Sign in to follow this  
Gerald

Clarification about propsurfing and discombobulator jumping

Propsurfing is considered a slayable action. While I strongly disagree with the reasoning behind why this is the case, this should answer any Server Officer or paidmin questions about the subject. Yes, this is already in the MOTD, but I was getting questions about it.

Discombobulator jumping is allowed. This includes jumping to spots that are otherwise inaccessible. However, should you get someone damaged or killed and they choose to report you, you can be slain. You can still be KOSed, for using them.

Edited by Gerald

To further clarify, prop surfing in any form has always been against the rules.

The reasons for this are you should be playing the game at hand (doing your specified role) not taking game breaking routes by flying over people or making it to hard/impossible to reach locations and distracting from the overall experience.

If we allowed propsurfing people would be flying around on pigs/minecarts then others would try/watch and this would without a doubt lead to longer and more boring rounds.

28 minutes ago, Ian Kinsler said:

What about using a discombob to jump to an inaccessible area of the map?

17 hours ago, Gerald said:

Discombobulator jumping is allowed. This includes jumping to spots that are otherwise inaccessible. However, should you get someone damaged or killed and they choose to report you, you can be slain.

I now realize Gerald edited his original post to answer your question, Ian. Forgive me lmfao

Edited by Dr. NarwhalsNumbNuts IV

Thank you for clearing things up. I wasn't slaying for either case but now I'll start slaying for prop surfing.

One more related case though: what is the legality of using minecarts to reach the back corner of the nether on b5? I mean to do it you don't have to prop surf in the typical sense, rather you use the minecart as a boat to cross the lava. Is that slayable?

26 minutes ago, Darren said:

Thank you for clearing things up. I wasn't slaying for either case but now I'll start slaying for prop surfing.

One more related case though: what is the legality of using minecarts to reach the back corner of the nether on b5? I mean to do it you don't have to prop surf in the typical sense, rather you use the minecart as a boat to cross the lava. Is that slayable?

It's still propsurfing.

16 hours ago, ZachPL said:

It's still propsurfing.

I think Zach he's talking about when you use two minecarts in the Nether and you put one in the lava, jump on it, then use your magneto stick to move the other one in front of the one you're currently on, then jump on the minecart in front of you, and so on and so forth. There isn't any prop surfing in it, but you are using the minecarts to basically not die from the lava and then you're getting to a part of the map that's almost inaccessible (unless you know how to get there from the minecarts).

Discombobulators should be KOSable, regardless of intent. It states so in the MOTD and it would just create confusion with players in-game because you can't prove intent to reach an accessible area.

I can already see the reports lining up about people complaining that they were killed when throwing a discombob to 'reach a roof' or something. Then I would have to explain to the person that was reported that they'll have to be slain for RDM when they killed based on a valid reason stated in the MOTD? Doesn't seem fair.

There's no room for grey area in the MOTD; Either make disco's KOSable or not, imo.

21 minutes ago, Sith said:

Discombobulators should be KOSable, regardless of intent. It states so in the MOTD and it would just create confusion with players in-game because you can't prove intent to reach an accessible area.

I can already see the reports lining up about people complaining that they were killed when throwing a discombob to 'reach a roof' or something. Then I would have to explain to the person that was reported that they'll have to be slain for RDM when they killed based on a valid reason stated in the MOTD? Doesn't seem fair.

There's no room for grey area in the MOTD; Either make disco's KOSable or not, imo.

Nothing has changed, if you get hurt from a discombobulater and you knew who threw it then they are kosable, this is all recorded in damagelogs so it isn't a issue. 

Rules are the same as they have always been, these specific rules haven't changed for years.

54 minutes ago, ZachPL said:

Nothing has changed, if you get hurt from a discombobulater and you knew who threw it then they are kosable, this is all recorded in damagelogs so it isn't a issue. 

Rules are the same as they have always been, these specific rules haven't changed for years.

It doesn't state that you have to get hurt to be KOS'd,

It states that it is KOSable to throw a discombobulator, regardless of whether it hurt/killed anyone or not.

Edited by Sith
Forgot the quote

23 hours ago, ZachPL said:

Yeah, they are I guess I just misread your first post... We did it that for the reason you stated, it's hard to determine if it was on purpose or not.

So are we KOSing on thrown discombobs or not... regardless on intent.

3 minutes ago, Sith said:

So are we KOSing on thrown discombobs or not... regardless on intent.

I say if we aren't going to, then we definitely need the rule to be changed so there isn't any confusion among the players.

On 3/11/2016 at 5:58 PM, Gerald said:

Yes.

So what was the point of this thread if we're just gonna KOS on discombobs regardless...

13 minutes ago, Sith said:

So what was the point of this thread if we're just gonna KOS on discombobs regardless...

The point is that discombob jumping isn't slayable. It became a recent issue when someone was slain for discombob jumping and the person who slayed them argued it's because they reached an unreachable area (on top of the ceiling lamp in the new mc dolls map)

You may still KOS someone for it since they did throw a discombob. It's like random shooting - you won't get slain for killing someone who's doing it, but 9 times out of 10 the person is going to be inno.