Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bulldog

Monitor Opinions

Resolution VS Refresh  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What would you go with...

• 144hz Refresh Rate
    • 1440p (2K) Resolution
    • WILDCARD - Ultrawide of somekind?

My monitor died on me last night, it was a 28" ViewSonic that I got off Craigslist for $100 a few year ago. Since then I've built a new PC so I figured it might be time to invest a bit more money into the display.

My main dilemma is choosing between 2K resolution or 144hz refresh rate. I'll only be able to roll with one monitor for the conceivable future so dual displays are out of the questions.

Any suggestions into displays, or your opinion of the either the resolution or refresh rate would be greatly appreciated.

Just for reference, my budget is about $250 (prefer Amazon for suggestions) and nothing smaller then a 24 inch display. I'm running a GTX 970 with an 4690K i5 and 16gigs of 2400 speed RAM.

Thanks,

Bulldog

The 970 can run things at Medium/High settings at FPS at 2k (More often called 1440p.)

It depends on whether you play mostly CSGO and competitive FPS where you need the fluidness or other games, If you mostly play CSGO and want the advantage of a 144hz, go for the 144hz.

If you want 80% more pixels on a similar size display as a 1080p, for amazing visuals and details, go for 1440p (2k)

I prefer the resolution as I don't really play any games that takes advantage of more than 60fps competitively, so I have a 1440p monitor, and it is so much better than 1080p.

As for ultrawides, you can get it if you want 1080p 60hz for your budget, but I wouldn't recommend it as you seem to be unhappy with both 1080p and 60hz.

Great IPS 1440p Monitor - 

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-G257HU-smidpx-25-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B00QS0AKVK?tag=amazon0606-20

Great 144hz Monitor - 

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-24-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B00ITORITU/?tag=amazon0606-20

Or

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/?tag=amazon0606-20

144hz is good. 4K is still a very young tech, and 1440p is awesome, but not as awesome as 144hz.

5 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I was actually looking really hard at this one before I posited this thread. Seems decent?

If you really want 144hz, yes, BenQs are great monitors.

I would go to a tech store and look at 1440p vs 1080p, if you don't like the difference, get the 144hz, but trust me 1440p is crazy nice.

I've demo'd 1440p monitors at PAX over the last few years and they are amazing. Although I feel like they'd be better suited for movie viewing, like when using Blu-Ray or something similar.... am I wrong to think that? I'd mostly be using the monitor for fast paced gaming such as CS:GO and RL.

Would it be a reasonable idea to survive with a small 17inch VGA display for a few months and save up for a 2K display with 144hz?? I do a lot of stuff using multiple windows and I feel like this would kill me on the inside.

11 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I've demo'd 1440p monitors at PAX over the last few years and they are amazing. Although I feel like they'd be better suited for movie viewing, like when using Blu-Ray or something similar.... am I wrong to think that? I'd mostly be using the monitor for fast paced gaming such as CS:GO and RL.

Would it be a reasonable idea to survive with a small 17inch VGA display for a few months and save up for a 2K display with 144hz?? I do a lot of stuff using multiple windows and I feel like this would kill me on the inside.

Depends on the scaling, can you get 144 FPS in RL? I know you can in CS:GO, as your CPU/GPU combo is very close to mine, although you have a newer GPU.

144HZ won't do anything for games you can't get over 60FPS in, so if the only game you can get over 80~ fps is CS:GO, i would just get a 2k.

They are great for screen real estate and POV. They are amazing for gaming, it's literally 80% more PPI than 1080p. I can't go back to 1080p after trying 1440p.

If you want more fluid gameplay and more FPS in games, get the 144hz, if you want something that will wow you every time you turn the display on, 1440p.

Go with 144hz if you're playing game where it's going to benefit from the extra refresh rate(shooters)

Get 2k if you're playing more story-based games or you tend to watch a lot of videos that would benefit from 2k resolution

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have experience with both 1440p and 144hz monitors, and I prefer 144hz but either option would make for a nice upgrade. I probably only prefer 144hz because I primarily play osu! and CS: GO so if you don't play a lot of competitive games that require lightning fast reaction times then maybe 1440p is a better option but there's much more of a noticeable difference in 144hz monitors if you do play those kinds of games.

For 144hz monitors either the BenQ XL2411Z or the Asus VG248QE are good options. If you want to save a bit of money I guess this Acer monitor is also an option but I have no clue if it's a decent quality monitor or not since I have no experience with Acer products.  Reviews seem good but they count for every single one of these options so I wouldn't trust the star count exclusively.

I personally use a Acer 23" FULL HD LED monitor (no other info on the box unless u tell me where to find it) it was 120 $ and it is a wide screen. I would personally recommend it if you are planning to save up. 

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-inch-Ergonomic-Back-lit/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460684615&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+vg248qe

Best 144hz monitor, Just ask anyone on staff about it. As far as 144hz vs 1440p I chose 144hz. Games like CSGO are not the only games where you can see the benefits of 144hz. Literally any game that you can run above 60 fps will be able to take advantage of 144hz. 1440p is a nice upgrade but on your current GPU you will have to deal with lower fps in any game that you play due to the increased resolution.

144hz really improves the overall experience of using your PC. You will notice the difference even when doing things on windows like moving your mouse or moving windows around. I reinstalled windows a couple months ago. I was getting frustrated because everything felt laggy. I noticed the lag in games and normal windows stuff. It turned out that I didn't have 144hz enabled. 

2 minutes ago, Fugner said:

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-inch-Ergonomic-Back-lit/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460684615&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+vg248qe

Best 144hz monitor, Just ask anyone on staff about it. As far as 144hz vs 1440p I chose 144hz. Games like CSGO are not the only games where you can see the benefits of 144hz. Literally any game that you can run above 60 fps will be able to take advantage of 144hz. 1440p is a nice upgrade but on your current GPU you will have to deal with lower fps in any game that you play due to the increased resolution.

144hz really improves the overall experience of using your PC. You will notice the difference even when doing things on windows like moving your mouse or moving windows around. I reinstalled windows a couple months ago. I was getting frustrated because everything felt laggy. I noticed the lag in games and normal windows stuff. It turned out that I didn't have 144hz enabled. 

I have that one and love it, but I run it @ 120hz w/ lightboost. If you haven't tested 144 vs 120/LB I'd recommend giving it a look, imo the difference is very noticeable in csgo 

Since when is 1440 called 2k... 2k is a horizontal resolution of 2000 pixels or more. 1440 typically refers to vertical resolution and thus would be referred to as 2k. 4k is 4000 horizontal pixels eg. 4096 , which is why it's infuriating that most monitors marketed as 4k only have 3840 horizontal pixels.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, driz said:

Since when is 1440 called 2k..

I have no idea why some are calling it 1440p. Thats the vertical. The horizontal is 2560... Maybe because the ultra wide monitors came out slightly before so people started using the vertical so you knew it was a regular dimension monitor and not ultra wide?

i blame the 1440p on tv because of the whole 1080p bullshit.. the XK shit is all a gimick though.. you literally have no idea what the horizontal is when someone says "2K" or "4k" because it just has to be equal or greater than.. guess what... 4k is 2k... 2k is 2000 pixels or more.. therefore 4000 pixels is more qualifying it as 2k.  

then you ppl perpetuate this ignorant marketing and cause me to rage because you're all so stupid.

P.S. i love you all and highly respect everyone's intelligence.

Oh, I just roll with what everyone else says. Join the crowd type of thing, ya know? What do you use Driz?

at work 2 4k by 2k (4096x2160p) they're both 31" which surprisingly end up looking huge. both do 60hz due to no dp1.3

at home i still use 1920x1080 @ 60hz. will 144hz help? sure will i play better? no, im just bad at FPS.

ill just be like most of the kids and pretend that the fact my fps reading shows 100 even though my monitor is 60hz means it's better than locking fps to 60 :P