Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noah

ISIS attacks on Paris, state of emergency

I support welfare with mandatory drug testing and restrictions on transfer of benefits. (you should not be able to sell your food stamps.. thats stupid)

it's also unamerican to not take in refugees but the "people" will still complain about it. 

While the US may appear to be prosperous, remember our currency is pretty much worthless. There is no gold backing it, we have trillions in debt across multiple countries. We spend money we dont have every day, at some point we have to draw a line and say "hey, let's fix ourselves before we worry about being the world police or supporting immigrants and refugees. Eg. We have starving people in the US but we pay farmers to NOT grow produce.. While I understand it's done to control the market so farmers continue making money, it's still ridiculous that we send tons of aid out of the country and do nothing within. The problem, imo, is our bureaucrats simply don't know how to handle anything like this. We dont know how to give freebies without tracking it, we dont know how to make other countries "right" because we can't make ours "right"

bottom line, we /should/ be able to accept a huge number of refugees, but will we? i doubt it. look at the katrina disaster and how poorly the government handled that (or how much our own refugees abused it) 

Well said, Driz. We both can agree on that. Mind you I do think it's possible to do two things at once rather than just saying let's do one or the other. I get your point though and can agree with what you're saying.

I thought I'd post this podcast on a discussion by two very centered critics of the left and right on this topic. I found it refreshing.

Sam Harris speaks with author Douglas Murray about Islamism, liberalism, civil society, and the migrant crisis in Europe.

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/on-the-maintenance-of-civilization

On the topic of the screening process for refugees, which is very hard to do because most don't have proper documentation because they either had to leave it behind or it simply was in the back or their mind due to bigger threats. Sam has a very interesting idea of screening a refugees ideology. He has argued for a long while that this world is a War on Ideas. I think it's an interesting thought that might be a good idea to put in place. I just have no idea how it would be done.