Sign in to follow this  
Oracion

Religion and You

Just a simple question, but I'm curious to know what drives anyone for religion. I never really got into it because it didn't appeal to me, but what makes you enjoy it?

Also, no religion bashing. I know some people get a bit crazy in this, so just explain what you enjoy about it.

The complexity of the universe needs to have an answer. While I don't believe in a book or other type of revelation I do have the belief in a higher power. Call it God, Spirit or The great architect it's all the same to me. there are many roads to the divine. I would call myself a deist before anything else. As I see it any version of creation can still prove the existence of a creator.

While I don't believe in a higher power, I believe there are a set of laws that everything must abide by. Call it nature, physics, chemistry... etc. These laws govern the universe and how it behaves. This is what you may call the higher power or truth.

When stating my religion, I believe Hinduism is the best. (Please don't take this the wrong way) Hinduism believes all religions lead to the same point no matter where you start. And it fits my own thoughts in more ways than one.

inb4 lock.

Also, I don't believe in anything. Until there is proof, I don't believe that there is a "god".

People can point to a ton of things that can be called proof. It's not about proof as much as about the want to believe in something. I'm not saying you are wrong I'm saying what would be proof to you? I myself don't look for proof I see things that tell me that something must be behind all of this. A flower in the middle of an arid desert is proof, The stars, The way water acts or the way that everything works perfectly with each other can be proof.

When stating my religion, I believe Hinduism is the best. (Please don't take this the wrong way) Hinduism believes all religions lead to the same point no matter where you start. And it fits my own thoughts in more ways than one.

Many religions have the same beliefs. They just all tell it diffidently.

I believe in christianity, but i do not believe in organized meetings of it (church), while the bible does tell you to go to church etc... I deem it fine

Ultimately, I believe there is a God and to me this one seems most probable, im not a bible thumper, im not a person that is stubborn i will hear others but to me I just believe there is a God I just dont think we are mistakes I think there is intelligent design...

The complexity of the universe needs to have an answer. While I don't believe in a book or other type of revelation I do have the belief in a higher power. Call it God, Spirit or The great architect it's all the same to me. there are many roads to the divine.

this

Guest Fohacidal

Im Catholic

inb4flame

HOWEVER I do hold a lot of my own beliefs that dont exactly line up with that of the Church, mainly science ones

I'm Lutheran to be classified, but I'm more along the lines of Benjamin Franklin's beliefs.

"You desire to know something of my religion. It is the first time I have been questioned upon it. But I cannot take your curiosity amiss, and shall endeavor in a few words to gratify it. Here is my creed. I believe in one God, the creator of the universe. That he governs by his providence. That he ought to be worshipped. That the most acceptable service we render to him is doing good to his other children. That the soul of man is immortal, and will be treated with justice in another life respecting its conduct in this. These I take to be the fundamental points in all sound religion, and I regard them as you do in whatever sect I meet with them."

Imz a Muslim we kill everyone! Allah Akbar! Death to the Infidels!

jk

im a wandering christian who doesnt think church helps at all. Southern Baptist fyi

I hate calling myself an atheist, but so far it's the best definition I have for it. There are a lot of reasons why people would believe in a god, or believe the words of a 'bible'; comfort, meaning, understanding, answers, and more.

I personally have no problem with any religions, however; I HATE when the churches hold us back from progressing. The whole deal with creationism trying to be taught as a scientific theory is revolting. "Intelligent Design"

"[Astronomer Martin Rees] claims that the universe seems to be be governed by six numbers, each of which is measurable and finely tuned. These six numbers must satisfy the conditions for life, or else they create a dead universe.

First is Epsilon, which equals 0.007, which is the relative amount of hydrogen that converts to helium via fusion in the big bang. If this number were 0.006 instead of 0.007, this would weaken the nuclear force, and protons and neutrons would not bind together. Deuterium (with one proton and one neutron) could not form, hence the heavier elements would never have been created in the stars, the atoms of our body could not have been formed, and the entire universe would dissolve into hydrogen...

...Second is N, equal to 10^36, which is the strength of the electric force divided by the strength of gravity, which shows how weak gravity is. If gravity were even weaker, then stars could not condense and create the enormous temperatures necessary for fusion. Hence, stars would not shine, and the planets would plunge into freezing darkness. But if gravity were a bit stronger, this would cause the stars to heat up too fast, and they would burn up their fuel so quickly that life could never get started. Also, a stronger gravity would mean that galaxies would form earlier and would be quite small. The stars would be more densely packed, making disastrous collisions between various stars and planets.

Third is Omega, the relative density of the universe. If Omega were too small, then the universe would have expanded and cooled too fast. But if Omega were too large, then the universe would have collapsed before life could start. Rees writes, "At one second after the big bang, Omega cannot have differed from unity by more than one part in a million billion (one in 10^15) in in order that the universe should now, after 10 billion years, be still expanding and with a value of Omega that has certainly not departed wildly from unity."

Fourth is Lambda, the cosmological constant, which determines the acceleration of the universe. If it were just a few times larger, the antigravity it would create would blow the universe apart, sending it into an immediate big freeze, making life impossible. But if the cosmological constant were negative, the universe would have contracted violently into a big crunch, too soon for life to form. In other words, the cosmological contant, like Omega, must also be within a certain narrow band to make life possible.

Fifth is Q, the amplitude of the irregularities in the cosmic microwave background, which equals 10^-5. If this number were a bit smaller, then the universe would be extremely uniform, a lifeless mass of gas and dust, which would never condense into the stars and galaxies of today. The universe would be dark, uniform, featureless, and lifeless. If Q were larger, then matter would have condensed earlier in the history of the universe into supergalactic structures. These "great gobs of matter would have condensed into huge black holes," says Rees. These black holes would be heavier than an entire cluster of galaxies. Whatever stars can form in these huge cluster of gas would be so tightly packed that planetary systems would be impossible.

Last is D, the number of spatial dimensions. Due to interest in M-Theory, physicists have returned to the question of whether life is possible in higher or lower dimensions. If space is one-dimensional, then life probably cannot exist because the universe is trivial. Usually, when physicists try to apply the quantum theory to one-dimensional universes, we find that particles pass through one another without interacting. So it's possible that universes existing in one dimension cannot support life because particles cannot "stick" together to form increasingly complex objects. In two space dimensions, we also have a problem because life forms would probably disintegrate. Imagine a two-dimensional race of flat beings, called Flatlanders, living on a tabletop. Imagine them trying to eat. The passage extending from its mouth to its rear would split the Flatlander in half, and he would fall apart. Thus, it's difficult to imagine how a Flatlander could exist as a complex being without disintegrating or falling into separate pieces."

Seems that something/someone knows what they/he/it is doing. For all this to just happen is just as far out as believing in a higher power. I would like to think that every event from start to now is a enough proof of god to me.

Guest formerlyaeth

I'm a pastor in the religion of Logic.

I believe in christianity, but i do not believe in organized meetings of it (church), while the bible does tell you to go to church etc... I deem it fine

So by saying that your saying you know better then "your god"

Guest formerlyaeth
So by saying that your saying you know better then "your god"

yeah it's funny right?

i love these christians making up their own beliefs of how it works so they don't have to do shit.