Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nav

Ram help

Is there anyway to put a new ram on my laptop if there is I'm looking for a 16gb ram I currently have a 4gb ram

Any suggestions for applicable 16gb latop  rams would be great thx!

1 hour ago, Clamps said:

Google <Make/model of laptop here> Ram install. Answer is yes. 

This is going to give you the best bet. 

Usually the have an access on the back of the laptop where you need to undo a screw or two or 20. -- most of the time you can also upgrade or add a second Harddrive there too. But it just kind of pops up, and you slide it in and reset the latch. If you fiddle with it  you should figure it out. 

hmm, im gonna give you a correct answer.
so first of all you need to know how much ram slots you have and what type of ram does it use, in windows 8.1 you can easily find it just go to task manager and click the more details button which will expand the task manager and then go to performance tab then click memory on the list at the left. at the right semi bottom you will see information about your memory (ram) which are:

• Speed
  • Slots used / Slots max
  • Form Factor (Type of RAM)
  • Hardware Reserved (The RAM which your PC initially uses like I got 4 GB and 3.5 is available cuz it uses 500 mb for hardware)

Ok so lets start by the speed, the speed is the speed of the ram, yes different ram have different speed, so the more the speed the faster it will work, try getting the 1600 or 2400 MHz speed ram cause they perform very nice, that will display like Speed: 1333 MHz (1 GHz = 1024 MHz)

Slots used indicates how much slots have ram installed on it, for example I have 2 slots of ram in my laptop and 1 is used which is 4GB ram, so slots used will be 1 and slots max will be 2, it will display like 1 of 2

Form Factor is the type of ram, laptops mostly use SODIMM which is the small sized one and the half of the size of a normal computer ram which is DIMM, so you have to know what type of ram your computer/machine uses.

So when buying ram you should take the speed equivalent or higher than the speed your currently installed ram is and you should also know what level of DDR is your ram, for example the best are DDR3 and DDR4, DDR4 Is the newest and fastest but it has to be supported by the mother board, so choose the same DDR level as the current one or the one which motherboard maximum supports, you can also install the ram ddr level which is under/equal to the motherboard/current ram's for example you machine supports DDR3 but u can also install DDR2, and last but not least, the form factor, it should be SODIMM knowing you have a laptop but I still recommend you to check if you are buying the correct using task manager, I dont wanna be blamed.

If you have only 1 socket then you will have to remove the old RAM and replace with the new one else if you have more than 1, then you can install the 16GB  on the other one, so 16 + 4 =  20 GB

anyways you also have to make sure that your motherboard/computer supports the number of ram you are installing, like my PC cant handle ram more than 16GB, You have to ask your manufacturer to find it out or the tech manual for your machine.

Also installing ram on different slots is recommended and better, since that will allow the ram to perform faster, like dual channels, instead of computer processing on one ram, it will be able to process on two or more rams performing faster (i dont know whether you will get it or not) and so for example you have installed 8GB on both 2 slots, then it will be faster than having 16GB on 1 slot since its not going to be busy using the memory from one slot, instead it will be able to use two slots at one time resulting in faster speed.

i dont know if the different slots "reason for being fast" is correct but it is still recommended some tech nerd told me

I've upgraded RAM on a computer before but not on a laptop but I have removed on a laptop.

My old laptop was gateway NV52L-06u model which had the ram upgrade place under the laptop which I could unscrew and it opened it, gateway added that so we can upgrade easily, some laptops indeed have to be fully opened to upgrade.

7 minutes ago, Chilly said:

So this is what my task manager is saying

d9dbd0a21122bc6ba53fbb13a423d727.png

and this is what I should be looking for as of rams?

@KevYbee3fd95ba34a2859ff78e35bc08fe96.png

That should work. You'll have to remove your old stick, since you're buying two 2x 8gb, but I would have suggested that anyways.

1 hour ago, Moose said:

That should work. You'll have to remove your old stick, since you're buying two 2x 8gb, but I would have suggested that anyways.

Alright yeah i knew i woould have to remove the old 1 but thank you @Moose and @KevY