Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sean

Build Log - July 6th 2017

Hey everyone,

I've been mostly an incremental upgrader for the past few years, and finally decided to hit the button this last week on almost all my parts.

I decided to keep my GTX 970 for now due to high costs from cryptocurrency mining. Once costs go down, I will be upgrading to the latest card.

I had the following parts previously:

Intel core i5 3450

Asus P85D Motherboard

Corsair H60 AIO Watercooler

EVGA GTX 970

8GB of DDR3 Ripjaw RAM

Two 256GB SSDs

One 2TB HDD

Corsair 600w non modular PSU

Fractal Design r4

Other than the GTX 970, all my drivers and watercooler were carried over to the new build. I'm getting a new watercooler soon, but decided that this one's good enough for now. On to the new parts:

Intel Core i5-6600k

Asus Z170-E

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 8GBx2 @ 3000mhz

EVGA Supernova 650watt gold rated modular PSU

NZXT S340

NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting

After benchmarking and stock CPU clock and comparing to my previous scores, I consider this upgrade wonderful. I was getting around 60-80FPS in PUBG at 1440p, now I'm getting upwards of 120-140fps

All other games got a significant performance boost, and I'm sure it'll be much higher once I start overclocking the 6600k

Anyways, here's a picture for your enjoyment. I haven't installed the RGB Lighting yet but that'll come later. Let me know what you guys think.

5f6a8defa8a240fba5147662d6636738.jpg

do you plan on overclocking? I have an i7-4790k and was wondering if it was really worth it because I feel like my 1080 might be getting bottle-necked

Just now, Hay0ger.Tonee said:

do you plan on overclocking? I have an i7-4790k and was wondering if it was really worth it because I feel like my 1080 might be getting bottle-necked

Yeah. 

Your 4790k will not bottleneck, it's a pretty high end CPU still, you should overclock regardless if you can afford to.

I love my i5-6600k and if you delid it and apply a better thermal compound you can overclock it with better temps compared to the stock paste they have.

Does that case feel flimsy at all? I've read some reviews and I still can't decide what case I should get. The hue+ is on my list along with the s340 elite

26 minutes ago, Scrub said:

Does that case feel flimsy at all? I've read some reviews and I still can't decide what case I should get. The hue+ is on my list along with the s340 elite

Nah, it's well built. I really like the case, the only issue with it is the flimsy plexiglass front window.

I got the case for a great price so I'm not complaining, but if you would can afford to get the elite, you should. I was going to get it but I couldn't pass on the price for this one.

Just now, Sean said:

Nah, it's well built. I really like the case, the only issue with it is the flimsy plexiglass front window.

I got the case for a great price so I'm not complaining, but if you would can afford to get the elite, you should. I was going to get it but I couldn't pass on the price for this one.

DAMN. new pc rig and a galaxy s8. moving up in life sean