Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ace

Hardwiring my new house

So I just bought a 3 bed/2 bath condo and I am looking at hardwiring some of the rooms. Unfortunately I am a noob when it comes to these kinds of things, but from my understanding I need a modem, router, and a switch to get everything up and running. With that said, what kind of equipment do you guys recommend? I've got 100/10 internet from Time Warner so I should have a decent amount of bandwidth, but the router will be pretty far from the living room and I am scared that the signal will not be strong/stable enough to stream HD content. 

Also, in terms of wiring up the place I will either do it myself with some help from a family friend (who is an electrician) or I will hire someone if the job is too complex. I know it's almost impossible to get recommendations on how I should run the wires without you guys seeing the place, but I plan on wiring two rooms that have a shared wall (my office and the master bedroom) and the living room which is down the hall. Do you guys have any experience with running wires and if so how did you do it?

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Congrats Ace. All grown up now, eh.

Yeah pretty much. That's kinda why I disappeared for so long lol

if you have running boards/trim on the floor, pry it out and run your cables behind that. it's pretty difficult to run cables once drywall is up. if you dont have this and you have access to a basement, use an old construction bracket (lowes/home depot) and use wire fishing line to push your cable down and take it to your pop.

that being said, presumably you have a coax jack in your living room for your tv.. why can't you just get a high quality splitter and put your cable modem/router/switch there? Running a hard line to everything is still the best course of action but sometimes you have to think about what else you can do to keep things simple. you want your network gear in a centralized location from where your runs will go.

If you don't want to deal with the hassle of running wires, you could always tryout powerline adapters. The quality of your connection might depend on how well they originally wired your house up though.

On 6/25/2016 at 7:08 PM, driz said:

if you have running boards/trim on the floor, pry it out and run your cables behind that. it's pretty difficult to run cables once drywall is up. if you dont have this and you have access to a basement, use an old construction bracket (lowes/home depot) and use wire fishing line to push your cable down and take it to your pop.

that being said, presumably you have a coax jack in your living room for your tv.. why can't you just get a high quality splitter and put your cable modem/router/switch there? Running a hard line to everything is still the best course of action but sometimes you have to think about what else you can do to keep things simple. you want your network gear in a centralized location from where your runs will go.

I just moved in last week and I decided to put the router in the loft, which is in the center of the house and has an open wall to the living room. I noticed that the previous owners drilled a hole in the loft closet, which shares a wall with the closet in my office. I need to make the hole a bit bigger, but I think running a cable through there will take care of my office. As for the living room and bedroom, I am going to rely on WiFi for a bit and see how that works for us. I bought a really good dual band router that has a 5g signal, which with my 100mb/s connection is blazing fast. If I notice any connection issues I'll most likely install some crown molding or baseboard to hide the cable to the living room. 

Thanks for the help guys!