Sign in to follow this  
Noire

Admin School Student

if there are bad admins is there a place to complain? or just post it on the complain thread?

I'd say if you have issues with admin, CD is the place to go. What I'm suggesting to put in Mario's forum is suggestions from everyone, changes they might want, and questions that I may not be able to answer during a session.

Mostly, a learning experience, and possibly even a way to get some ideas out from everyone about servers and how things work on them.

i think it's a good idea. people who have 'reasonable' complaints against them should be put through admin school

Glad someone understood what I was trying to say...most of the ppl who posted in this thread read it as anyone with a posted complaint has to attend. It's more like if we suspend someone's admin because of something they did, or they banned someone without warning them, these would be the kind of reasons they would have to have a session.

EX: Someone called someone a fag, so he banned him for disrespect. Person comes online and posts his complaint. Admin is found at fault for banning without following protocol. Admin gets his admin suspended until he attends 1 session in which he will probably spend about 5 mins going over what you have to do before you can ban someone. Warn them (for this ex, tell them to stop). Mute/silence. After you unmute them, if they keep it up, kick them from server. If they come back and are still going at it, you can NOW ban them for 30 mins for disrespect.

This would be an example of a session, except any questions they have can be answered by an instructor.

Glad someone understood what I was trying to say...most of the ppl who posted in this thread read it as anyone with a posted complaint has to attend. It's more like if we suspend someone's admin because of something they did, or they banned someone without warning them, these would be the kind of reasons they would have to have a session.

EX: Someone called someone a fag, so he banned him for disrespect. Person comes online and posts his complaint. Admin is found at fault for banning without following protocol. Admin gets his admin suspended until he attends 1 session in which he will probably spend about 5 mins going over what you have to do before you can ban someone. Warn them (for this ex, tell them to stop). Mute/silence. After you unmute them, if they keep it up, kick them from server. If they come back and are still going at it, you can NOW ban them for 30 mins for disrespect.

This would be an example of a session, except any questions they have can be answered by an instructor.

So, it's not admin school. It's more like admin remedial school or admin detention?

So, it's not admin school. It's more like admin remedial school or admin detention?

This is my understanding. I would be super pissed if I had to be put through admin detention. In my opinion thats taking it a bit far with the seriousness. I currently feel awfully restricted by our rules, especially when it comes to maintaining a pleasant gaming environment for the majority of the players. ZM players know what I mean (Skyokiller, Green Cream, Kilrkyle, etc...) But I follow them nonetheless...

An anger management class would be more beneficial since the only legit complaints come because an admin was so blinded by rage that they banned some annoying player. I'd administer that ("ITS JUST A GAME BITCH" *Slap*).

I still would go with my idea of having like 5-10 short answer questions (Very much like our recruitment screening) that have to be answered within 3 days after a person buys admin or it is suspended until they complete them. A staff member replies to their answers with criticisms/praise and they can go on their merry way. Dont post them anywhere on the forums, making sure that each person has to give their own answers and cant copy from someone else or at least making it much harder to do so.

This is my understanding. I would be super pissed if I had to be put through admin detention. In my opinion thats taking it a bit far with the seriousness. I currently feel awfully restricted by our rules, especially when it comes to maintaining a pleasant gaming environment for the majority of the players. ZM players know what I mean (Skyokiller, Green Cream, Kilrkyle, etc...) But I follow them nonetheless...

An anger management class would be more beneficial since the only legit complaints come because an admin was so blinded by rage that they banned some annoying player. I'd administer that ("ITS JUST A GAME BITCH" *Slap*).

I still would go with my idea of having like 5-10 short answer questions (Very much like our recruitment screening) that have to be answered within 3 days after a person buys admin or it is suspended until they complete them. A staff member replies to their answers with criticisms/praise and they can go on their merry way. Dont post them anywhere on the forums, making sure that each person has to give their own answers and cant copy from someone else or at least making it much harder to do so.

Completely agreed. 100% Good job sir!

so what kind of questions go on this short test with 10 questiosn only? are some not allowed to be on the test, like wcs questions? or Zm questiosn? If these are on, the person applying for the admins would have to know all the rules from all the servers. The whole reason I wanted a session instead of a general test is that I dont want to deny someone admin because they dont know anything about zombie server or wcs. That way whatever the problem is, it can always be solved.

Maybe if anything, an update to the admin rules should be done to handle specific incidents.

If anything I guess I could pull a short questionnaire from the questions I already made and have them feel that out like the recruitment process....Would just need some input on some of the things you feel would be important enough and not server specific enough to put on the test

Have them choose what servers they will be "admining" on and then have corresponding quizzes for that. Jailbreak needs admins to write a fucking essay to be able to admin on that server.

Having an "instructor" and a "student" would be ridiculous. You know why? Cause its a video game. We want to have fun. Yes having knowledge on basic things before you buy admin is GOOD but not to this extent. No one will be able to stop laughing as soon as they get in the server and waste each others time.

Then theres an issue of scheduling shit between each other.

so what kind of questions go on this short test with 10 questiosn only? are some not allowed to be on the test, like wcs questions? or Zm questiosn? If these are on, the person applying for the admins would have to know all the rules from all the servers. The whole reason I wanted a session instead of a general test is that I dont want to deny someone admin because they dont know anything about zombie server or wcs. That way whatever the problem is, it can always be solved.

If people are buying admin for every server then they need to know the rules for every server. Just cause they don't normally play on wcs doesn't mean they won't go in there and flex their admin muscle without knowing what the fuck they are doing. If you are buying admin you need to know the rules for each game.

I play on Noob Galore's scoutzknives server quite a bit, actually more now that WC2 LAGS SO BAD lol. But here is their thread for applying for admin. I know alot of these things won't apply to here but some I think are good ideas.

-------------------------------------

ADMIN REQUIREMENTS

1. Our minimum age requirement is 16, but 18 is preferred.

2. You MUST play on the server you want admin for, and not just a little, we want people who are in there like it is a religion.

3. Be both Responsible and Available.

....* Idle Ventrilo.

....* Be Available on Steam / XFire.

Helpful Tip: Sometimes when you aren’t in the servers, it is still a GREAT help to have you available to players who have your info in case no other admins are on and something such as a hacker is ruining everyone’s experience on the server.

4. YOU MUST have been sporting the NG tag.

* After getting approved it will need to be moved to the front of your name.

* Place a -r at the end of your name signaling that you are an Admin Recruit. Ex: NG- r|Mr. Guy

* ^ The -r can be removed from your name upon being Approved.

5. If you are playing in our servers, you’re also in Ventrilo, which means yes... You do have to have a microphone. If you don't have one, go to your local Wal-Mart, K-Mart, target, or other white trash large general stores.

6. We want people who will be there and take care of things, not be there, and ban every person who talks to them bad, or to ban EVERY player that you THINK hacks... If your going to ban someone you need to be 100% sure they are hacking, or have a couple other ADMINS agree and tell you to ban them, if you made a mistake, you better be willing to live up to it or lose your admin if its bad enough. There are many other options of things you can do to someone instead of ban them, if you want a run down, ask one of us admins who have been there for a while.

7. Be ACTIVE on the forums, this means be posting on the forums (but not spamming) for a period of several weeks prior to making an application.

- BEFORE, and AFTER recieving Admin. (Failure to keep active will result in losing Admin.)

8. To be considered you must NOT have Admin or play in any other communities..

9. It is REQUIRED to have your Forums name the same as your In-Game name. ( WITH PLAIN TEXT, NO SYMBOLS )

Things that help your cause:

* Be Active in the Server(s).

* Be Active in the Community.

* Join Vent, get to know the players / Management, hang out and get to know everyone.

* Be active in the forums HEAVILY, BEFORE and AFTER posting your App.

* Sport the NG tag in front of your name before Applying.

* Join our Steam Group - Click Here...

To those of you that dont get approved right away because you might be new to the Servers / Forums, or both. Please dont take offense to this or get discouraged. We are always paying attention to whats going on in the community and will not let you go un-noticed if we feel you deserve to get Admin in our Servers.

- N00b Galore Management

---------------------------

The other thing to take note about this is that they do not charge for admin, they do ask you to donate but that is all.

They go solely by your responses to the questions and how well you represent yourself in game and on the forums, and they do say no at the littlest things. Then regular members will give you a +1 or -1 and finally a senior staff member will give the final result.

They have so many members and servers that they always meet their goal for the month ($1500) so why charge for admin I guess. I know that is how we get alot of the funds to run the servers, but I still think this would be worth doing.

I like that above post. Maybe I'll make something like that to be added to the main site to clarify things, and get some contacts up for people.

Just need to get out of work. Damned ten hour shift.

Maybe if anything, an update to the admin rules should be done to handle specific incidents.

If anything I guess I could pull a short questionnaire from the questions I already made and have them feel that out like the recruitment process....Would just need some input on some of the things you feel would be important enough and not server specific enough to put on the test

Denying admin? Who's going to pay for the servers then? Like I said, you guys are risking admin subscriptions and last I checked, they helped pay for the servers. You really wanna mess with that? Why don't you just try to somehow make sure everyone is clear on the rules of all servers. Put it in one place where they can read all of them (rules of each server), because catering to the lazy is the way to go! Joke but seriously, put it in one place, maybe an admin thread. Make sure admins have read it. Then put together a short 5-10 question test. I wouldn't suggest failing anyone but I mean if there are 1 or 2 that really suck at it, deny them admin.

2. You MUST play on the server you want admin for, and not just a little, we want people who are in there like it is a religion.

The problem is, most of us have lives. I'm rarely on now because I don't have time to play. That and nobody really plays the servers anyways. I wouldn't put too many requirements on admin. Certain requirements are going to make people shy away from buying it. There needs to be a balance. Make it harder to get admin for the average kid, but not too hard. Don't put too many requirements on it but make it hard enough that the idiots shy away from even trying.

IMO, those requirements are way too strict. It is fine for someone who has to apply and it's free. But our admins pay, well most of them. And I doubt they'd pay for a bunch of rules.

Denying admin? Who's going to pay for the servers then? Like I said, you guys are risking admin subscriptions and last I checked, they helped pay for the servers. You really wanna mess with that? Why don't you just try to somehow make sure everyone is clear on the rules of all servers. Put it in one place where they can read all of them (rules of each server), because catering to the lazy is the way to go! Joke but seriously, put it in one place, maybe an admin thread. Make sure admins have read it. Then put together a short 5-10 question test. I wouldn't suggest failing anyone but I mean if there are 1 or 2 that really suck at it, deny them admin.

I said I DONT WANT TO DENY ADMIN BASED ON QUESTIONS FROM A SERVER THEY DO NOT PLAY ON. What in your mind translated this as I am going to Deny ALL admins. You even make a point of denying admins if their answers suck really bad. Well what did you think we would do before? I was saying if they fail the test (and I mean fail) they wont pass and their admin wil be denied till they pass the test. Does this mean everyone is going to fail because we are going to make the test super hard? No, I even posted a sample test in another thread, A SAMPLE test, not an actual test. You can see how hard the questions are (not hard at all)

We also have the rules posted, its easy to find but admins dont always pay attention or WANT to read the rules even if they just bought admin. So we shove another screen for them to scroll down and skip altogether because they just want to get in and have fun as you said it. You think they will take this seroiusly?

And the problem I have with the test as I said before, it would have to cover all servers, and probably a specific test alone for jailbreak (since they are so many rules and interpretations of the rules) if they would want to have admin for that server.

Do we want to make it super hard so no one gets admin? No.

Do we have a lot of complaints about how admins dont do their job? Yes.

I know there is the risk of losing buisness because of it, which is why I wanted to test JUST the people who had valid complaints against them.

Would it be better to FORCE EVERY admin to take a test or would it be better to just FORCE the ones that have valid complaints against them? This is what the thread is about.

If you guys want Ill move the admin test to this section so you can see what it is I'm talking about it. Although it has NO QUESTIONS that involve jailbreak because I have no clue what problems occur on that server with admins.

It's a good idea but not everyone would have to go through it, nor will many like to. Maybe it should be some sort of "rehibilitation" for admins who have broken rules / abused in order for them to regain their admin rights. I think it'd be nice if admins on server would contact the respective engineers or at least observe the server's forum thread in order to keep up to date. I know a couple do that with me (probs trying to get private races :P) and it works lot better in maintaining server rules as they can just drop a question on me and generally get answer there and then.

Like I said, I was just putting in a suggestion, I know that most of those rules won't apply here but possibly give some ideas.

I do think that there are definitely those people who buy admin because they are power hungry like to play with the fun commands a little too much and piss off the wrong people. And I think that's where most of the complaints come from. Admins getting trigger happy with a command or simply taking the wrong procedures on rule breaking. Which I personally have been victim of more then once.

At the least I think there should be the question of "Why do you want admin on this server?"

But here again it comes back to money. Im assuming most of the income comes from admin subscriptions.

And most of the rules on NG's forum will run away some people not wanting to deal with rules, which is totally understandable.

So the area we could pick up on would be regular donating? Do we have a goal for the month, or is it just kinda liberal?

I said I DONT WANT TO DENY ADMIN BASED ON QUESTIONS FROM A SERVER THEY DO NOT PLAY ON. What in your mind translated this as I am going to Deny ALL admins.

I know you didn't mean all. I completely understood your post. The only thing I laughed at was the "I don't wanna have to deny admins" as if you really have the power. I thought that was left up to MGR's considering that's denying someone who is paying money.

Let's see, if someone fails the admin school what do you think the mgrs are going to do? Deny that person no? Who decides if he passes or not? Me or oracion. Although I dont have direct power to deny someone's admin, it seems like I still have some power if I can get someone higher up to deny someone.

So pretty much you posted to laugh at that statement I made? Why dont you stay out of this thread then if you cant give supportive critisim. I guess you really have nothing better to do than to try to derail this thread.

Let's see, if someone fails the admin school what do you think the mgrs are going to do? Deny that person no? Who decides if he passes or not? Me or oracion. Although I dont have direct power to deny someone's admin, it seems like I still have some power if I can get someone higher up to deny someone.

So pretty much you posted to laugh at that statement I made? Why dont you stay out of this thread then if you cant give supportive critisim. I guess you really have nothing better to do than to try to derail this thread.

No need to be a dick about it. Last I checked, I offered valid advice and added to the conversation. Just because you don't like what I say, you say I derail. You're fucking hilarious. Anyways, whatever. Do what you will but I'm just gonna cancel my admin subscription.

Yea this is the only thing that would actually stop me from paying for admin.

I can understand if you wanted to impliment an application requirement for admin that's different. You could easily set up a basic questionnaire instead of giving admin to the kid who has their parents credit card or paypal. But setting up "sessions" to test them is stupid. The only logical route is making people apply for it.

So you want all admins to be tested

I'm definitely not sitting down to be "tested" for a computer gaming community. Like Micro said, nobody's going to take this seriously. You have a chance of risking the money you receive through admin subscriptions.

Applying, and setting it up so people are actually 100% clear on the rules is better. You might risk one or two subscriptions for the idiots that don't seem to understand. Just make sure they know the procedure of being an admin. Most of them would be fine, we just seem to get 1 or 2 idiots. Then set up a 3 strikes your out system. It shouldn't be hard to not get 3 strikes. Just do your job by the rules and you're good.

You dont want any admins to be tested, just told how to be admin.

I understand you guys want to clear it up. For a good reason too. But sessions? That's the worst idea yet. It's a gaming clan! On the internet. That right there pretty much makes me laugh. Good luck trying to get every admin subscriber to sit down for a "session". The minute this is implemented, I'm cancelling my subscription. I can't believe sessions would even be debatable.

Ok, when did I say EVERY ADMIN had to come and sit down for the session. I believe the point I was trying to get across was to give sessions to BAD ADMINS that have valid complaints against them and as punishment (along with a suspension of their admin till they pass admin school) they have to attend a session that teaches them what they did wrong with their admin powers.

The Global Rules are posted in one place, putting it on the application for admin isnt going to gurantee that they read it either (maybe the admins we wouldnt have a problem with would read it, but the ones we have problems with would probably not).

The rules are already in the Counter Strike: Source section (so they can be viewed before purchasing admin)

Also on the Server specific Forum for server specific rules

You also mentioned we shouldnt test them, just tell them how to be admin. Then change your mind and say we should test them.

I know you didn't mean all. I completely understood your post. The only thing I laughed at was the "I don't wanna have to deny admins" as if you really have the power. I thought that was left up to MGR's considering that's denying someone who is paying money.
No need to be a dick about it. Last I checked, I offered valid advice and added to the conversation. Just because you don't like what I say, you say I derail. You're fucking hilarious. Anyways, whatever. Do what you will but I'm just gonna cancel my admin subscription.

You contradict yourself and you go off on something that wasnt even brought up before (testing ALL ADMINS) Then you go on to say how I dont have power to deny admins, then later say I was being a dick. Your only helpful advice was to put server rules in the server forums (already been there for a long time). You are against Admin school which is what I get from your posting, but admin school is something that will happen, we are just trying to determine the BEST way it would happen.

Sign in to follow this