Sign in to follow this  
ChosenOne2000

Army Talk

Yeah, my dad was in the AF for 21 years, retired, and still working at a base as an engineer on the huge ass planes.

Also teaches some people there on the shit, too.

Mine's a retired PJ. Now he works for a DoD-contracted company and flies around the world teaching people how to plan and execute certain types of operations, like search and rescue.

Mine's a retired PJ. Now he works for a DoD-contracted company and flies around the world teaching people how to plan and execute certain types of operations, like search and rescue.

Naice. Only thing that sucks is you have to move a shitload when you're living with you're parents. :(

Ok, let me start with some stuff here:

Obviously defiance (admittedly) was never in the military and is very bitter over it. His information is, for the most part, incorrect and based on things he's heard. His comments on cannon fodder and spec ops is obviously wrong as he would have no clue, considering he's never served. Therefore, I would suggest ignoring his statements.

As to what makes the Army better than another military branch... Nothing, honestly. Each branch has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I'll tell you this much, if you join the marines or army, you will deploy, quickly. The Army is by far the largest of the branches and has a multitude of jobs, that being said, due to the numbers, many people feel like they're just statistics, which may or may not be true, it's a perception.

If you want a highly technical field, I would say go Air Force, I would also say go AF if you're not in the best of shape (and don't want to be), no offense to the AF guys, but it's a fact, they focus more on technical things than fitness. If you want to fly.... surprisingly, don't go air force, go navy. They have almost all of the jets, the AF has most of the "big planes" the Army has a majority of the helicopters and the marine has a bit of all of it. If you want to be hardcore, go marines, hands down. they focus primarily on being a killer, no matter what your job is. Coast guard is pretty much the law enforcement of the sea, they can board pretty much any vessel in the water, aside from that, they're similar to the navy, but with specialized rescue missions and border defense missions.

In reply to waffle, it really depends what you do. If you enlist, sometimes you go to basic training, then AIT, then sometimes you can do home-town recruiting until you report to your duty station, sometimes you report immediately... sometimes you deploy to war right away, sometimes you go to your post and work for 3 years without deploying. It's hard to say what will happen because 1) troop deployment cycles are classified 2) you do what you do based on the needs of the Army, which we really can never be sure of.

Another division here is if you go guard/reserves or active duty, obviously the guard/reserve guys relax a bit more since their primary job isn't the military...

What defiance tried to say is completely incorrect. this once or twice a week thing ONLY happens if you join DEP between your jr and sr yr of high school. If you already finished, you go to the recruiting station, take an asvab, go to meps, sign a contract and get a report date. As most people know, a contract is legally binding, you can go to jail for violating that contract. At times, the military has better things to do and will just ignore you if you don't show up for the bus, but they have the legal right to have you arrested and put in jail for "failure to report" Generally.. if you're a non-ideal candidate (read: piece of shit, retard, or criminal) they will not bother coming after you, if you however are a rocket scientist... be ready for the kidnapping.

Also, his defiance's definition of "defecting" is .. wrong. he's obviously poorly educated, and i again stress that he be ignored.

Alright, well im pretty set in stone on joining the air force my only problem is that i have not decided on joining right out of highschool or going to college for 2 years

If i went to a community college for 2 years would that even help out more than just enlisting straight out of highschool and doing the 6 year enlistment (higher rank)

Alright, well im pretty set in stone on joining the air force my only problem is that i have not decided on joining right out of highschool or going to college for 2 years

If i went to a community college for 2 years would that even help out more than just enlisting straight out of highschool and doing the 6 year enlistment (higher rank)

Go to college. I think when you join the army you can be higher ranked if your more educated, So then you can actually fly a plane and make more cash.

Except, im not gonna be a pilot and im going to do foreign languages or air traffic control or something administrative but yea, im also not joining the army either im joining the airforce

ya sorry, thats what i meant same idea.

Being a medic is what I want to be.

I completed a first aid course last month and got perfect on my exam. Not much, but it got me interested into being a paramedic or something.

i can try to answer. u train and go to school and after that im sure u get time to relax before u get put in active duty because u wouldent want someone out of training going in because they would be tired. now i know im not in the army yet but i do know alot about it.

i also have a question do they let ppl with asthma in.

i am in jrotc right now and am going into my third year another question what would i be if i went in after my 4th year?

I'll let driz answer the training question. Asthma is a grey area. Medically, asthma is over diagnosed and by regulation excludes people from military service. HOWEVER, they are waivers in place to compensate for it being over diagnosed. Usually if the last asthma attack was over 3-5 years ago AND didn’t require hospitalization, a wavier COULD be granted.

I also participated in JROTC in high school and received a 4 year ROTC Scholarship. The best advice I can give you is to contact the ROTC of the university you want to attend no later than the Spring of your Senior year. There is no "perfect" formula for receiving a ROTC Scholarship; however after school participation (Drill Team, Color Guard, Raiders) is highly encouraged.

If you receive an Associates Degree prior to enlisting you start as an E-3. If you receive a Bachelors Degree prior to enlisting you start as an E-4. However if you go the Bachelors route, you want to consider receiving a commission.

Being a medic is what I want to be.

I completed a first aid course last month and got perfect on my exam. Not much, but it got me interested into being a paramedic or something.

:) :) :)

The best thing about being a medic is you get all your medical training for free. I'm glad you pasted your First Aid exam. The minimum training EVERY medic receives (Army, Navy, Air Force) is EMT-Basic.

If you receive an Associates Degree prior to enlisting you start as an E-3. If you receive a Bachelors Degree prior to enlisting you start as an E-4. However if you go the Bachelors route, you want to consider receiving a commission.

This. Again, if you're going to bother with college at all, get your BA (you'll need it anyways later on if you want to be anything above Staff Sergeant) and do AFROTC. Unless you win a scholarship (you are required to contract in order to accept it) you aren't obligated to stay in AFROTC until you do Field Training in the summer between your Sophomore and Junior years. Once you complete FT, you contract up and the military owns you, barring you fucking up or getting seriously injured. Upside to that though is that from then on you start getting paid a tax-free monthly stipend. $450/month for third year cadets (AS300s) and $500/month for fourth year cadets (AS400s).

I'm in my fourth year of AFROTC right now, and looking back on it I'd say it's a worthwhile investment. It doesn't eat that much time, the money is nice especially if you get a scholarship (mine covers my entire tuition), and if you're going to join the military you might as well go in as an officer. Starting as an O-1 instead of an E-1 (or even E-3) is a huge jump in pay. Plus given today's economy, a guaranteed job with benefits right off the bat is win.

To elaborate a bit on what Driz points out, the USAF indeed oddly enough is more technical-stuff-oriented than flying-oriented. While we do still have fighter aircraft, most of our pilots nowadays go into cargo, bombers, and UAVs. Especially UAVs. And most USAF personnel never fly.

See my highschool grades are not where they are at or where they should be for ROTC im pretty sure, i have like a 2.8 up until jr year but i wonder if i can increase it senior year but yea, i just dont get the whole ROTC thing can you enlighten me with EVERYTHING in an around it because i may be wrong and that might be the most viable option

Driz, wrong. While it was true I never fully got into the military, I did do what I posted. Whether you want to believe that or not is your problem.

If you do not believe me, call this station, and if Gunnery Sgt. Amaya is there, you can call him and ask him about me.

(PM me for the information)

He'll probably talk shit because I personally told him to fuck off.

you do in fact get higher rank sometimes, although if you're going to do 2 yrs, why not find a school with air force rotc, get a scholarship, and become an officer?

i can try to answer. u train and go to school and after that im sure u get time to relax before u get put in active duty because u wouldent want someone out of training going in because they would be tired. now i know im not in the army yet but i do know alot about it.

i also have a question do they let ppl with asthma in.

i am in jrotc right now and am going into my third year another question what would i be if i went in after my 4th year?

if you complete 4 yrs and enlist, you go in as an E-3. if you have a 4 yr degree you can go in as an E4 or an O1 (if you do ocs)

See my highschool grades are not where they are at or where they should be for ROTC im pretty sure, i have like a 2.8 up until jr year but i wonder if i can increase it senior year but yea, i just dont get the whole ROTC thing can you enlighten me with EVERYTHING in an around it because i may be wrong and that might be the most viable option

ROTC looks for something called "Scholar, Athlete, Leader". As long as you have a 2.5 or an above and you are active in after school activities you are a prime candidate. As always, higher is better.

you can get into ROTC with those grades, the only time the grades really affect college rotc is when you try to get scholarships... it works like any other, they're competitive and you need good grades... bring your grades up in HS, and apply for a ROTC scholarship before school starts, if you dont get it, keep applying each year, if you get good grades during college, for your last 2 yrs you can get a 2 yr scholarship...

If you want more info (chosen and i did rotc in 2004) i would contact the recruitment operations officer in an ROTC program near you.. the rotc program has changed a bit since we were in it.

Driz, wrong. While it was true I never fully got into the military, I did do what I posted. Whether you want to believe that or not is your problem.

If you do not believe me, call this station, and if Gunnery Sgt. Amaya is there, you can call him and ask him about me.

(PM me for the information)

He'll probably talk shit because I personally told him to fuck off.

dude... just shh. i dont care what you said to anyone.. you aren't military, you dont know anything about it... they didn't lock you up because, as i said, they dont care about losing the retards.

Guest Waffle

EPIC SHIT IS GOING DOWN! MORE EPIC THAN THE IRAQ WAR! CHOSEN AND DRIZ VS DEFIANCE! WHO IS THE INSURGENT? I DON'T CARE IT'S EPIC! No offense. Just had to, tensions were rising. Thought it would give some laughs and help everyone calm down.

On topic - Howard are you serious, that's the exact recruitment officer? Lol.

Okay, random question to ask then.

Is getting into the army, and being in the army as hardcore as I imagine it to be? I'm assuming that it is, since it is well, the army, but is it really that strict when doing your service?