Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sleek

Summer Upgrade Checkup

It's time for my summer upgrade! Any input is appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/r8r32R

Case: http://www.phanteks.com/Eclipse-p400s.html
I will be overclocking the i5 to hopefully 4.5ghz

NOTE THINGS THAT ARE ALREADY PURCHASED ARE FROM MY OLD BUILD

HDD and SSD are not the correct ones i was too lazy to find the exact ones.

Already have a pc so i will be moving most things over. 

Sub 700$

I've always wanted to build my own pc but it's extremely intimidating to me.

5 minutes ago, Ian Kinsler said:

its not hard at all, honestly.

Just now, Sandy said:

its not hard at all, honestly.

Any useful guides that you know of? How did you learn how to do it? I'm just worried about spending a lot of money and screwing everything up only to have a bunch of parts I can't use.

Just now, Ian Kinsler said:

Any useful guides that you know of? How did you learn how to do it? I'm just worried about spending a lot of money and screwing everything up only to have a bunch of parts I can't use.

I built my first pc after watching a ton of youtube videos like this one

I built my computer about 5 years ago and have been adding on too it ever since. If you get a good Case, motherboard, and power supply setup everything is just plug and play from then on

19 minutes ago, Ian Kinsler said:

This will be my 2nd build its a bit intimidating especially with water cooling but it should be really easy to build. Large cases are easier to work with because you have a lot of room if you ever wanna build one you can hmu and ill help you along (as long as this one goes well)

43 minutes ago, Sleek said:

This will be my 2nd build its a bit intimidating especially with water cooling but it should be really easy to build. Large cases are easier to work with because you have a lot of room if you ever wanna build one you can hmu and ill help you along (as long as this one goes well)

Look at ATX mid-tower cube cases for an easier time. Absolutely fantastic for wiring and making things look pretty with little to no effort

1 hour ago, Ian Kinsler said:

Dude, I felt like that before I upgraded my power supply and stuff, but from my expiernce I learned that it's made for dummies to make.. litterly plug things in and they only go in one way.. idk from me upgrading my computer it made me wish I built my PC from scratch!  Execpt liquad cooling...  I don't understand that and I don't want to refill every six months.(ive heard your suppose to) don't worry about building, if you get stuck you can take your box to a local computer shop and ask them for help, or post on the forums man..

8 hours ago, Ian Kinsler said:

here's what i told my 12yro son. 

1) stick parts where they fit, if it doesnt fit somewhere, it doesnt go there.

2) read tomshardware guide

3) verify compatibility

4) don't buy anything made by AMD

5) don't buy anything made by apple

This was actually the video I used on how to build a PC, even though mine looked nothing like it.  Easy and to the point tutorial. 

Just be careful when using SATA ports or something like that with the PSU because I think I had a problem where I didn't have enough to hook up my SSD since I didn't know my Water cooler needed one, something like that.  

8 hours ago, Roflstomp said:

Look at ATX mid-tower cube cases for an easier time. Absolutely fantastic for wiring and making things look pretty with little to no effort

When I built my computer in 2013 I made sure to purchase a full tower case so I'd never have to buy another case again (unless I smash it). You can fit anything in larger cases. Only thing is you will have a big box to move if you ever decide to which I don't believe is much of a downside. The large extra space is always useful in making swapping parts easier. I have an enermax fulmo gt however I don't believe my specific model sells anywhere anymore. It has 12 HDD slots, can fit any size MB, room for 2 PSUs, and a thin backplate with wholes in it to funnel wires through leaving most wires out of the way from the parts.

27 minutes ago, driz said:

here's what i told my 12yro son. 

1) stick parts where they fit, if it doesnt fit somewhere, it doesnt go there.

2) read tomshardware guide

3) verify compatibility

4) don't buy anything made by AMD

5) don't buy anything made by apple

I fully agree with 4 and 5. 

Parts look good I just bought that motherboard.

Although ian hijacked the thread, it's super easy to build a PC, first time doing it I was nervous cuz I bought 2500 dollars worth of stuff and had never done it before, but I figured it out without much issue.

Just make sure all your parts are compatible and you are good. Scariest part for me the first time was the thermal paste because you have to do it yourself in some cases, but some come preapplied.

I have been running my i5-6600k at 4.5 on a manual OC so I use the XMP profile for my ram. Minus the shoody Windows8.1/10 interaction with Nvidias drivers it is stable.

19 hours ago, Ian Kinsler said:

I feel the same way, I am a filthy pre-built peasant.

As an update to this topic i bought all the parts and assembled my PC a couple of days ago. i5 running at 4.5 OC and sits at 40-50. I changed the mobo to  http://pcpartpicker.com/product/KgJkcf/asus-motherboard-z170progaming .I got a great combo deal at microcenter for 331 for both the i5 and the mobo. The build took about 4 hours and I love it so far. I also went for http://pcpartpicker.com/product/PL2rxr/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2a2133c13 I installed my water-cooler to the front of the case because it would not fit in the top and added two exhaust fans at the top from my old build. Everything went swell and cable management was decent. 

Seems a little hot for being water cooled, but excellent build. I just built a system with the same board and CPU( same oc too)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk