Sign in to follow this  
AnarchyX6942

PSP Owners

So I have a massive stack of ebooks here, but no real way to use them asides from sitting in front of my monitor 24-7 reading them. I was wondering if there is a way to set up my PSP to read them, without having to crack it if possible. I've never installed custom firmware before and am quite worried about bricking it.

Guest Fohacidal

Its actually really hard to impossible to brick your PSP if you put CFW on it and follow the directions, its pretty easy to. But there is no way with OFW

And what are those, CFW and OFW? I know nothing about PSP cracks. I have a PSP fat (I think, I have a first gen one, bought it a month or so after it came out) sporting the lastest firmware. Any chance you could walk me through it.

With the latest firmware you'll likely need a pandora battery (you can get them off Ebay) in order to reset the firmware to an earlier version. Sony has been doing their damndest to make it tougher to put custom firmware on the PSPs.

Jeese aloo... Would it be possible to convert the ebooks to HTML and then open them with the browser? Homebrew is nice and all, but spending another $40 bucks for it doesn't seem all that worth it to me. Either that or does someone have one I can borrow?

Guest Fohacidal

CFW is custom firmware, OFW is official firmware.

Anyway Fat PSPs are MUCH easier to crack, mind telling me which firmware version your has?

Its an old system but I'm still running the latest firmware. Its 4.05. I might crack it open myself soon too, the joystick is getting a bit loose. Plus the damn thumb cover thingie fell off two months after I got it so I'm just playing with a post now.

By "crack" he essentially means "hack". The fat PSPs have less in the way of security on them being that they were first and Sony didn't really foresee the "custom firmware" issue. By the time the Slim PSPs were released, Sony got smarter and put in some security measures, though there are ways around them such as the Pandora battery.

As I said, if you're running the latest firmware then you're more than likely going to have to get your hands on a Pandora battery in order to back-track to the older firmwares.

By "crack" he essentially means "hack". The fat PSPs have less in the way of security on them being that they were first and Sony didn't really foresee the "custom firmware" issue. By the time the Slim PSPs were released, Sony got smarter and put in some security measures, though there are ways around them such as the Pandora battery.

As I said, if you're running the latest firmware then you're more than likely going to have to get your hands on a Pandora battery in order to back-track to the older firmwares.

I know what he meant. I meant litterally opening the thing up. See if there's something I can do with the joystick. Can you send PSP's back in to get serviced? I may cost some money, but I think it might be worth it, then hack it later. Can someone point me to a guide or something so that I can crack it? Either that or whip me up one?

I know what he meant. I meant litterally opening the thing up. See if there's something I can do with the joystick. Can you send PSP's back in to get serviced? I may cost some money, but I think it might be worth it, then hack it later. Can someone point me to a guide or something so that I can crack it? Either that or whip me up one?

You could probably buy another joystick for cheaper than Sony repair costs, they're damn easy to install too. I guarantee you can find a guide on j00tube. As for Fat PSP cracking, I'd recommend getting a Pandora Battery, or another Sony battery and cutting the wire. I've never cut the wire, but I guess it's pretty easy as long as you're careful. You can get a Pandora Battery Yes, I know, it's not needed. But it simplifies the process a lot.

http://www.pandorabattery.net/pabamest.html

This is a full suite. Preformatted "Magic" Memory Stick and Pandora Battery.

Guide Below:

If you chose to only buy the Battery, here's a guide for that:

(guide will be done in a short time)