Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MisterTurkes

New Californian Gun Laws

Today July 1st 2016 Governor Brown of California States signed into law 5 different bills regarding different aspects of guns and gun ownership

Assembly Bill 1176,  made the theft of firearms a felony offense

Senate Bill 1446 banned the ownership of magazines over the capacity of 10 rounds and have to be sold outside of the California State or you would be facing charges

Senate Bill 1235 Requires background checks within the state of California to purchase ammunition

Senate Bill 880 Banned the usage of a "Bullet Button" on AR-15 platform rifles (This is the big one)

Assembly Bill 1511 Makes it illegal to loan a firearm to anyone who has not passed the necessary background check and Firearms Safety Course required to own a firearm

Assembly Bill 1695 blocks people who lied about losing or having a gun stolen from purchasing or owning a firearm for 10 years.

All of these laws are supposed to be implemented on January 1st 2017

As a gun owner. I feel like my state has made me a criminal. I feel as if gun ownership to this State is not only frowned on, but criminal. I followed all the ridiculous rules and regulations that do nothing to curb real gun violence only to be slapped on the wrist because of a terrorist attack. These laws do nothing, they will continue to do nothing, and I'm honestly terrified. If I don't follow these rules I could become a felon, not because I want to disobey these rules, but because I didn't get background checked for buying 20 rounds of .223, because I let my younger brother shoot my gun at a range and he didn't take the FSC, because I literally made my gun a fixed magazine weapon that uses only 10 round magazines. All of these are new law breaking offenses that are possible felonies in the state of California.

For those who don't know I don't own guns for self defense (I live next to a police station). I enjoy the sport. I go to range where me and my dad have fun bonding and wasting a Sunday. I have a whole community of friends who (very similarly to cars) just want to have fun with firearms. I am very aware of their capabilities and responsibility. They stay locked away from ammo, only I have a key, I don't let people know I own guns. All of this, and I'm punished. Now I don't have any information on how to make my ar's legal to own and there is looming "you will become a felon" if I don't go out and get the information the state won't give me to make sure I do the right thing.

Link to article with further information http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_30080186/california-gun-laws-jerry-brown-signs-some-new

I am entirely biased so I would like some weighing in from others.

With all the increasing technology, if a criminal wants a gun, they will get a gun. It is as simple as that. All these laws do if make it harder for REGULAR PEOPLE to get a gun. If a real terrorist, or other criminal has no access to guns (if guns get banned), there will always be a way for them to get a gun. Plenty of places on the deep web and black markets, and so these small laws are just ridicules. If they want to stop gun violence, either ban guns, or fuck off. Don't pass bullshit laws like these.

Some people just don't understand. Sure you can "ban certain guns and ammunition", but it's still probably pretty easy to get on a black market. I feel like some of these new gun safety laws are just making it harder for people, who use their gun responsibly, to enjoy their guns and the sport of hunting and such.

I'm not saying their shouldn't be any gun restrictions, but gun violence will always be a thing. No matter what gets banned and put into law.

It's starting to get ridiculous. Exactly as you said, none of this actually prevents criminals from obtaining firearms, it just makes it significantly more difficult for the average citizen to get them, be it for defense or sport . I understand, as a gun-toting, cpl-carrying firearm enthusiast. It's frustrating to see this new, overly strict firearm legislature being pushed when the legislature we've got is plenty sufficient. What we need is not new legislature, but rather better enforcement of that which we already have

1176 and 1511 seem okay to me; the other one's I have an issue with for all the reasons described above.

The reason why we should have guns, and why we should teach kids how to properly use a gun (when to use it/how to use it) can be shown in the article below. The best way to prevent those shooting accidents done by kids while still letting others have their right to protection is to teach the kids about them. This kid is a great example as to why we need to have guns and why we need education on them.

http://controversialtimes.com/issues/constitutional-rights/13-year-old-guns-down-home-invaders-with-moms-gun-1-dead-1-arrested/?utm_source=AFY

28 minutes ago, Yunki said:

1176 and 1511 seem okay to me; the other one's I have an issue with for all the reasons described above.

The reason why we should have guns, and why we should teach kids how to properly use a gun (when to use it/how to use it) can be shown in the article below. The best way to prevent those shooting accidents done by kids while still letting others have their right to protection is to teach the kids about them. This kid is a great example as to why we need to have guns and why we need education on them.

http://controversialtimes.com/issues/constitutional-rights/13-year-old-guns-down-home-invaders-with-moms-gun-1-dead-1-arrested/?utm_source=AFY

the issue with 1511 is it is entirely vague in what "loaning" means. This law was attempted to be passed in Washington state where it failed due to its vague-ness. Basically as worded you cannot "loan" a gun to anyone who has, before mentioned, not taken a background check or passed the FSC. So if "loaning" means handing a gun to someone going to a range with someone who is interested in firearms or you just want to take a weekend out to the desert. You have to go out of your way to take the FSC and call the California DOJ and get a background check for no reason costing you in total 30-40 dollars. It also completely disallows anyone under the age of 18 from shooting a gun with their parents like you said learning gun safety. The other issue is that in the state of California you are by law required to have either a locked container to store your firearms without ammunition or an individual gun lock for all your guns.

What I'm trying to say is California already has laws that solve the issue of children getting a hold of guns. 1511 doesn't do anything and can only trap people into breaking the law. you are right though 1176 is a good law as a deterrent to stealing guns. To bad a criminal who wants to steal a killing device probably doesn't think about the felony he is breaking.

A pretty quick google search turns up that loaning a firearm to someone without going through a licensed firearms dealer has already been illegal, AB-1511 is only changing what qualifies as an exemption for this law. The exemption now is that you can only loan your firearm to a parent, child, sibling, spouse, registered domestic partner, grandchild, or grandparent and the loan has to be for less than 30 days. 

Might as well stock up on ammunition now. 

17 hours ago, MisterTurkes said:

Senate Bill 1446 banned the ownership of magazines over the capacity of 10 rounds and have to be sold outside of the California State or you would be facing charges

What in the fuck? Now I get to just hardly get used to the firearm and have to spend 15 minutes (exaggerated) refilling the magazine. 

This shit is getting ridiculous