Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thelnternet

PC Build Advice

Hey guys and gals, I have never built a PC before but have done a little research on what I would like/need.

My budget is around 2400$ I would like to keep it closer to 2000$

I would like this machine to last me a while before needing to upgrade the GPU and processor.

So far I have been looking at the following parts:

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card

I currently play a ton of Overwatch mostly but want to start playing some other next gen games my current laptop is holding me back. Im running on like 30 frames on all low for overwatch.

I am missing a keyboard and monitor.

What I need advice on is what motherboard/cooler to go with. Also I would like to add an SSD preferably around 250G. Does anyone see and glaring problems with what I have selected so far? Open to any suggestions questions or comments.

This makes me incredibly nervous. I'd love to build a PC but I don't want to fuck up thousands of dollars in items. Thought about getting one from Digital Storm but I could probably get the same kind of pc cheaper if I built it.

You would have to do something extremely stupid to break anything while building a pc as long as you get compatible parts and a large case it is easy.

Your budget should be fine for most parts, only the super super enthusiast parts would be over your budget. 

I just look to make sure parts are compatible with the motherboard you choose and check out the reviews on newegg. Use a website like pcpartpicker to see if things are compatible more easily.

1. Get an SSD. You'll regret not getting one, if you can splurge, get one big enough to fit the main games you play on it. Samsung 850 or 950 are good choices, or go with nvme if you want to spend more, but again kinda worth for the speeds. 

2. Motherboards... Pretty much anything will do that has the correct slots that you need. I've personally loved ASUS for motherboards, always had good experiences with them (I currently have a Hero VIII). 

3. Cooler, similar to the motherboard, pretty much w/e you want. If you want to go with an All In One liquid cooler, that's what I did (I've never done liquid cooling, so it was an easy way without worrying about screwing something up). They require no maintenance, and I love how quiet my rig is. Personally I have an h100i, and know people with an h60. 

4. GTX1080... If I were you, I'd spend the extra ($100?) for a 1080ti. 

Just now, Moose said:

4. GTX1080... If I were you, I'd spend the extra ($100?) for a 1080ti. 

I got my 1080 for Christmas and wish I'd have waited the few months to spend, in my case, only $50 dollars more in order to get the ti.

Also use pcpartpicker. Makes the process much easier. Also the corsair h110i v.2 is a good water cooler. I use the v.1 and I never have problems and it is super easy to install.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181103

If your budget is ~$2000, you're undercutting yourself by quite a lot.

SSDs are pretty cheap, you can get a 500G for like $200. Older quality SSDs are still very good and fast.

1080ti won't break your budget at all, but they're also out of stock. Also, Gigabyte > Zotac in my opinion. Do your research lest you'll be upset with your choice. Some brands perform better than others. (See Gigabyte OC 980 ti vs stock).

Use PC part picker to make sure you have enough power for your rig and everything meshes well. Look around google and use resources from others to make sure you're getting the best quality for your money.

This is the SSD I have currently (I think, I'm sleep deprived rn.) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128972&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Thoughts on this as far as a motherboard goes? I was recommended it by a friend.

This is what I am looking at so far on PC part picker

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bY7bxY

Waiting on tax return should give me a decent bump to my budget but i filed late :(

The build looks solid. The 750D is a large case so be sure you have enough fans to keep the airflow moving in and out of the case, you won't need a million fans, but just be sure that the air keeps moving. Since you've got a blower style GPU cooler you can put the radiator wherever you'd like without concern of hot air getting cycled around through an open style cooler (my old 390 liked to roast everything). I also noticed you don't have a monitor listed and I'm not sure if you're in the market for one/are a monitor expert/will be using a B&W crt for games, but if you are it's worth noting that not all monitors are created equal so be sure to look up on those if you're in the market. 

On 3/20/2017 at 0:01 AM, Hay0ger.Tonee said:

Also the corsair h110i v.2 is a good water cooler. I use the v.1 and I never have problems and it is super easy to install.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181103

Be careful with the H110i. It's a 280mm unit and the mounting is a little screwy. The 750D will likely support it without an issue, but if you move to a smaller case at any point in time, it may not clear the motherboard/RAM, so the H100i v2 will be a little easier to fit. After having two 140mm fans chomping at my calf because the fans wouldn't clear the VRM heatsink in my new case/legrest, don't make the same mistake I did.