Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apache

Restoring Internet Freedom

I'm genuinely surprised no one else has posted about this. For those that are out of the loop The FCC are in the process of abolishing net neutrality. No matter where you stand on the political spectrum this is bad for all of us. I highly recommend you watch TotalBiscuit's video on this he explains it much better than I can. If this act gets passed you can very well expect your internet prices to go up, expect to have to pay extra to visit popular websites, expect your internet speed to slow down, expect to be throttled, and expect that many sites will be hidden from you. This act quite literally only benefits you if you are the CEO of an Internet service provider. If you are in the US and are of legal age to vote please contact your congressman by email, phone, or whatever. Here is a site (  https://www.battleforthenet.com/  ) that has been leading the charge to keep net neutrality and they have many ways for you to contact the FCC and your congressman. Please do not stand around and do nothing, that is the worst thing that we could do, and I for one love to play games with this community and would hate to have to give it up because I cannot afford to pay my ISP extra for a bundle. 

Here's a small idea of what to expect if you do nothing. 

what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagr

Here is TotalBiscuit's video

And if you are looking for even more sources or proof here you go

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/07/how-title-ii-goes-beyond-net-neutrality-to-protect-internet-users-from-isps/

https://www.reddit.com/r/blog/comments/6mtgtp/we_need_your_voice_as_we_continue_the_fight_for/

3 hours ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

Its almost as if we shouldn't have elected republicans that have wanted to remove net neutrality for a long time to officeKappaRoss

Yes because this whole thing only started when a republican took office ;D

For those interested in some reading. 

Original oral statement from Ajit Pai

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-344948A2.pdf

Dissenting opinion from a commissioner 

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-344948A3.pdf

Concurring opinion from a commisioner

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-344948A4.pdf

Just now, SpartanSakaro said:

Yes because this whole thing only started when a republican took office ;D

Republicans.  This is possible because the republicans who've wanted this for awile have gottem enough power recently. 

Rather than pointing fingers at each other how about you two add something useful to this discussion. Need I remind you that this is serious discussion, flaming and pointing fingers will get you nowhere 

@fatb0y Thankyou for posting those, I hadn't seen them yet

2 hours ago, Apache said:

Rather than pointing fingers at each other how about you two add something useful to this discussion. Need I remind you that this is serious discussion, flaming and pointing fingers will get you nowhere 

I Fail to see how what I said is me pointing a finger, I honestly thought he was joking until his follow up post. Also you say this is a serious discussion but what you typed has even less relevance to the topic then what we had posted. 

If anything talking about how it's the government's fault we are forced to have to fight for this over and over again seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to talk about in this discussion. But hey what do I know am I right ;D

7 hours ago, Apache said:

Votes for Republicans.  Makes post mad about net neutrality being removed. Gets mad when someone points out republicans are doing something he's angry about on a political post he himself made:kms: my post was simply pointing out what's to blame for this. If you're legitimately mad at me pointing out which party ia voting against your stated interests on this then why bother making a thread at all lmao

Your both right, I lost my cool and I am sorry. I am currently under a lot of stress/ pressure, and it's unlike me to lose my cool like that, SO again @Ordinarygamer96 I apologize to you for being an ass, you have your views and I have mine. For the record though, I do regret voting for Trump, but I do not regret not voting for Hilary. I've learned my lesson and next time I'll go with the candidate I support the most, rather than the more popular one.  

@SpartanSakaro Same thing as above, I'm under a lot of stress right now, and I took it out on both of you. That was my bad and I am sorry. 

Just now, Apache said:

Your both right, I lost my cool and I am sorry. I am currently under a lot of stress/ pressure, and it's unlike me to lose my cool like that, SO again @Ordinarygamer96 I apologize to you for being an ass, you have your views and I have mine. For the record though, I do regret voting for Trump, but I do not regret not voting for Hilary. I've learned my lesson and next time I'll go with the candidate I support the most, rather than the more popular one.  

@SpartanSakaro Same thing as above, I'm under a lot of stress right now, and I took it out on both of you. That was my bad and I am sorry. 

I accept your apology.  If this sort of issue concerns you  alot then Bernie would have been who to look at originally.  He was the strongest supporter of net neutrality.  Hillary also was pretty strongly in support of it

1 hour ago, Apache said:

For the record though, I do regret voting for Trump, but I do not regret not voting for Hilary. I've learned my lesson and next time I'll go with the candidate I support the most, rather than the more popular one.

I'll just say that whenever he had the opportunity, Trump repeatedly attacked Net Neutrality as a government takeover throughout his campaign that punished conservatives. This has more or less been the stance of conservative politicians for nearly a decade and it's not exactly a secret that they've been trying to undermine it while the Democrats have trying to keep Net Neutrality protections intact. Both Hillary and Bernie believed Net Neutrality gave important protections to consumers and they vowed to protect it. While there a handful of Democrats that will vote against Internet protections, it's overwhelmingly Republicans spearheading this issue.

If you want to protect Net Neutrality, it's wise at the very least to acknowledge who you're fighting against and who is on your side.

Just now, JFK said:

Trump repeatedly attacked Net Neutrality as a government takeover throughout his campaign that punished conservatives. 

Because that is exactly what it is. How punishing it is to conservatives in general is arguable, but it is definitely punishing to a select few conservatives. 

Just now, Apache said:

For those interested, this is senator Flakes response to my email urging him to vote no.

28e75749cb9f62c6cb31b15126c0b8ce.png

looks like a hella copy paste reply lol. Sounds like he basically said to get over it.