Sign in to follow this  
Windmill

Google Fiber

It says you pay for pre-registration, then if you dont get enough your area wont be selected. I'm just wondering if they get refunded or what?

Edited by Necrophenia

It says you pay for pre-registration, then if you dont get enough your area wont be selected. I'm just wondering if they get refunded or what?

no, the 2nd most registered area will get it 2nd, and so on. it's not just "one area will get it, sorry about the rest of you"

Nobody cares about Wisconsin. :(

got that right =p

Edited by Nitestalker

If you don't get selected you get refunded.

Source: I live in fucking Kansas city

Gigabit's a little silly. It reminds me of when I had 7mbps back in 2000. 0% of websites could take advantage of it. Really the only point to it is if you want to use Google's shitty cloud storage service Drive. Since it's on their network, you'd probably get close to the full speeds. Even at 25mbps, I only get full speeds on the occasional torrent and NNTP.

Gigabit's a little silly. It reminds me of when I had 7mbps back in 2000. 0% of websites could take advantage of it. Really the only point to it is if you want to use Google's shitty cloud storage service Drive. Since it's on their network, you'd probably get close to the full speeds. Even at 25mbps, I only get full speeds on the occasional torrent and NNTP.

id have 1000mbps over my shitty 150kbps connection any day

More is always better, but I'm perfectly happy with 25mbps. Now if they decide to make lower tier speeds for cheaper, like 100mbps for $20/mo, I'd be all over that.