Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dray

FPS Drop's whilst playing game's

So recently i got a new gpu which is a gtx 750 ti 

we installed it, everything was working great until whilst i was in the overwatch menu, i pressed the windows key to exit out of overwatch while it was running in the background to talk in discord chat and i noticed my desktop framerate was slow 

i closed overwatch and the desktop framerate went back to normal, i hopped into overwatch again and i noticed my fps used to be 170-210 upon launching and slows down after a few seconds to 30 - 59 fps

i hopped onto rust on fantastic settings, it was at max framerate (101) and then it pushed back to 30-40 fps after a minute.

any help would be very appreciated 

1 hour ago, nothing_but_fail said:

windows key is a GREAT choice for push to talk

i bound my windows key to delete system 32

19 hours ago, vEntus said:

it might not just be the gpu, it could be the power supply, cpu, ram etc. i used to have a 750 ti no problems (1070 now) xd

It had to do something with the gpu, when I noticed the frame drops, I had to remove my case cover to see if it was either the cpu or my gpu, I removed the 750 and it was overheating to 90 degrees celcius maybe even more, I checked my cpu and it was barely heating up, so what I did was I overclocked my 750's fan, it went from 90 degrees celcius to a minimum and maximum of 46 to 63 degrees celcius, although the fps somewhat wasn't the same before I'm still looking for a method to keep my gpu in max artic condition so I could possibly get a better increase in performance, note my motherboard is a Lenovo sharkbay and the model is an intel h50 

Download speccy64 and post a screenshot of it while your system is under load from a game. That will help fill in some blanks. I look at this thread again when I'm sober.

Most Graphics Cards have a max temperature threshold of over 100 degrees Celcius and will throttle GPU performance at 80-90 degrees and above. If temperatures exceed the manufacturer set threshold the card will shut down the PC to avoid damage.

It's possible that if your card was overheating then the FPS drop you were noticing may have been from the performance throttle as mentioned above. How's your case's airflow?

23 minutes ago, Llethander said:

Most Graphics Cards have a max temperature threshold of over 100 degrees Celcius and will throttle GPU performance at 80-90 degrees and above. If temperatures exceed the manufacturer set threshold the card will shut down the PC to avoid damage.

It's possible that if your card was overheating then the FPS drop you were noticing may have been from the performance throttle as mentioned above. How's your case's airflow?

the card was in fact overheating to 90 Celsius but i believe another reason why was because my cpu was overheating to 63 Celsius whilst playing games 

overclocking the fan helped fixed the situation but in some games like rust it would freeze the game whenever i would perform an action, for instance shooting randomly and then when rust catches up to real time the fps is decreased but then it goes back to normal after a couple of seconds. i don't really know how to explain and give detail on my cases airflow but like i said earlier the cpu was overheating to 63 Celsius while playing games and overclocking the gpu fan helped the situation. Sorry if this dosen't make any sense to you, im trying to give the detail's to the best of my acknowledgement 

The first thing I would do is download the program that Swed recommended and post the screenshot of your system under load while gaming.

As Moose said, your CPU hitting 63C is actually a very common thing. 50-60C is a pretty average temperature for a CPU under load. CPU and GPU temperature thresholds tend to be very similar so I wouldn't worry about that unless it starts peaking into the 90C range, though if you do notice it hitting the mid-to-high 80C range it might be time to look at getting a tower with better airflow.

It sounds to me like most of the issues you're having are likely related to GPU temperature. If increasing the GPU fan speed helped to resolve some of the issues then the best recommendation I can make is to look into a new tower with better airflow. Most budget cases don't have enough fan coverage or don't properly distribute fans for push/pull airflow.

Have you tried reducing graphics quality of your games to the bare minimum to see if that helps?

From personal experience, I can say that GPU temperature can have a notable impact on system performance. I used to have a Sapphire Radeon card that would blue screen my system at around 95C. Once I upgraded to a tower with better airflow I stopped experiencing issues. If you can get yourself a good tower and test it for a few days, monitor your system performance while under load, and keep tabs on your GPU temperature that would be ideal. If it doesn't help, return it for a refund.

Aside from that, it can be tough to troubleshoot issues such as this without ready access to parts. Swapping in a different GPU to see if that helps resolve the issue would be one option. Swapping in a higher output PSU would be another thing to try. You could also try doing a clean install of your graphics drivers. Barring access to replacement parts, backing up your data and performing a full factory reset of the system would allow us to rule out other software issues.

The problem with doing PC troubleshooting without access to the system in question is that many of the steps that will rule out potential causes are those that many users don't want/like, or aren't able, to do.