Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Juan

My English exam assignment

Hi, so I just finished my English exams and would like to compare my assignment with the one you got and I will add my answer to mine to this post as well.

What I want from this post is to maybe get a better understanding of how different school systems operate and how they try to grade their pupils. Don't worry if you're taking your PHD or if you're just a high-school student any contribution is good!

So how the examination process works in the vocational studies in Norway is simple. You get the date you have your exam, you have one day before the exam where you get to prepare yourself and a hint of what the subject will be so that you can practice and study at home. The exam itself will contain elements of what you have studied this semester and your answer will need to reflect that.

On exam day you bring your papers and pc with your earlier assignments from this semester so that you can reflect better on the task you get for your exam.

This year we got a two step exam, one short answer (350-450 words) and one long answer (500-1500 words)

Task A

Write a text for an open evening at our school, the text will give a short summary of what your vocational study is and what you do and learn at school. Try to make the text as informative and appealing as posible to try to get readers to want to go to our school. Create a fitting headline.

For this task I wrote this text.

Open Evening

Hi and welcome to our open evening. This text will help you get an idea of the educational programme that I am studying called "Technical and industrial production" here by "TIP".

TIP is a vocational education programme which focuses on practical mechanical work, automated and manual production and, repairing and maintenance. We learn a lot in the workshops and spend most of time in them, we have some, but not a lot of theoretical subjects, mainly Norwegian, English and Social studies. We have several different subjects in the practical bit of our programme including machining, service and repairs and welding. It's not only practical tough, we have theoretical subjects connected to the worksop subjects called documentation and quality where we learn about properly documenting and ensuring quality in the work we do as well as learning HES rules of the many different machines we use.

In the machining workshop we use mainly two machines called a lathe and one called a mill. The lathe spins the workpiece around a point of axis relative to the centre of the machine while the mill spins the cutting tool around a point of axis relative to the tool holder. So in the lathe we mainly create and modify round objects and shapes while in the mill we mainly create and modify rectangular shapes.

While in the service and repair workshop we dismantle and service anything from engines to screwdrivers, we learn how to create pipe systems and pneumatical and hydraulical systems and ofcourse how to service them properly.

In the welding workshop we cut, sand, file and weld togheter pieces of metal practicing on how to make strong and good looking welded connections and how to use the welding, sanding and cutting machines properly while following the important HES rules.

So in TIP there is much to learn and there are rarely boring days and always something to learn. I hope this text helped you decide if you want to go to this vocational education programme and you enjoyed reading.

Have a nice day!

For the long answer i choose this assignment.

Write a text where you bring up points of why a Vocational study is more future safe for british school leavers rather than taking a degree and why there are so many school leavers aiming for a degree rather than a Vocational stduy/Apprenticeship studies. Choose a fitting headline.

For this assignment I wrote this text:

The future of the this generations school leavers

Choosing what to do after you graduate highschool is one of the most important choises an induvidual will make, it sets the pace of your future worklife and will heavily impact what one will most likely have as a job in the future. In todays society kids leaving school are affected by their parents, living condition, friends and other parts of their family, on what kind of higher education they should and will choose.

Now, choosing the higher education is, as said a really important decision to make in your life and will impact the future of your life so choosing the right thing is important. But what is the right thing to choose? There are a lot of opinions, numbers and statistics to look at when deciding.

According to a study by the IPPR and Edge foundation only a third of the the jobs in the near future (10 year period) will need a degree. Now may not sound bad and it is not bad, the scary thing about these numbers tough are the ones on the other end. Which says that, on its peak in 2011 figures showed that 49 per cent of school leavers had started or planned to start a degree. This means that if these numbers keep going the way they are, a sixth of the educated population will have a degree they can not get a job with as well as a third of the low and medium educational jobs not having enough people to employ.

The problem with this is that a high unemployment rate is dangerous for the integrity of our society as having a sixth of the population living on social aid will criplle the funding for other communal expences. And then having to re-educate a sixth of the future workforce into a lower educational programme because they tought so highly of the degree route and at the same time having hundreds of thousands unemployed jobs due to the education the unemployed have does not have compatability to the jobs that are open.

All of this sounds scary and it is scary but there is an answer to this problem, it is a simple thing called vocational education and apprenticeships. These two programmes are highly underrated and undervalued by this generation which is understandable because of the older generation implying that the degree route is the best solution and has the best pay, which isn't entierly true. You can earn a really decent wage as a skilled metal worker or as a skilled plumber and you are at the same time in a job that has good security for the future as there will always be need for the mechanics or the plumber but if you are in the administrative part of a company you usualy are one of the first to be laid off if they decide to lay off people. In the future that is something that is higly plausible as they will need to cut off people due to overemploying adminstrative workers and not having the ability to employ the practical workers. We should encourage the school leavers to take vocational educations and to take apprenticeships as it is the jobs of the future.

School leavers often think that taking a vocational education means that they will be a carpenter, plumber or a mechanical worker but that is not true. You have a lot of freedom to choose almost anything you want if you decide to take that route, including social care, agriculture, electricians, care services, administrative roles and sales and transport.

These opportunites allow you to practicaly choose exactly what you want to be in the future because all of those programmes will have jobs open and be future secure due to the baby boom generation and a lot of older people retiring. So not only will their jobs need replacement but they, having to be taken care of when they get older will generate jobs. It is the jobs in the low skilled and medium skilled trades that drives the economy forwoard and therefore one should not scare the kids into beliving that it is a bad thing to take those educational programmes. One should rather encourage them into doing it as it is the best thing to do at this point of time according to the numbers given and the future prospects of this country.

So based on those two text and how the sensor* (*the guy who grades my papers) I get my english exam grades.

I hope this was an enjoyable read and I hope that some of you guys can add your English exams so that we can compare how it's done differently in different areas.

- Don Juan Dracula

1 hour ago, Dakka said:

500-1500? Lucky bastard.

All of my papers so far required 2000+.

So, are you attending high-school or college? are you a junior, sophomore or senior?

1 hour ago, Don Juan said:

So, are you attending high-school or college? are you a junior, sophomore or senior?

First semester of college.