Sign in to follow this  
Hyperwhoar

Does weed kill your brain cells?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

Two new scientific studies have failed to find evidence

of brain damage in monkeys exposed to marijuana, undercutting

claims that marijuana causes brain damage in humans.

The studies were conducted by two independent

research groups. The first, conducted by Dr. William Slikker,

Jr. and others at the National Center for Toxicological Research

in Arkansas examined some 64 rhesus monkeys, half of which

were exposed to daily or weekly doses of marijuana smoke for

a year. The other, by Gordon T. Pryor and Charles Rebert at SRI

International in Menlo Park, California, which is still

unpublished, looked at over 30 rhesus monkeys that had inhaled

marijuana one to three times a day over periods of 6 to 12

months. Neither study found evidence of structural or

neurochemical changes in the brains of the monkeys when

examined a few months after cessation of smoking.

The new results cast doubt on earlier studies

purporting to show brain damage in animals. The most famous

of these was a study by Dr. Robert Heath, who claimed to find

brain damage in three monkeys heavily exposed to cannabis.

Heath's results failed to win general acceptance in the

scientific community because of the small number of subjects,

questionable controls, and heavy doses.

Subsequent rat experiments by Dr. Slikker and others

reported persistent structural changes in the brain cells of

rats chronically exposed to THC. The studies did not show that

pot kills brain cells, as alleged by some pot critics, but they

did show degeneration of the nerve connections between brain

cells in the hippocampus, where THC is known to be active.

Although scientists have regarded the animal evidence

as inconclusive, some critics have cited it as proof that pot

causes brain damage in humans. Thus Andrew Mecca, the

director of California Department of Alcohol and Drug Abuse,

recently stated on the Ron Reagan, Jr. talk show (Sep. 2, 1991)

that marijuana "leaves a black protein substance in the

synaptic cleft" of brain cells, a claim apparently based on

Heath's monkeys. When asked by a NORML member for his

evidence, Mecca sent a list of three references, none of which

turned out to have anything to do with brain damage.

Although the new monkey studies found no physical

brain damage, they did observe behavioral changes from

marijuana. Slikker's group found that monkeys exposed once a

day to the human equivalent of four or five joints showed

persistent effects throughout the day. Slikker says that the

effects faded gradually after they were taken off marijuana,

and were not detectable seven months later, when they were

sacrificed. Autopsies did reveal lingering chemical changes in

the immune cells in the lungs of monkeys that had inhaled THC.

However, Slikker's group concluded that experimental exposure

to marijuana smoke "does not compromise the general health of

the rhesus monkey."

References:

William Slikker, Jr. et al, "Chronic Marijuana Smoke Exposure in the Rhesus

Monkey," Fundamental and Applied Toxicology 17: 321-32 (1991)

Guy Cabral et al, "Chronic Marijuana Smoke Alters Alveolar Macrophage

Morphology and Protein Expression, Pharmacology Biochemistry and

Behavior 40: 643-9 (1991)

Merle Paule et al., "Chronic Marijuana Smoke Exposure in the Rhesus Monkey

II: Effects on Progressive Ratio and Conditioned Position

Responding," Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics

260: 210-22 (1992)

Discuss.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kyle Esoovac @ Nov 4 2008, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

It doesn't matter if weed kills brain cells or not, people still do stupid shit when they smoke it. If they do legalize it, even more people will do idiotic stuff.

yes stupid things will be done. But have you ever heard of someone killing some because of weed?

Don't fool yourself, they tested it on a monkey, last time i checked a monkey isn't a human, different things have different effects on different SPECIES, Marijuana and weed do lots of harm to the human body, most of the time you don't know it until it's too late to do anything about it...

I don't believe so.

I've read that smoking marijuana impairs learning skills, but my friend smokes it everyday of his life, and manages to maintain a 3.8 GPA every year.

Also forgot to add. Think about how you smoke weed. You inhale and hold. Of course it kills brain cells. Now which brain cells it kills I don't know, and weed effects people differently. I smoked a lot of weed and grew out of it. The same high every time. Got lame.

My opinion - don't smoke. Its not worth it. All that shit that stays in your lungs.

They just decriminalized weed in Mass. lol Now if you get caught with under 1oz it is like a speeding ticket. I live in Rhode Island, and we usually follow what mass and Ct do as far as law go. So i cant wait!

In a rich neighborhood around my town, kids stuffed brownies with weed, and give it to their classmates, and everyone got highhhh.

Look it up on Google, West Bloomfield Weed Brownies.

Let me tell you something about drugs. All drugs effect everyone differently. They may be the same type of feeling, but intensity, duration, symptoms, and side effects vary widely. So before you judge someone on drugs take into consideration other factors and the reasons they use the drug. Some drugs are therapeutic. Some users abuse the drug. Some users are responsible. Some drug addicts are judges, cops, politicians, respectable business owners, hobos, teens, seniors and doctors. Drug use can be beneficial when used correctly and with caution. Marijuana is no different than tylenol in that they both are used to treat pain. One does damage to your lungs, the other does damage to your liver and kidneys. Pick your poison. Ray Charles was a heroine addict for 50 or 60 years. As long as he got his dose he lived an otherwise normal and productive life. SO, readjust your idea of the drug addict because drug addicts come in all shapes and sizes.

The only time I smoke weed is after a long day and often I'll just lay out in the sun on a blanket and just relax and let my thoughts take me places. Or sometimes I'll just play with the puppies, that's good fun too. And occasionally I'll take a few puffs before doing something because when I do homework on my compooter I find I lose focus easily and end up watching "Whose Line Is It Anyways" clips on YouTube.

I dont think weed is illegal because of the chemicals in it.

BTW, i have seen weed make people change, and for the most part it wasn't a good change.+

but weed did help my friend quit crystal meth..

Well, if weed was legalized the illegal drug crimes from it would stop. Crimes like murder and violence over the drug.

While under the effects of THC one isn't normally a violent person, unlike alcohol. The dealing of drugs is what causes the violent crimes. The same thing would probably happen if alcohol was outlawed. Most of the time when people are "high" they drive safer because they are paranoid and the only dangerous thing I see them doing is eating too much and getting fat.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachmanman @ Nov 5 2008, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Well, if weed was legalized the illegal drug crimes from it would stop. Crimes like murder and violence over the drug.

While under the effects of THC one isn't normally a violent person, unlike alcohol. The dealing of drugs is what causes the violent crimes. The same thing would probably happen if alcohol was outlawed. Most of the time when people are "high" they drive safer because they are paranoid and the only dangerous thing I see them doing is eating too much and getting fat.

Zach, that is my whole argument about legalizing all drugs. If it were legal the price on the street would plummet. Same with cocaine, heroine, and other powerful narcotics. This price drop would make crime related to drugs almost completely vanish. With all the junkies and addicts supplied, they would not be stealing, murdering, and conning to get it. Same is true for gangs. You would literally put gangs and drug cartels out of business. There would be no need to kill each other over products that don't hold very much value.

Everyone should open there minds to other possibilities. We have never done it this way before. The way we are currently enforcing drugs is a terrible failure. We have over populated prisons and literally can't afford to house all of the offenders. I guarantee that half of you will say, "Well if the government doesn't enforce it then all kinds of dumb kids will get it." Well think about it? Doesn't that already happen? Haven't you already made a choice one way or another? I guarantee that anyone here could find the drugs I'm talking about without too much effort. The key to legalizing all drugs is education. We need to educate people and especially young people who may be thinking of trying certain things. There needs to further studies and more scientific facts involved. Tell people why the drugs are bad and what they will do to your body. Leave out the scare tactics and stick to the facts. I bet kids would take it more seriously if the scare tactics weren't applied.

I used to smoke weed for my chronic back pain, and I might be going back, idk its just easier,

not to mention it cures stomach aches headaches and stomach flu, 3 things i hate most about being sick.

Guest UrbanerMezei

The only reason weed isn't legal is the government has not put into place a successful plan to tax and control it's distribution, see prohibition of alcohol.

I say give it another 10 years.

Guest some fag

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SwitchBlade @ Nov 4 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Don't fool yourself, they tested it on a monkey, last time i checked a monkey isn't a human, different things have different effects on different SPECIES, Marijuana and weed do lots of harm to the human body, most of the time you don't know it until it's too late to do anything about it...

Marijuana and weed are the exact same thing...

And yes, pot does affect your brain... If it didn't, tell me why most of my friends who smoke on a daily basis have such horrible short term memory? My buddy will seriously just trail off mid-sentence and forget what he was saying, and no, he doesn't do anything other than smoke pot.