Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zebra

watdo

Going to a school sponsored career fair in < 8 hours since I'm about to graduate from my EE program. Any advice on what I should / shouldn't do? 

inb4 12 year olds start telling me what to do

8 hours ago, Dr Pepper said:

dress nicely, take a shower, eye contact, shake hands with a firm grip, and speak clearly with confidence. you should be fine.

Dress nicely = Polo and casual pants. Don't need to go in a full business suit. Or maybe a button up and khakis, but something formal-casual. 

Try not to get too nervous, maintain fluid conversation, they're people just like you.

Don't be late, don't forget to brush your teeth and put cologne, people like to see basic human maintenance. 

in other words be a normal human being and talk to them like one whilst dressing nicely and showing you take care of yourself

make sure you cut your nails, comb you hair, etc. if they're not interested, they're not interested

Fair is a two-day event w/ different employers so I'm going back tomorrow.

So what happened today was I was sitting in a line for like a half hour because the recruiter was talking to each applicant for like 10-15 minutes at a time. I showed up pretty earlier so there was only a few people ahead of me, and I noticed he was basically asking questions non-stop for each applicant about what they do and the skills they have. etc...My turn comes around and I had a friend introduce me to the recruiter because they worked together previously. He literally asks me two questions which were irrelevant to the position, and then he was pretty much done. Asked if I had any questions about their company and then basically finished the entire thing in <5 minutes. Now I'm in 'wtf just happened' mode.

18 hours ago, zebra said:

Fair is a two-day event w/ different employers so I'm going back tomorrow.

So what happened today was I was sitting in a line for like a half hour because the recruiter was talking to each applicant for like 10-15 minutes at a time. I showed up pretty earlier so there was only a few people ahead of me, and I noticed he was basically asking questions non-stop for each applicant about what they do and the skills they have. etc...My turn comes around and I had a friend introduce me to the recruiter because they worked together previously. He literally asks me two questions which were irrelevant to the position, and then he was pretty much done. Asked if I had any questions about their company and then basically finished the entire thing in <5 minutes. Now I'm in 'wtf just happened' mode.

Having an in is generally pretty good.

When I met with one of the Co-CEOs at my internship before I got the job, he asked me about my opinion on the immigration policy in Germany. I was there as a development/QA intern.