Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Face

PC Part Choices

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nHvszy

I already have a GTX 960 and I've already purchased a good battery with some Amazon cash I had.

I am aiming to purchase in April so I got 2 months to consider this. I don't keep up with stuff so IDK if any special pc parts are coming out before then.

I've selected the 6600K on the suggestion of Driz like 4 months ago.

One of my MAIN concerns is I want a user friendly case. I hate my case and I hate how it is designed and it is cheap and poorly thought out. I really want both sides to be removable to make wiring behind the MOBO simple. I don't really give a shit what it looks like, tbh. I also like the idea of not having a fan on either side, but idk if that is reasonable considering it is a pretty good place for pumping heat out of your case.

Any suggestions welcome, thanx sg fam.

Trying to stay under $900.

Get another 8GB of RAM. Higher-end games are asking for 8GB, and some games have crashed on me, due to my low amount of RAM (8GB). Thanks to the new generation of consoles, developers feel like they don't have to optimize games as well.

960 is a pretty shitty card. The 970 is 35-40% better, dependent on the game, so if you can swap, it would be beneficial. It'll last a lot longer, at 1080p.

i5 6600k will last you a long time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020
^
That is the case I use. You can slide off both side panels, and it is very spacious.

Get another 8GB of RAM. Higher-end games are asking for 8GB, and some games have crashed on me, due to my low amount of RAM (8GB). Thanks to the new generation of consoles, developers feel like they don't have to optimize games as well.

960 is a pretty shitty card. The 970 is 35-40% better, dependent on the game, so if you can swap, it would be beneficial. It'll last a lot longer, at 1080p.

i5 6600k will last you a long time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020

^

That is the case I use. You can slide off both side panels, and it is very spacious.

960 replaced my 260 when I was poor as fuck. I'll probably upgrade the gfx card in a year.

The 8GB is essentially my "intro" ram. I fully plan on getting 8GB more, probably in less than a year.

I'll take a look at both of those cases.

Smart choice on waiting for gfx upgrade (No offense gerald) but tbh if you're looking to spend a couple hundred on a good gfx card, you should definitely wait until the pascal cards come out. Most of what you have looks solid, and very rarely will you see a need for more than 8gb ram as a typical user, so upgrading later is also a fine option.

So far I like Knox and Gerald's case suggestions the most (the price point helps as well).

Any points on my Ram quality (not gb) or mobo, etc?

The case you have on the part picker is the best case in existence. I have had it for the past 5 years and its great. Literally more spacious and easy to work with than any of the cases posted so far. HAF X for lyfe.

Edit: Also the hafx comes with 3 200mm fans and they are nutty compared to regular 120mm fans. More airflow and less noise.

This is what I used in my build. http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/graphite-series It has a lot of room (honestly more then I probably need), great tie down points, drive cages can be relocated/removed, and I LOVE how the doors open with a latch. Makes cleaning a breeze.

I was gonna buy the Enthoo Pro, but my buddy bought it about two days before me, so I had to go to my second option.

Anything change in the last month and a half? Going to make the order this week or next and get the parts on my original list if nobody tells me a reason to change anything.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2nXvLk

This is what I ordered, you can probably upgrade to the S440, but this is a really nice build that went together really well.

The case is super nice, I got the Matte Black/Red one which looks super high quality.

Cable Management is so easy, which was a dealbreaker for me.

You definitely need more storage, I'd pick up a 1TB drive for around $60 to put all your other shit that's not on your SSD.

That's my build without the GFX card, which I'm waiting for Pascal to buy a new one.

11 hours ago, Spicy Chicken said:

Anyone else can chime in here, but to my understanding (POOR UNDERSTANDING PROBABLY) of RAM, the ram I selected is better because the CAS latency is 13 vs yours is 16. With wizard math I think I read online you can do the DDR4 number (is it MHz? I'm an idiot) divided by the latency. So 2666/13 is > 3200/16 thus it is better.

Feel free to correct me!

I do appreciate the suggestions tho and will look into them all. Been considering the 6700K as well, we will see.

20 hours ago, Face said:

Anyone else can chime in here, but to my understanding (POOR UNDERSTANDING PROBABLY) of RAM, the ram I selected is better because the CAS latency is 13 vs yours is 16. With wizard math I think I read online you can do the DDR4 number (is it MHz? I'm an idiot) divided by the latency. So 2666/13 is > 3200/16 thus it is better.

Feel free to correct me!

I do appreciate the suggestions tho and will look into them all. Been considering the 6700K as well, we will see.

Assuming you have enough RAM it will hardly ever bottleneck your computer nowadays since it has so much throughput (if you don't have enough you'll enter pagefile or swap territory which is really slow). Generally you'll only see a 1-2 FPS difference between "faster RAM" and "slower RAM" unless you're talking about generational leaps like DDR2 to DDR3. With that motherboard there is some issues with where the CPU FAN headers are in that if you're mounting radiators above the motherboard you won't be able to reach the headers easily. Since you're using a heatsink and fan this will only be an issue if you plan on getting water cooling.

Your case is one of the most well-known and respected cases that have been used for years (see Fugner's reply) so I'd stick with that unless the price or aesthetics is an issue for you.

On 4/2/2016 at 2:00 PM, Face said:

Feel free to correct me!

If you're doing CPU-intensive stuff outside of gaming that benefits from hyperthreading, get the 6700k. If not, Get the 6600k. Also, try to stay away from newegg for parts. If something happens, their customer service has gone to shit compared to the days of yore when they were first starting out. Amazon all the way, bro