Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noah

Please demote

Piero is s bad RO and needs to be demoted, he can't count, dates wrong. Nothing but a bad representation of sg. And he advertises for cg. Please demote or ban him

1. crobat,

2. Poseidon,

3. Tortoise,

4. agrippa,

5. ted,

6. BRZ,

7. Kim,

8. Bite,

9. fps,

10. infested,,

11. Marine Putin,

12. TackyTime,

13. KiLLeR,

14. Trav,

15. Moose,

16. PROSAK ,

17. Mark,

18. Rootbeer,

19. Howard

That is +38.

Just Saying

1. crobat,

2. Poseidon,

3. Tortoise,

4. agrippa,

5. ted,

6. BRZ,

7. Kim,

8. Bite,

9. fps,

10. infested,,

11. Marine Putin,

12. TackyTime,

13. KiLLeR,

14. Trav,

15. Moose,

16. PROSAK ,

17. Mark,

18. Rootbeer,

19. Howard

That is +38.

Just Saying

No idea where he got his numbers from hahaha. I had it correct.

You make mistakes, but I don't have any regrets. I'm the kind of person who takes responsibility for it and deals with it. I learn from everything I do. I work very hard, I have so many things going on in my life. Get to know me and see who I am. -Kim Kardashian

Quantum mechanics has had enormous success in explaining many of the features of our universe. Quantum mechanics is often the only tool available that can reveal the individual behaviors of the subatomic particles that make up all forms of matter (electrons,protonsneutronsphotons, and others). Quantum mechanics has strongly influenced string theories, candidates for a Theory of Everything (see reductionism).

Quantum mechanics is also critically important for understanding how individual atoms combine covalently to form molecules. The application of quantum mechanics to chemistry is known as quantum chemistry. Relativistic quantum mechanics can, in principle, mathematically describe most of chemistry. Quantum mechanics can also provide quantitative insight into ionic and covalent bonding processes by explicitly showing which molecules are energetically favorable to which others and the magnitudes of the energies involved. Furthermore, most of the calculations performed in modern computational chemistry rely on quantum mechanics.

350px-Rtd_seq_v3.gif

A working mechanism of a resonant tunneling diode device, based on the phenomenon of quantum tunneling through potential barriers

A great deal of modern technological inventions operate at a scale where quantum effects are significant. Examples include the laser, the transistor (and thus the microchip), the electron microscope, andmagnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The study of semiconductors led to the invention of the diode and the transistor, which are indispensable parts of modern electronics systems and devices.

Researchers are currently seeking robust methods of directly manipulating quantum states. Efforts are being made to more fully develop quantum cryptography, which will theoretically allow guaranteed secure transmission of information. A more distant goal is the development of quantum computers, which are expected to perform certain computational tasks exponentially faster than classical computers. Instead of using classical bits, quantum computers use qubits, which can be in superpositions of states. Another active research topic is quantum teleportation, which deals with techniques to transmit quantum information over arbitrary distances.

Quantum tunneling is vital to the operation of many devices. Even in the simple light switch, the electrons in the electric current could not penetrate the potential barrier made up of a layer of oxide without quantum tunneling. Flash memory chips found in USB drives use quantum tunneling to erase their memory cells.

While quantum mechanics primarily applies to the smaller atomic regimes of matter and energy, some systems exhibit quantum mechanical effects on a large scale. Superfluidity, the frictionless flow of a liquid at temperatures near absolute zero, is one well-known example. So is the closely related phenomenon of superconductivity, the frictionless flow of an electron gas in a conducting material (an electric current) at sufficiently low temperatures.

Quantum theory also provides accurate descriptions for many previously unexplained phenomena, such as black-body radiation and the stability of the orbitals of electrons in atoms. It has also given insight into the workings of many different biological systems, including smell receptors and protein structures. Recent work on photosynthesis has provided evidence that quantum correlations play an essential role in this fundamental process of plants and many other organisms.Even so, classical physics can often provide good approximations to results otherwise obtained by quantum physics, typically in circumstances with large numbers of particles or large quantum numbers. Since classical formulas are much simpler and easier to compute than quantum formulas, classical approximations are used and preferred when the system is large enough to render the effects of quantum mechanics insignificant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics