Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvin

Opinion on EVGA gtx 970?

I've had my EVGA gtx 670 for over 4 years now, it's been a faithful card and has served me well. Unfortunately it's on its way to being a brick that I'll keep as a doorstop in my house.

I'm not super rich, so I'd like to spend about $350 - $400 (poutine dollars) on a new card and I was looking at the 970.

I found one on ncix.com (maple syrup website, so just tell it you're a moose mounter) for about $385 on sale (not a rebate).

Thoughts on this card?

http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-3e-104474.htm

if you're at the point where playing games isn't even fun, but annoying due to the fps count i'd say go for it.

I suggest either of these two cards, more future proof than the 970 which is going to start showing its age within the year or so. Also much more vram than 3.5gb.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-sc-b9-133580.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/xfx-amd-radeon-rx-480-ad-133195.htm

Is it even worth getting anything non-pascal anymore? $300 for a 1060, $450 for a 1070, $700 for a 1080. Man it feels good being an nvidia fanboi.

This is the one i have https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-970-GAMING-4G.html#hero-overview also me and two other friends have the same one and so far it has treated us good. I can run bf4,H1Z1,arma3,overwatch all on high with 50+ frames. 

3 hours ago, Apache said:

I agree with the other people saying you should look into getting a 1060 but I am currently using a msi 970 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814127832 ) in case you are looking for a cheaper but still pretty powerful alternative. Completely up to you though, this is just my suggestion for a 970

yea if your looking for a decent price card this would be good

I'm looking to get rid of my 970, but depending on what it'd cost to send it thanks to stupid "international" rates, the new one may be cheaper for you

I suggest going for the 1070. It may be $100 more expensive than a new GTX 970, but that additional 5.5GB of VRAM will do wonders for making the card a viable option for 1080P and 2K for a few more years.

The 970 itself is also another card that's beginning to show its age for new titles.

As someone who went through making the decision for a new graphics card, I got a 1060, it's running smoothly and amazingly. There's probably specs comparisons out there that would give you an objective opinion, but it's pretty much the best cheap-end card out there right now.

There's basically no point in buying a 970 at this point. It's a two year old card at this point, and other cards in the same price category smoke it in every possible way.

As someone who currently has a GTX970 I will say that it's not a bad card. (https://ca.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-970-GAMING-4G-Golden-Edition.html#hero-overview)

However, that said, for the price that you'll likely pay for it, and as others have said the age of the card, it is not worth it at this point if you're planning on using it for games that are going to be released over the next couple years. Sure, it'll play everything that's currently out at max graphics, at least that's what I've found with my rig, but as newer games are released you'll find that it just won't be able to handle the requirements of newer games.

tl;dr - Save your money and get something newer/better.

Absolutely fantastic, thank you for the replies.

I'm going to take what the majority of you have said and look seriously at the 1060. The more I read about it and the comparisons, I'm blown away. I've never considered buying a '60' card, always having a '70' as my bare minimum as far as performance goes.

Can't fucking wait to pick this gem up.

Edit: The thing I still can't get my head around is how the fuck did they manage to make these cards both amazing and cheap? The Titan X is beaten by what, the 1070, and it's about half the price?

29 minutes ago, Musicfreak said:

If you want, I'll sell you my old Strix 980 OC for $325 + whatever shipping is. Completely serious. Still have the box and shit.

It's still in the box. I might be interested. Hmu on steam fam?

On 8/5/2016 at 0:57 AM, ThatOllieWhoDies said:

It's still in the box. I might be interested. Hmu on steam fam?

EVGA B-Stock sale, bro. It's wonderful, and so many cheap 980's

I like my 970, been a good card for the past year and a half.  And I just convinced Amazon to give me a 30% partial refund due to the class action lawsuit against Nvidia because of the card.  Ez $110.

I bought the gtx 1060 sc today from Amazon.com for about $287 canadian. Should be here by Thursday.

Has anyone from Canada bought anything from a third party seller in the States before, and if so how did you handle the tax/duty?

lol it's already ordered and shipped. I'm expecting a phone call any time today or tomorrow from Canadian Customs telling me it's being held at the border lmao.

Good choice on the 1060. Buying 900 series cards is like burning your money. A 970 is realistically worth about $100 in my opinion (that's the price I'd pay for it, anyway).