Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Impenetrable Wall

Need Help with Coding homework

Basically my retarded instructor gave us this coding assignment even though I'm in a computer assembly class for CompTiA A+ cert. So when it comes to coding anything or writing scripts in general I blow. I have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone thinks they can help me with this PM me :) 

P.S don't know if this is the write place to post this but I assume it is because it has to do with tech shit.

When you login to the DTCC network, many files/folders are linked to central network shares. This provides you with the same experience for every PC you login to.

The problem is...VMPlayer uses a configuration file that references files on your D: drive which is not a shared folder. Depending upon the machine you login to, you have difference files stored on drive letter D:

Your task is to 'fix' this problem using Windows CLI in the form of a Windows script.

A few assumptions:

A. You can find the machine you are currently using with the hostname variable

B. The VMWare configuration file is always in the same location (c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\VMWare\preferences.ini)

C. When you run the script, a copy of the preferences.ini file specific to your logged in machine should be copied to the runtime location

Write this process in pseudo code first, then begin to implement using Windows CLI language.

At a minimum, the script should backup the preferences.ini file to a folder of your choice and the name of the backup should contain the machine's name.

Test this on a few machines and provide a screenshot of your directory listing along with your code.

The 32bit and 64bit system folders got out of sync. Sometimes 32bit DLLs are still used for 64bit operation. You can correct this by making sure the files are mirrored (MIR)

robocopy /Mir C:\Windows\System C:\Windows\System32

PS... that command is only for the homework assignment. DO NOT run it on a home computer.

Just now, centran said:

The 32bit and 64bit system folders got out of sync. Sometimes 32bit DLLs are still used for 64bit operation. You can correct this by making sure the files are mirrored (MIR)

robocopy /Mir C:\Windows\System C:\Windows\System32

PS... that command is only for the homework assignment. DO NOT run it on a home computer.

what happens if you do?