Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainsurge

please help. (new build)

Okay so recently I got a 1050ti (evga single fan edition, no pci 4 pin power connector needed) as a random xmas gift from my parents, but it really isn't reaching its potential because of the shitty cpu I have right now (AMD a4-4000 FeelsBadMan). So that's where I need your help! I recently saw this vid and want to create something very similiar. My budget here is about the same as the video, or $150

Since that video is just over a year old, i'm sure the prices have gone down and some slightly  better options are available at the same price. Yes I should just wait but I really don't need/want to since the games I will be playing on it are pretty much limited to CS:GO, Rust, Infestation, and Overwatch. Anyways tell me if i forgot anything that might be crucial! I have a 500 watt power supply, gpu, and a hard drive already and just think I will need what is in the video. My I.T teacher may even have some ddr2 ram depending on the motherboard and i'm sure he would be willing to donate it to me cause hes always interested in projects like these, which would be cool cause i'm always down to save money. My budget is pretty much the same as in this video so yea any of you useful part guys please feel free to help haha.

@Swed @driz

Using an old servos motherboard and Xenon CPU sounds like a pretty cool idea. Not sure how reliable the ebay motherboards are going to be. If your current MOBO is HM2, then you might be able to get away with buying a newer AMD CPU or APU that comes with the new stock cooler instead of scavaging for old parts. Good luck on the project. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DdPh2R

So thats pretty much what I have and will be re using with this build. Its not all spot on but its the same specifications and gives you a broad idea and what I would need (which is really just ram, mobo and cpu's.) Also I realize the case probably wont work with the server mobo but I can figure things out / jury rig haha.

46 minutes ago, VEGEMITEKILLER said:

Using an old servos motherboard and Xenon CPU sounds like a pretty cool idea. Not sure how reliable the ebay motherboards are going to be. If your current MOBO is HM2, then you might be able to get away with buying a newer AMD CPU or APU that comes with the new stock cooler instead of scavaging for old parts. Good luck on the project. 

Its an fm2+ socket on the motherboard I have and its absolute ass. I shouldn't complain because I got it for free but the best cpu available on the socket is the a10 (I forget its non apu counterpart name)

I mean you can, but I would recommend against it - considering many of the drawbacks Linus mentioned, it could be highly problematic; factoring in the reality that you will be purchasing the MB off eBay for affordability, you will have little to no control over the quality and specifics of the board, much less if it actually works (nearly all of the used server/workstation boards of this variety are sold by parts recycling companies, sans returns). You'd have to really, and I mean really, know what you are doing both in the process of acquisition and installation. If you build the thing up, and it doesn't work: you're right screwed, because the ability to test the rig with commonplace methods or replacements is off the table, and you'd likely have to purchase replacement parts one by one and test them in the computer. I mean if you need the rig, and reliability is not an issue, sure. But you would be dismantling what I assume to be your primary computer in the process - meaning that if, for whatever reason, the new build fails, you'd have to either work through the entire thing in testing or rebuild your old PC. This kind of thing is usually better left to a side project or secondary PC, meaning that if it fails, you won't have to spend hours or perhaps days of your time working to fix a problem before you can use a PC recreationally again. Again, I don't want to try and shut you down, but in my honest opinion I personally consider it to be a greater risk than improvement over your current situation. Besides, a server/workstation MB would never in a million years fit in your Lian Li case, and your cooler would not fit the CPU socket(s); additionally, if the board is server rather than workstation, it will likely only accept EEC-registered memory. That said, I think you'd be better off with something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/27FBFd

Kaby Lake Pentium (first dual-core hyper-threaded Pentium) and good mITX board.

For $9 more, you can get the version of the MB that includes Wi-Fi antennas.

For $18 less, you can get the Pentium G4560 which sacrifices ~100 MHz, Graphics 630, and a little power efficiency.

The price of my suggestion sits at $160, but if you wait a week or two after the Kaby Lake release the price of the Pentium should settle by about $12 pinning your budget on the head (for MUCH better performance, reliability, and compatibility).