Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MistaChang

Due for an upgrade

Hey guys so I was wanting to get a graphics card becuase it has become apparent that I have been using an on bored graphics card.  Although I have a few worries..  One being idk my power supply but could a graphics card seriously cap my computer.? I do think so it's just I havnt upgraded before and I'm not to sure what to get...

24 minutes ago, Swed said:

Wait until Pascal

Use PCPartPicker to check power requirements

I doubt I'll be getting a top tier graphics card as I doubt my power supply and GPU can handle it...

8 minutes ago, Libreals420MistaChang said:

I doubt I'll be getting a top tier graphics card as I doubt my power supply and GPU can handle it...

Wat

13 minutes ago, ThatOllieWhoDies said:

It would be easier if you posted the specs to your PC :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OK I can do that in a bit..  Just at work atm...

you only need 600W psu for a 980ti (reference board), i dont expect the 1080 to be much higher than that if it is at all... 

also there's not really an issue with the gpu being faster than your cpu.. it's there to offload intensive graphics work from your CPU... 

Alright guys I've gotten my specs but I may miss one or two, if i do just tell me which ones i forgot and ill get them..

So,

Power supply: 200w (My vape is 200 watts BibleThump)

Processor: AMD a6-6310 apu with amd radeon r4 graphics 1.8 ghz

Fan: just one fan..

Ram: 8 gb

64 bit

No dedicated graphics card...

I might be able to upgrade the power supply but i honestly have no idea how to unless I'm just removing plugs and putting them into the new power supply... 

so far im looking at this.... https://www.amazon.ca/GeForce-Express-DisplayPort-Graphic-ZT-90301-10M/dp/B00SIOOLS2

But with that i need to upgrade my power supply...  would i need to upgrade anything else?

Probably upgrading my processor in the future to...

12 hours ago, Libreals420MistaChang said:

Alright guys I've gotten my specs but I may miss one or two, if i do just tell me which ones i forgot and ill get them..

So,

Power supply: 200w (My vape is 200 watts BibleThump)

Processor: AMD a6-6310 apu with amd radeon r4 graphics 1.8 ghz

Fan: just one fan..

Ram: 8 gb

64 bit

No dedicated graphics card...

I might be able to upgrade the power supply but i honestly have no idea how to unless I'm just removing plugs and putting them into the new power supply... 

so far im looking at this.... https://www.amazon.ca/GeForce-Express-DisplayPort-Graphic-ZT-90301-10M/dp/B00SIOOLS2

But with that i need to upgrade my power supply...  would i need to upgrade anything else?

Probably upgrading my processor in the future to...

ref gtx 960 needs a 400W PSU.. find one that fits your case and get a 960; cheapest effective upgrade for you.. prob ~250-300$

15 minutes ago, ChosenOne2000 said:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

Pascal is here. Ignore previous gcard comments. If you're broke, I'd wait for the drastic price drop in the 970's, 980's, Titan XX

How long do you think that would be?

I'm upgrading my power supply first because I have to, what should I get for watt amount?

Eventually I think I'm also getting on of the AMD A10 processors in September but I havnt learned to much about those yet or if I even will even need to to upgrade it...

Also with my current processor could I handle a 980?

2 hours ago, Libreals420MistaChang said:

How long do you think that would be?

I'm upgrading my power supply first because I have to, what should I get for watt amount?

Eventually I think I'm also getting on of the AMD A10 processors in September but I havnt learned to much about those yet or if I even will even need to to upgrade it...

Also with my current processor could I handle a 980?

graphics cards have their own processor.. the pu in Cpu and Gpu stands for processing unit..  why are you stuck on a dependency between the cpu and gpu? graphics cards offload from the cpu nowadays it's not like the 90s and early 2000s where the cpu did 90% of the lifting.

8 hours ago, ChosenOne2000 said:

Mobile quote isn't the to good, but I'm quoting your last post...

I didn't realize the the pu was progressing unit..  And I thought you wanted a higher CPU becuase I always see that on the internet that wanted that high...

you do want a fast cpu but you're not limited by it in terms of graphics card.. the only problem you might have is bus.. if your pcie slot is 2.0 or 1.0 a 3.0 card is going to be severely bottlenecked

ended up getting a 500 watt power supply with the gt 730...   Not the newest but I got it for 50 Canadian from a friend and I got my fps I wanted...  Everything less than 100$ for the upgrade!  Thanks everyone who commented it helped push me to build!  In the future will prolly upgrade to a 960