Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Koriko

Steam Link and Controller

So I'm probably buying myself a Steam Link since they're on sale right now, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendation for a good controller for playing PC games that would work on the Link. I currently have two 360 controllers, 2 One controllers, and a flight stick. I might end up buying the bundle if the Steam Controller is any good for games that require a mouse, but I'd like some input on it.

I have both the Controller and the Link. The link didn't look all that great on my TV when I first unboxed it (I preordered it), I've tried it a couple weeks later, with some improvement, but it didn't beat the smoothness and clarity that the HDMI connected to my PC and TV gave me. The Controller, however, is quite nice. It's fantastic for most FPS's, Borderlands, Call of Duty, ect, but not for CSGO/TF2 ect. I've been playing through Shadow of Mordor with it, and it's fantastic. If you aren't happy with the default binds, you can set it yourself on the Controller, using Big Picture mode in game. It's really nice. For example, on my right trigger (for Rocket League) I have a two stage press set. Half press is normal acceleration, and full press is boost. My left grip is jump and right is power slide. It's a lot nicer to play than with the Xbox 360 controller I used to use. The Controller also was great for Fallout 4, I just had my PC connected via HDMI and I laid back on the couch during the whole game, rather than sitting up at my computer. Mind you, I've heard about a new Steam Controller in development, so maybe look into that before buying this. I probably should give the Link another chance, as both of these things have gotten numerous updates and fixes since their release, so it's possible it might actually meet or exceed the HDMI's performance. 

Can I ask what kind of setup you were using with the link? The living room's too far for me to use an HDMI cable, and the link will be tapped off the 10 Gb/s line to the living room, so it should be more than enough for the link's 100 Mb/s interface. 

I strictly use it at my apartment near my university. I pay for a 50 mb/s plan and the video just wasn't as clear and smooth, while the audio lagged a bit as well. My laptop sits on my coffee table, not even 4 feet from the TV, while my router and the link sit about a foot away from the TV itself. 

The Steam Link doesn't use the bandwidth promised by your ISP. The video quality/latency is determined only by the connection to the host PC. Did I read correctly that you were using it over WiFi instead of over the Ethernet port?