Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trav

How does your city deal with pan handlers/beggars?

It is against the law here but cops don't really do anything about them unless the become a problem! My feeling is most of them here are drug users who are to lazy to get jobs so fuck them I don't give them but tell them when the next job fair is!

Detroit panhandlers can regularly harass people walking by. I've had to physically fight a "homeless" guy one time because he kept following me around and grabbing me. Most of the time they'll try to pull you in a conversation to make it more awkward for you to just walk away but I'm conditioned to just go "I don't have anything for you" and keep walking, it's easier that way. That's what happens when your police force is strained across a city, it gets harder to take care of spontaneous and short-lived situations.

As a Residential Advisor of a campus apartment, I've had to kick out a "homeless" guy out three times for trying to have a "heart attack" in our main lobby. First time he did it, I called EMS and Wayne State Public Safety. Then he did it twice more within a week and I figured he was trying to get a free drug prescription from the Detroit Medical Center and told him to fuck off.

My city, Vancouver, pretty much lets them be. The only time anything is "done" is if they're being aggressive or harassing people for handouts. The general stance is that it would be too costly, and there is little point, to police panhandlers. I've never had a problem with any of 'em personally, though that may be because I'm a big guy.

I don't mind 'em, I typically ignore them. If I'm feeling generous I may buy a meal for someone if they ask, since that way I know where the money is being spent, and as a general rule I refuse to hand out cash.