Sign in to follow this  
AnarchyX6942

The Death Of the Gaming Rig?

I read this article today about this system called "OnLive" which is supposed to do away with those expensive computer rigs you keep around the house. Essentially it works by hosting the actual game client on their own servers, and then streams you the video of the game. You then stream back the controls/commands to the server. It will allow players to play games in HD even if they don't have good computers. Dunno, just thought it looked interesting.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-10202688-235.html

Very interesting idea and i look forward to seeing how this turns out, but this definitely isn't the death of the gaming rig, many people build high performance rigs as a hobby, and they just love to do it, i am one of those people, and will always be building a newer and better rig then the one i currently have.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoinStar13 @ Mar 24 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Streaming HD content; like my ISP will like that idea.

I'm in the same boat. Except probably for different reasons (I'm assuming CoinStar has bandwith limits) I have DSL. There's no way I'm streaming HD content, plus that's never going to work. Quote me if you want, I'm going to say that this will never take off. The idea is good, but it's execution will be bad. It's going to cost the company millions (potentially) to process every users HD video and independantly stream it to them.

Would make torrenting so easy to get away with... win.

The lag on it might be a pisser though. You have to download the image. Then send your inputs, then wait for your responses to come back.