Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rune

Google Chrome Problems?

So I'm having this issue where Chrome will suddenly stop opening the application after some ambiguous amount of time on my computer. I've literally searched all over the net for an answer, but I couldn't find anything relevant to my problem. Perhaps it's my firewall? I just got a new computer, but I can see the Google Chrome is specifically checked to be allowed through my windows 10 firewall.

The issue:

Generally after I let my computer sit idle for some amount of time, I'll come back and try to open Chrome. The mouse will show a loading indication, the die out and Chrome doesn't open. Sometimes my task manager refuses to open after this occurs, but it has been working the past few times this has happened. When it opens, I can see the Google chrome process. I am able to terminate the process, but any subsequent attempts to open it yields the same result.

Anyone have any idea what the issue is? I don't even have any debug logs on it because apparently it isn't an error.

Edit: Just a quick addendum: It does work after I restart, and every attempt to replicate the problem has come up with nothing. It just seems to stop working after I don't use it for some period of time.

Mine does this too but I use Firefox and Chrome (Mainly Firefox). If it happens again, try other applications and if they don't open either, you have the same problem that I occasionally get.

The only fix I've found is restarting explorer.exe through task manager.

Computer specs? What OS? Is the drive that Chrome is on almost full? Have you defragged recently? Have you cleared temp files and such?

New computer with a 500 gig SSD- I don't need to defrag it. My specs are Gigabyte Nvidia 980 Ti, Samsung 500 gig SSD, 6600k i5 Processor, GA-Z170 Intel Mobo, 750W EVGA PSU. Just set it up over the weekend, and I clean my temp files regularly.

Open chrome and task manager, watch the memory usage of chrome, if it continually goes up, its a memory leak.

I've checked this. The memory sits at 0 across the board.

Mine does this too but I use Firefox and Chrome (Mainly Firefox). If it happens again, try other applications and if they don't open either, you have the same problem that I occasionally get.

The only fix I've found is restarting explorer.exe through task manager.

Interesting fix, so I'll give it a shot I guess. All my other applications work fine when this happens.

I've checked this. The memory sits at 0 across the board.

this could be the problem itself. chrome is pretty memory hungry, 0 across the board should indicate an issue. any open program should occupy memory. have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling by any chance? are you using an x64 or an x86 version? Do you have the problem with both flavors?