, and if I do get hired on here, its starting 55k a year.

I love rich cities :D

Well firefighters only need EMT-B, and if I do get hired on here, its starting 55k a year.

I love rich cities :D

Yeah, most of my classmates are firefighters going for the extra EMT cert or people on a Paramedic track.

My cousin does background checks for the FBI and local police departments, but he doesn't work for either, yet still has a gun and a badge, so I don't really know o_o.

Does he work in Clarksburg West Virginia?