Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timeassassin103

Suggestions on Parts

Hey guys, I'm planning on upgraded my computer build I did last year and wanted to know some suggestions and feedback on some of the parts.

1. Case - I have a medium tower currently and I'm wanting to upgrade to a full tower case so I can get a better cooling system and a bigger GPU, but I have no idea what is exactly is "good". I've been looking at the CM Storm Trooper case and the NZXT Phantom and they both looking promising, but I'm wanting to know what do you guys recommend out of the two or have your own suggestion? My budget is at a minimum of $100 to $180.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146066&cm_re=nzxt_phantom-_-11-146-066-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119297&cm_re=CM_Storm_Trooper-_-11-119-297-_-Product

2. GPU - I've been looking to upgrade my 750 to a 980, but I do not know what brand has reliable GPUs. I read that EVGA has great cards but I looked at the MSI one since it is cheaper by $30, but is it worth getting a MSI over a EVGA? Or do you guys have other reliable brands that you use?

3. Cooling System - This kinda ties in with the case suggestion, but is it worth going liquid cooling or air cooled? I've been looking at a be quiet! Dark Rock, but I'm wondering if there is a better alternative. My budget for a cooling system would be from $80 to say $180.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0640&cm_re=be_quiet-_-9SIA68V21E0640-_-Product

4. Dedicated sound card - I just recently bought a pair of Sennhesier HD 558s and I'm wondering if it is worth getting a sound card? I've looked at mixed reviews of having one and I can't decide to buy one or not. And I don't know what brand or what to look at in a sound card. My minimum budget for it would be $60 to $120.

I can go above my budget maximum a bit, but not a lot.

I'd go with the NZXT for the case.

For the GPU, take a look at the 980ti its a huge difference for 150 bucks.. also check out the asus strix variant.

For cooling, water cooling is definitely optimal and that brand that you linked is horrible. Check out the corsair h100i or EKWB water cooling.

I'm not sure about sound cards so i'll take that to someone else.

For a case, I'd recommend going with a Corsair model if you're going with the H100 or H110 as a CPU cooling solution because fitment issues are pretty much 0. If not, it's whatever floats your boat or catches your eye.

GPU, unless you'll be gaming at 4k or at 4k downscaled to 1080p (DSR is the term, if I remember correctly), you'll be fine with the 980, but I would recommend a reference PCB in case you go with a full cooling loop down the road.

Cooling has a few different viable options. The Dark Rock is a pretty solid cooler, albeit from a lesser known enthusiast brand. However, for the money, you're better off getting an AIO liquid loop, sacrificing 1-2 fan slots, and calling it a day. If your case fits a 280mm, my recommendation lies with the H110 since it's in my setup already. If it will only fit a 240, H100/H100i/H100i GTX if you're looking at corsair as a brand, especially since Amazon tends to have great deals on them.

Sound cards are a mixed bag. For that amount, you won't get anything amazing unless you can get a second-hand steal on a Xonar Phoebus or an Essence STX. You'd be better off doing a little bit of overspending and get a Schiit stack (Magni/Modi). The 588 isn't an actual Sennheiser headphone, so you're either using the 558's or 598's, both of which don't need any sort of amplification from a high-end card, luckily.

Most recent onboard sound chips are pretty solid if you don't want to spend the $200+shipping/tax on the stack just yet, so unless you're dead-set on an external solution, holding off is probably best..

For a case, I'd recommend going with a Corsair model if you're going with the H100 or H110 as a CPU cooling solution because fitment issues are pretty much 0. If not, it's whatever floats your boat or catches your eye.

GPU, unless you'll be gaming at 4k or at 4k downscaled to 1080p (DSR is the term, if I remember correctly), you'll be fine with the 980, but I would recommend a reference PCB in case you go with a full cooling loop down the road.

Cooling has a few different viable options. The Dark Rock is a pretty solid cooler, albeit from a lesser known enthusiast brand. However, for the money, you're better off getting an AIO liquid loop, sacrificing 1-2 fan slots, and calling it a day. If your case fits a 280mm, my recommendation lies with the H110 since it's in my setup already. If it will only fit a 240, H100/H100i/H100i GTX if you're looking at corsair as a brand, especially since Amazon tends to have great deals on them.

Sound cards are a mixed bag. For that amount, you won't get anything amazing unless you can get a second-hand steal on a Xonar Phoebus or an Essence STX. You'd be better off doing a little bit of overspending and get a Schiit stack (Magni/Modi). The 588 isn't an actual Sennheiser headphone, so you're either using the 558's or 598's, both of which don't need any sort of amplification from a high-end card, luckily.

Most recent onboard sound chips are pretty solid if you don't want to spend the $200+shipping/tax on the stack just yet, so unless you're dead-set on an external solution, holding off is probably best..

Yeah I meant the 558, that was a typo on my part. And I might just hold off and the dedicated sound card since that did interested me some to do research but I had gotten mixed results. For the GPU I might just go with the 980 since I'm not going to be gaming at 4K res yet. And looking at the liquid cooler I might as well experiment and give it a try, since my dad is wanting to try liquid cooling as well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Hey guys, I'm planning on upgraded my computer build I did last year and wanted to know some suggestions and feedback on some of the parts.

1. Case - I have a medium tower currently and I'm wanting to upgrade to a full tower case so I can get a better cooling system and a bigger GPU, but I have no idea what is exactly is "good". I've been looking at the CM Storm Trooper case and the NZXT Phantom and they both looking promising, but I'm wanting to know what do you guys recommend out of the two or have your own suggestion? My budget is at a minimum of $100 to $180.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146066&cm_re=nzxt_phantom-_-11-146-066-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119297&cm_re=CM_Storm_Trooper-_-11-119-297-_-Product

2. GPU - I've been looking to upgrade my 750 to a 980, but I do not know what brand has reliable GPUs. I read that EVGA has great cards but I looked at the MSI one since it is cheaper by $30, but is it worth getting a MSI over a EVGA? Or do you guys have other reliable brands that you use?

3. Cooling System - This kinda ties in with the case suggestion, but is it worth going liquid cooling or air cooled? I've been looking at a be quiet! Dark Rock, but I'm wondering if there is a better alternative. My budget for a cooling system would be from $80 to say $180.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0640&cm_re=be_quiet-_-9SIA68V21E0640-_-Product

4. Dedicated sound card - I just recently bought a pair of Sennhesier HD 558s and I'm wondering if it is worth getting a sound card? I've looked at mixed reviews of having one and I can't decide to buy one or not. And I don't know what brand or what to look at in a sound card. My minimum budget for it would be $60 to $120.

I can go above my budget maximum a bit, but not a lot.

1. I have a computer with a Phantom case. I'm not a huge fan of it as it looks too flashy. I'd much prefer something that looks less "gamery" but still has options.
  2. To be honest most graphics card manufacturers are pretty good nowadays. I'd say MSI or EVGA are my favorites in this category with aftermarket coolers.
  3. Personally I am using a H100i GTX in my new build. This depends on if you are planning on overclocking or not, and what CPU you plan on using (socket type). The brands you have listed are decently good (be quiet! is pretty well known but I haven't heard from Dark Rock in a long while). Just be sure to make sure your cooler has the correct socket type and that the fans/radiators physically fit on the case if you go through with the water cooling route.
  4. I noticed a significant improvement in audio quality after buying a sound card as opposed to my on-board audio in that I was able to use a hardware equalizer rather than rely on software equalizers. Also they are generally able to run your speakers at a much higher volume since they can amplify the output because they have more power.

As a side note, if you're using a new Skylake CPU be sure to not buy a huge air cooling unit. The new socket type (LGA 1151) apparently has issues with the socket being bent by large air coolers when being moved/shipped. For most purposes the 980 will work out well; however, I'd definitely recommend a 980ti even if you're not planning to run games at 4K as it'll give you more use in the future.

I have the NZXT Phantom 530 in my build, and while it's great and all, I wished I went for the NZXT H440, although I did need a CD-ROM drive.  The looks are alright, but I agree with Mimic that I want something more conserved.  

I also have a GTX 970, and I easily get over 250+ FPS on CS:GO with everything on High/Ultra High. It's the MSI one, and I have no problems with their card, they also have good software for the card, but their customer support is terrible.  Luckily, I've had no problems with mine.  The 980 TI is a great card tho. 

I also have the Corsair H100i, and its a great CPU pump.  Easy to install, ok software, good warranties.  However, I didn't know that it needed its own SATA cable, so beware.

I do regret having my build be Red, and I wish I had gotten EVGA green and lighter colors.  Just my personal preference on aesthetics.  

I have the NZXT Phantom 530 in my build, and while it's great and all, I wished I went for the NZXT H440, although I did need a CD-ROM drive.  The looks are alright, but I agree with Mimic that I want something more conserved.  

I also have a GTX 970, and I easily get over 250+ FPS on CS:GO with everything on High/Ultra High. It's the MSI one, and I have no problems with their card, they also have good software for the card, but their customer support is terrible.  Luckily, I've had no problems with mine.  The 980 TI is a great card tho. 

I also have the Corsair H100i, and its a great CPU pump.  Easy to install, ok software, good warranties.  However, I didn't know that it needed its own SATA cable, so beware.

I do regret having my build be Red, and I wish I had gotten EVGA green and lighter colors.  Just my personal preference on aesthetics.  

It needs SATA power not SATA data, just to verify. 

1. I have a computer with a Phantom case. I'm not a huge fan of it as it looks too flashy. I'd much prefer something that looks less "gamery" but still has options.
  2. To be honest most graphics card manufacturers are pretty good nowadays. I'd say MSI or EVGA are my favorites in this category with aftermarket coolers.
  3. Personally I am using a H100i GTX in my new build. This depends on if you are planning on overclocking or not, and what CPU you plan on using (socket type). The brands you have listed are decently good (be quiet! is pretty well known but I haven't heard from Dark Rock in a long while). Just be sure to make sure your cooler has the correct socket type and that the fans/radiators physically fit on the case if you go through with the water cooling route.
  4. I noticed a significant improvement in audio quality after buying a sound card as opposed to my on-board audio in that I was able to use a hardware equalizer rather than rely on software equalizers. Also they are generally able to run your speakers at a much higher volume since they can amplify the output because they have more power.

As a side note, if you're using a new Skylake CPU be sure to not buy a huge air cooling unit. The new socket type (LGA 1151) apparently has issues with the socket being bent by large air coolers when being moved/shipped. For most purposes the 980 will work out well; however, I'd definitely recommend a 980ti even if you're not planning to run games at 4K as it'll give you more use in the future.

Yeah I planned on overclocking at one point. My current CPU is a AMD FX-6300. Also what sound card did you bought so I can compare with other sound cards, if it peaks my interest some more. For the case I might just go with the Phantom 630 since it is bigger than the previous Phantom I listed, so it should fit the 980 Ti and water cooling.

Yeah I planned on overclocking at one point. My current CPU is a AMD FX-6300. Also what sound card did you bought so I can compare with other sound cards, if it peaks my interest some more. For the case I might just go with the Phantom 630 since it is bigger than the previous Phantom I listed, so it should fit the 980 Ti and water cooling.

You should be able to fit everything into the normal Phantom as long as it has mounting holes for any radiators or fans you have/want. Personally I like the aesthetics of the 630 more, so I won't convince you to not use it. I'm using a modded Sound Blaster Z from Creative for a sound card since it isn't super expensive ($70 or so on Amazon right now) and supports SPDIF optical input. I modded it by removing the super bright red LEDs that come pre-installed and replaced them with normal (non-light emitting) diodes. I don't believe it's necessary to replace the LEDs with diodes and that you can just snip them off, but with my background I couldn't let myself do that...