Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bluestreakid15

In-home mice exterminating

I just watched a mouse run across some stuff in my attic. I know that means there's more. I need the fastest way to eliminate them and get them the hell out of my house. Has anyone ever dealt with mice in their house before? What worked for you?

Any trap ideas / tips?

When I use to have mice, I found that sticky traps worked better than the snare traps in my situation.  For the bait, i just put some peanut butter on the middle of the sticky traps.

I've had mice in my house growing up a few times, as well once when I was on my own. It's pretty terrible. One good way is setting up a water trap so they drown. Another is good old fashion mouse traps. The drowning method works better because it gets more but I don't recommend it if you have other animals or kids around. There's also this guy on youtube who does mouse trap videos. You might find whats best looking up various mouse traps on their channel. Can't think of the link at the moment but it wouldn't be hard to find his content.

10 hours ago, MistaChang said:

I've had mice in my house growing up a few times, as well once when I was on my own. It's pretty terrible. One good way is setting up a water trap so they drown. Another is good old fashion mouse traps. The drowning method works better because it gets more but I don't recommend it if you have other animals or kids around. There's also this guy on youtube who does mouse trap videos. You might find whats best looking up various mouse traps on their channel. Can't think of the link at the moment but it wouldn't be hard to find his content.

I think this is what he is talking about 

5 hours ago, spiderpigrider said:

I think this is what he is talking about 

I watched that video right before I posted this! I was thinking about making one of those, I currently have a trap with some poison blocks in them. I'll check them out tomorrow and the next day... if I need one of those I'll make one.

My wife and I used to live in a basement apartment with a few mice here and there. We would use glue traps, they never got out of them. We would just set them up where we saw them run. I think we got rid of 2 or 3 that way and didn't have too much of a problem afterwards. I'm glad we don't live there anymore though because my wife couldn't stand it.

I can't find the post but their was a hilarious post on reddit about scaring the shit out of mice then setting them free. You trap them alive then put them in a jar with high bass music for an hour or two and shake up the jar then set them free. Mice emit a scent when they are scared to warn other mice that it isn't safe. lol

You could try soaking some cotton balls in peppermint oil. They supposedly don't like that smell. If they haven't made your home their home yet that could get rid of them. Just because you saw a mouse doesn't mean they have moved in yet. If it was cold outside field mice will often find their way into homes for warmth. 

As for traps there are ones which have a hole they go into and kills them and its enclosed so you don't have to look at your newly murdered rat friend.