Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swed

Back Again, Looking for New Modem and Router

I've done a bit a research and seen the errors of my ways. I'm now willing (and hoping to) separate the modem and the router. Budget is currently up in the air, show me all you've got.

Modem must support DOCSIS 3.0. It must also take 2 phone lines (I've found that the ISP-specific modems are the only ones that do this, I'll have to talk to my dad about it and see what he wants to do.), although the number of Ethernet ports no longer matters as I have an 8-port switch this time around.

Modem I'm currently looking at: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6183-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00MA5U1FW?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJM4NKIQGABP2PIRA&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00MA5U1FW&tag=thewire06-20&ascsubtag=WC12298

Router must support 802.11ac, n not as important but preferred still.

At this point, I'm just looking for general recommendations as I can't seem to find a good starting point as of now.

Router I'm currently looking at: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2465773,00.asp

What ISP are you looking to get?

I just got FIOS set up, they gave me a AC1750 router (don't know the manufacturer) It's capable of 802.11ac and has gigabit LAN. No phone jacks though. Hell, I never gave my phone number to anyone or made any calls from it yet. Don't even have a phone set up and I get blasted with 800 number call notifications on the TV all day. How do you set someone up with home telephone then sell the phone number to advertisers?

Sorry about the rant. There isn't a big selection for telephony modems out there.

It's Comcast, and it's already setup.

Just trying to transition my parents off of these shitty modem router combos that they pay whatever a month for.

The speeds we get from Comcast are good, it's just the hardware that blows.

Comcast usually uses off the shelf modems, just buy what they used and route on the router... Tbh I'm not sure why anyone uses non VoIP anymore

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Comcast usually uses off the shelf modems, just buy what they used and route on the router... Tbh I'm not sure why anyone uses non VoIP anymore

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

As far as I'm told, the home alarm runs over the phone lines, although my dad said that may be wrong

As far as I'm told, the home alarm runs over the phone lines, although my dad said that may be wrong

if you have comcast's alarm system then you're right. It's one of the reasons i specifically didn't use them. Mine uses the network primarily (can do cat5 or wifi) and 4g as a backup if the network is cut. You're going to run into some PITA work to get your phone lines up to be perfectly honest. what's the model of the modem they gave you, and can you post a pic covering ports and such?

in the fiber world, fiber runs to an ONT then splits out into x rj12 (phone) lines and a cat5 line. usually the "tv" is iptv over multicast which is split out at the router into an IPTV box and the rest is straight internet. because cable companies do this all in a single box... well you can imagine.

call comcast and find out what box you would use if you swapped to comcast business with your phones lines and security system. iirc it's about as big as a mini-pc..

if you skip the phone lines, the 6183 is what i just put in for my parents behind a Meraki MX64 router, for wifi I installed Ubiquiti UniFi Pro Enterprise Wifi system (you can buy in a 3pack) they support zero handoff so there is one on each floor of the house and your devices automatically jump to the best one as they move. supports 300Mbps in 5Ghz and 450Mbps in 2.4Ghz. they're POE powered.

The house isn't wired for ethernet everywhre, so I'd much prefer if I could keep within the the computer area we do have the coax running to. I read somewhere that it would be possible to run two modems, but I'm a little confused on how that would work as far as needing only one coax line.

Also, it's not comcast security. I'll post pictures of the modem when I get home. It's an arris surfboard tg862.