Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Piero

CS:GO Winter Tournament [Jan 22-24]

Thanks to everyone that participated and congratulations to the winners of the tournament!

We named Sack the MVP of the Tournament due to his utter domination in the Semi-Finals and Finals.

I hope you all enjoyed this tournament run by Piero and myself. If there’s anything you would change or think needs fixing please let us know or simply post in here. I had a great time preparing and running the tournament and now feel a little lost without it haha.

There should be another tournament in the summer time -- I'd like to try out Team Entry but we'll likely stick to Captains seeing as how it was pretty decently balanced this year. So keep working on those skills, strats and smokes and maybe in sG Summer 2016 you will be crowned, Tournament Champion…

Had an amazing time with the tourney even though we lost. Had to bold that since I feel like the comments below read a bit too negatively but do know that I enjoyed the week preparing for this past weekend. I do feel like the structure is a bit off -- my team beat Tristan's team in groups: we go 3-0 and he goes 2-1. Our next match is in the semis where we face off once again and we get kicked out for losing? It just doesn't feel right. Killer had a similar situation.

Also a bunch of people were apparently unaware of the start of the semi-finals. I also didn't think it'd be Saturday -- we all assumed it was to be on Sunday and at least a few of us needed to cancel plans quickly. I don't know where we went wrong here, did the last tournament have semi+finals together? Did we just skim through the schedule too fast? Idk.

On that note, the amount of consecutive games was exhausting. My entire team was dreading that I was wrong when I said semi-finals were BO3, we had just played 2 games prior and Tristan's team expressed the same drained reaction. Potentially 3 more games, 3 more hours, in an environment where every round counts even in a casual and fun atmosphere -- that's some daunting stuff; we half-joked about forfeiting.

That aside, like I said, great time. Was hyped for the past week about it and still kinda am. Can't wait for the next one!

I'm glad you had a great time Rootbeer and thanks for your input.

I just want to point out a few things because some others also didn't know the Semis were on Saturday as well.

If you look at the full schedule which was posted the week of the tournament it showed that the Semis were on the same day.

http://www.joinsg.net/page/csgotour.html

This is the link from the banner as well as the hyperlink in the main post saying "For more info see the full Group Stages and Bracket here"

I think too many people relied on my little diagram/screenshot of the Group Stages and didn't look into the Final Stage times. I could have alleviated that by just deleting that picture but I felt it was easier to find out when you were playing in Groups.

Also in the main post under Times: it said when the Groups, Semis and Finals were a week prior to the tournament start.

"The times you need to be available are the following:

Times are in CST
Friday 22nd - 7 P.M. to 10 P.M. (Group Stages)
Saturday 23rd - 3 P.M. to 10 P.M. (Group Stages and Semis)
Sunday 24th - 3 P.M. to 6 P.M. (Finals)"

I chose to make Saturday the longest because if I had the Semis and Finals on Sunday people would be complaining that Sunday would be too long and draining. Two BO3's back to back could potentially be 6 hours of intense CS, which is just one hour short of how long Saturday was and during Saturday most teams got a break in between games. I could have made Semis and Finals on Sunday but chose not to because I wanted to keep it condensed into Saturday instead of having a long Sunday night (3pm-9pm CST).

That being said though, some teams in Group B and C definitely had the longest days on Saturday (that's just the way any tournament goes) -- your team being one of them. However you guys had a two hour break because of your bye to the Semi Finals.

In reality this is what a CSGO or any weekend tournament is (especially with the lack of hours we have on Friday evening). Competitive CSGO is very much a mental game and the ones that can endure focus for the game are the ones that will usually succeed.

I suppose though we could put the Semis and Finals in one day for more hype and excitement but it will be enduring and strenuous just as much as Saturday was.

Edit:

Last tournament with the finals of Sack vs. Tristan were two BO3's and Tristans team had just played a BO3 Semi Final to get into the finals, all in one Sunday. We were playing until 1am on a Sunday which was like 8 hours of CS. I wanted to prevent that from happening and think playing until 10pm at the latest on a Saturday wasn't as bad as it could've been.

I had a good time playing maybe in the future we should do a king of the hill style tournament where the winners of the prior tournament can return with the same lineup.

Also on the topic of playing back to back to back games. It's better than waiting hours in between matches.

Edit:

Last tournament with the finals of Sack vs. Tristan were two BO3's and Tristans team had just played a BO3 Semi Final to get into the finals, all in one Sunday. We were playing until 1am on a Sunday which was like 8 hours of CS. I wanted to prevent that from happening and think playing until 10pm at the latest on a Saturday wasn't as bad as it could've been.

Those finals were draining

Those finals were draining

Definitely and work the next day was tiring with only 5 hours of sleep.

EDIT:

Also as for playing Tristan again and as for us playing Eddy again (after we played them in groups). It's true that I could have swapped them for variety but I also liked the rivalry that was built throughout the tournament, so I kept them the same as what they were seeded.

I'm not sure what K1LLer is on about.

I'm not sure what K1LLer is on about.

He and root were both in a situation where their team was 3-0 going into semis vs. a team that was 2-1. They lose having a better record and also being a perfect record at that and get knocked out to a team who's already lost. From my understanding, there's confusion as to the rules of progression going from a round robin style into a single elim that players seemed unaware of. Not that it can be changed now, but clarification could be nice? Idk, just trying to mediate for them.

For the next tournament all the teams should be split into groups again then seeded, then have lower seeded team go against other team near or of the same seed and the higher seed with the higher of course in a double elimination bracket so ALL TEAMS GET 2 CHANCES AT THE FINALS. Even if they lose their first game they still have another. I feel as if Killer and Rootbeer's team each should have had another chance they each respectively had a great track record in the tournoment and a single loss after a great proformence should not be unrewarded and is not deserving.

You go 3-0 or 2-1 out of group you make it out. There's 2 from each group. You don't have a loser bracket with a group format. But having the better record out of groups gets you a bye in the semis.As opposed to having to play in the quarter finals. So the best possible result is your bye. The format of the tournament does not allow for a loses bracket. That's why they were 1 and done.

TLDR it wasn't a double elim tourney. You lost in the semis which you got a bye to having the best record out of groups

He and root were both in a situation where their team was 3-0 going into semis vs. a team that was 2-1. They lose having a better record and also being a perfect record at that and get knocked out to a team who's already lost. From my understanding, there's confusion as to the rules of progression going from a round robin style into a single elim that players seemed unaware of. Not that it can be changed now, but clarification could be nice? Idk, just trying to mediate for them.

He got out of groups at the top with the lowest round difference of the teams who won their groups (lowest seed).

Robin Rounds were only for groups...

Edit: double elim would have been dumb with a group stage....

He got out of groups at the top with the lowest round difference of the teams who won their groups (lowest seed).

Robin Rounds were only for groups...

Edit: double elim would have been dumb with a group stage....

like I said, wasn't the one making the complaint, was just trying to communicate the idea as I heard it being told.

Speaking of Prizes... I am still waiting on MeowN, JMaFia, Failwhale and Renegade.

In order, can you pick an item from the donated prize list? Here's what we have left over:

• Tomb Raider (x1) (donated by Bulldog)
  • One Month Premium Admin (x5)
  • Custom Title (x5)

If MeowN doesn't claim Tomb Raider by 11:59 PM CST, then it can go to JMaFia and if he doesn't claim it within 24 hours of 11:59 PM CST tonight, it will move to the next on the list and so on...

If you'd like a Custom Title or Admin, let me know asap.

There will be a delay on your AWP/AK Redline prizes as they're stuck in trade limbo... :( We'll get you those asap.

Thanks for clarifying what was being said.

Truthfully, I think this is not a failure on our part but a failure to read what's in front of them before they sign up.

Group Stages and Brackets

• This tournament will be using Group Stages and Single Elimination Bracket (if we don't get 12 teams, we will go back to Double Elimination).
  • 3 Groups of 4 teams -- Top 2 teams of each group will move forward to the Playoffs (Single Elim Bracket).
  • The Top 2 teams of the tournament (least amount of Rounds Against) in Group Stages will receive a bye to the Semi-Finals in the Playoffs.
  • A graphic will be put up for display before the tournament to better help teams visualize who they are playing and how to get to the finals.
  • Group Matches and Wild Card Matches (Round 1) will be Best of 1.
  • Semi-finals and Finals will be Best of 3

It was stated prior to sign-ups that this would have a 12 team max Group Stage and Single Elim bracket. It was plain and clear from Day 1.

If you went 3-0 in your group it means you were the best in your group. Group Stage was a way of seeding teams for the Single Elimination bracket. You could be 3-0 but that doesn't mean you're the best in the tournament as a team that's 2-1 could be better than yours, even though they have a loss, maybe they had a tougher fight in their group. Again groups were a way of seeding and the playoffs (single elim) are where it counts (just like any league of any game).

Next time, if its the will of the people signed up I could make all Single Elimination games BO3 but that would require 3 more hours of everyone's time. 

And the semi-finals and finals would both be on Sunday with another 6 hours -- I thought that'd be a bit excessive. No one proposed or suggested anything prior to it so I thought everyone was cool with the layout (and understood it).

I'm gonna be honest this tournament was really fun even though I never won a game and got pooped on my first game, it was really competitive and what I was looking for. Thank you Fugner for picking me even though we lost and I let our team down in game 1.