Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iafunky

Internet Problems

So recently my laptop updated to Windows 10 which I didn't want to happen. The main reason being I can't run a Ethernet cable from my router to my computer/room, because my parents say it will get in the way. So instead I ran a Virtual Router from my laptop so my computer could connect to the internet, but like I said my laptop updated with out my knowledge and the Virtual Router doesn't work for Windows 10. So the past few days I've been with shit internet because the current WiFi adapter I have sucks ass and my mom got it for me for like $15 off amazon. This lead me to stumble across this website here. The only problem with this solution is that I can't get step 5 to work when setting up the hot spot on my laptop. I don't get the drop down menu, I just get the Local Area Connection with no * or number following.

That is my short explanation of my problem and I'm really hoping you guys could help me fix my solution or find other solutions if that be different website or even a new WiFi adapter preferably under $50.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Getting a new router is out of the question because of parent reasons)

12 hours ago, iafunky said:

So recently my laptop updated to Windows 10 which I didn't want to happen. The main reason being I can't run a Ethernet cable from my router to my computer/room, because my parents say it will get in the way. So instead I ran a Virtual Router from my laptop so my computer could connect to the internet, but like I said my laptop updated with out my knowledge and the Virtual Router doesn't work for Windows 10. So the past few days I've been with shit internet because the current WiFi adapter I have sucks ass and my mom got it for me for like $15 off amazon. This lead me to stumble across this website here. The only problem with this solution is that I can't get step 5 to work when setting up the hot spot on my laptop. I don't get the drop down menu, I just get the Local Area Connection with no * or number following.

That is my short explanation of my problem and I'm really hoping you guys could help me fix my solution or find other solutions if that be different website or even a new WiFi adapter preferably under $50.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Getting a new router is out of the question because of parent reasons)

ttp://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/power-line-adapters/   

These are pretty decent.

How they work: One connects to your router, and an electrical outlet. It extends the wifi to the second adapter that you plug into a power outlet in your room and you connect your laptop to it with an ethernet cord. These are going to be more reliable than wifi alone, but less reliable than actually connecting to your main router via ethernet.

11 hours ago, Karma said:

ttp://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/power-line-adapters/   

These are pretty decent.

How they work: One connects to your router, and an electrical outlet. It extends the wifi to the second adapter that you plug into a power outlet in your room and you connect your laptop to it with an ethernet cord. These are going to be more reliable than wifi alone, but less reliable than actually connecting to your main router via ethernet.

Might have been confusing in my explanation but would this work on my PC my laptop has good connection just can't get it to work as a hotspot/virtual router?

39 minutes ago, iafunky said:

Might have been confusing in my explanation but would this work on my PC my laptop has good connection just can't get it to work as a hotspot/virtual router?

Yes. Your computer is going to recognize it as being connected to a router via ethernet

PLN is great. I have 4 plugged in on my home network right now.
My desktop if connected directly to my modem/switch/router setup, which has a gigabit PLN line to a second (and cheap) wireless router I have configured to work as only a hotspot and dumb switch. to extend coverage and provide an RJ 45 connection to the other main desktop. The other two connect to a switch for the Xone, TV, and Steam Link, while the other one connects to a Tivo in another bedroom. The only real caveat to PLN is it depends entirely on how well your electric lines are done up in your house. My uncle's an electrician and redid the house before PLN was a thing, but luckily that's not my bottleneck. You can look into MoCA as an alternative, though it's a bit pricier with a higher quality connection. Most TWC-given modems have MoCA enabled so you only need to buy one dongle.