Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trav

Bombing in Manchester at Ariana Grande Concert

30 minutes ago, Dr. NarwhalsNumbNuts IV said:

But what's your stance on extremists and all of this? 

I believe it's 'bollocks', since it's a British site.

Personally, I think the religion needs to be even more modernized than it is now, especially overseas. Condemning these acts is not enough. Martyrdom and the ideas surrounding it within the Islamic religion needs to change. Obviously it will be harder to convince extremists but I think you need to start somewhere and contest the ideas of the religion itself rather than simply stating "Not my Islam". One of the biggest reasons there are jihadists on planet earth is because of Islam and to deny that is just crazy at this point. There are ideas within every religion that had modernized over time but it seems that modernization within Islam has been the slowest due to the nature of the book of Qur'an. Communism could not have been defeated without an ideological struggle that picked away at its moral assumptions. The struggle against Islamism isn’t so different.

Along with the views the religion has, politically we are not doing ourselves any favours by entering other countries and bombing their people for whatever retarded reason the United States comes up with. Unintentionally, the US has become a fantastic recruiter for the Islamic State and it is clear something needs to change with our view of them and how to solve the problem. When I heard Donald Trump say, "We're going to bomb the shit out of them!" during the campaign trail, all I could think was how naive that solution is. In general the greed and vanity of the US and the 'West' in general need to tone it the fuck down. As well the hypocrisy and fear surrounding the views on the middle east have become too out of proportion in my eyes --the fear of potential immediate terror is getting too carried away. Yes the Islamic State and other jihadist groups do not require pretexts for violence but the core jihadist objection to the West concerns our values, not our policies. The journalists at Charlie Hebdo weren’t murdered for advocating neoconservative positions. In my eyes it's a war of ideas and bombing them is not going to solve shit... it's going to make it worse.

I won't even start with how society turns a cold-shoulder to young adult men with mental health issues.

Just looking at this video alone conveys a bit of what I think. This video represents how other countries view the stereotypical American. And to top it off, he's your President of all people. As a Canadian, I see and think this. Who the fuck knows how the Middle East views it.