Sign in to follow this  
Kelso

Getting A New HDD

Wondering what size I should get. I'm thinking 250gb, 7200, 16mb SATA. I'm not paying for a VelociRaptor or anything like that, just want some recommendations for some reliable and fast hard drives, as I've never bought one before. I shouldn't really need 250gb, but 80gb isn't enough room for all of the games I torrent, and there's a good 15 games that I need to install from CDs yet.

The primary reason that I need a new hdd is because my old one is IDE (ewwww) and I have a micro atx mobo (EWWWW) that can only support one IDE slot, which right now at this point, is obviously my hard drive and not my disk drive. Any help is appreciated.

Samsung are doing pretty well for HDD.

But Western Digital are good for HDD with the lesser space. 250Gb or less.

Western Digital Caviar SE16 (250GB).

But TBH, you can get a decent drive with all the space you want for not alot more.

This is what i have. Samsung SpinPoint F1 (750GB)

Fast, quiet and alot of space for the money.

I'm getting a TB hard drive when I get the money for my Windows install, then devoting my 100 gig hard drive to a Linux distro that I haven't decided yet. Mostly off-topic, but I figured I throw my 2 cents in.

Seagate isn't better then WD. I had 2 seagate hd's they keep fucking up year after year. Then treid out WD lasted for then 2 years, plus the computer running all day long, and sometimes the whole week.

Guest some fag

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (When in doubt whip it out @ Sep 25 2008, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Seagate Barricuda. Better than WD and 5 year warranty. Had a Seagate Barricuda that lasted me and my dad 15 years no problems. Only swapped it due to capacity issues.

Highly recommended.

22-148-309-01.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148309

Known Seagate to have problems out the ass. Another CS:S player, and long time "internet buddy" has had problems with every Seagate he's owned in recent years- bought Maxtor and WD and never had problems.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chronx @ Sep 25 2008, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

So ur saying that u can only buy IDE. If so newegg, has really good deals on 160 to 250gb hardrives.

... No. I need SATA due to lack of IDE on the mobo.

I'll likely get a Western Digital. It's what I have now and hasn't failed over 7 years...

I like WD and Maxtor. My friend and I have both had problems with Seagate.

Kelso, the computer age is advancing. I would get at least 500GB if you can afford it. I made the mistake of getting a 160GB and it is now full along with my 80gig ATA...

Hmm, strange you're all having problems with Seagate. Must be a hardware related issue. I've used Seagate in every computer I've used. Worked flawlessly in all of my systems.

And yeah 500gb is the way to go. Got mine over summer. It'll be a while before I fill this thing up.

this is what I have. I will never get Western digital again after 2 tries. Even all the computer techs I met from MIT never use Western Digital. Its like that hit or miss game. I've never had problems with Seagate. I would recommend this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148262

you know I'd never steer my kelso wrong.

Edit: Also I would also invest in a external for your torrents. Just my tip

Already have an external, which I use to store all of my folders containing the already unzipped cracked stuff on it. No way in hell would I retorrent all of my games, Mass Effect took around 120 hours... Brutal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chronx @ Sep 26 2008, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Well who would go ide anymore. IDe is the old ages. Sata2 is the new age

Most people still keep their IDE drives from previous rigs for their new rig, and don't buy a new HD to cut down costs..

Most new motherboards still come with at least one port for it, still.

I'm on a Western Digital Caviar(?) 80GB, and it's been great since the three years ago I put it together.

I also know Zeus still uses an IDE 60GB WDC, even though he has a "new"(pcie/775) setup.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chronx @ Sep 26 2008, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Well who would go ide anymore. IDe is the old ages. Sata2 is the new age

What's the point of SataII, a skinny cable?

Hard drives haven't yet advanced to using the kind of bandwidth available with SATA and probably never will.

Got a SATAII 320 gb Western Digital, had trouble finding a good key for Windows XP Pro, but I found somebody's key from a BelArc report, poor bastard.

Works great.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoinStar13 @ Sep 27 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

What's the point of SataII, a skinny cable?

Hard drives haven't yet advanced to using the kind of bandwidth available with SATA and probably never will.

Because retarted people think that sataII is "teh best kind hardrive" and that sataI sucks ass lol. When the thing they don't know is it's just a red cable labeled sataII. Basically it braging rights lol, to ppl that don't know shit about computers. Like my friend got a new computer (HP) with a intregrated GPU, Intel E2200 pentuim dou, and vista. He thinks his computer is better then mine cuz he got vista, and i have a 250GB HD and he 320GB HD he thinks it will pwn my computer. SO i just laugh at him. lol.