Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JXC

Themes hw help

I don't know why I keep coming here for homework help, but you are all very nice people who make very well crafted, thoughtful answers, so I would just like to thank the SG community!

Anyway, I was writing a narrative for my English class, and I was trying to find another way to phrase the theme "You can't let a couple of bad times ruin a trip". That sounded a bit wordy to me, so I've been trying to rephrase that to a 10th-grade level. If anyone could help me out, that would be greatly appreciated!

You are the best!

IMO the theme is kind of vague, specifically where you say "ruin a trip", so you could try wording that one part better. IDK if I'm even helping here even a little bit but that's just my opinion :D hope ya figure it out soon buddy 

You could always say something like: "Don't let the negatives distract from the grand-scale", that way you have a more broad spectrum to work with, or you could get poetic "The trials through travel may make you waver, but stand strong to prosper", or " Don't let the bumps from traveling derail you from the trip." or you could change the thesis to something like: "Don't let the past ruin the present" I dunno what your prompt is so I'm just throwing out ideas. In case you don't want to use any of those ideas I agree with the guy above me "ruin a trip" is weak and needs to be changed. Also typically in themes it's better to not address the reader or yourself directly. If I was to reword exactly what you wrote, although I personally would probably use first theme I wrote, I would say something like: " Don't let misfortunes take away from your trip" ( the only reason I'm using "your" is because I'm literally rewording what you wrote, it's still better to avoid it, but if you can't you can't)

Hope this helps

7 hours ago, DannyShr said:

IMO the theme is kind of vague, specifically where you say "ruin a trip", so you could try wording that one part better. IDK if I'm even helping here even a little bit but that's just my opinion :D hope ya figure it out soon buddy 

5 hours ago, Apache said:

You could always say something like: "Don't let the negatives distract from the grand-scale", that way you have a more broad spectrum to work with, or you could get poetic "The trials through travel may make you waver, but stand strong to prosper", or " Don't let the bumps from traveling derail you from the trip." or you could change the thesis to something like: "Don't let the past ruin the present" I dunno what your prompt is so I'm just throwing out ideas. In case you don't want to use any of those ideas I agree with the guy above me "ruin a trip" is weak and needs to be changed. Also typically in themes it's better to not address the reader or yourself directly. If I was to reword exactly what you wrote, although I personally would probably use first theme I wrote, I would say something like: " Don't let misfortunes take away from your trip" ( the only reason I'm using "your" is because I'm literally rewording what you wrote, it's still better to avoid it, but if you can't you can't)

Hope this helps

Thank you both so much!