Sign in to follow this  
GamerZ

TTT Suggestion - Issue around the Voice Timer

An issue I've had with this server surrounds the fact that it has a voice timer. Now, I know what you are thinking, "The voice timer's purpose is to limit mic spam." Well, what if I told you that this mic timer is the cause of this problem. Let me explain...

As you know, the server gets loud a lot, so the timer doesn't really help there anyway. What is interesting, though, is on other servers with just as many people minus the timer, it happens to be much quieter. The reason behind this is people have so much to say during this game under the pressure that their mic timer will run out, thus disabling their chance to communicate. Under this pressure, everyone decides to say all they can as loudly as possible so everyone else can hear (let alone repeating it) before their time runs out.

As I said before, this timer doesn't help as it stands. Sure it might help against that one person who decides to micspam when no admins are on, but that could be easily solved by muting that person. People may think that muting someone will make them lose out on viable information given by that person. The truth is that when people mic spam, they don't care about the game. They are too focused on trolling that they don't even try to focus on the game; there's no loss of information if you mute trolls.

Additionally, this mic timer punishes the users for using their mic too long; even if they are not mic spamming. Earlier today, I tried confronting a highly suspicious individual who passed Unidentified bodies, and traded out his primary with the victims'. Before I could provide enough proof to get the server on my side, I was interrupted by the timer takin' its toll (in which later I was killed by that T, rendered useless to call him out as T with enough evidence.)

This timer helps the server silence mic spammers by punishing the users. The small amount of Micspammers that play TTT ruin it for the rest who want to play without limits. If someone is being annoying, they can easily be muted. The fix for this server to be quieter is to take the limits off of the people who want to play and allow them to mute the people who they believe are being too loud, talking too much, or being overall an annoying player. 

Of course, we could add a Location-Based mic system that allows only the people in your vicinity to hear you, but if we did that then only people next to you would hear KOSes. We could tell people to bind things to chat, but not everyone knows how to do that. There are so many possibilities to fix server volume, but the mic timer is not one of them.

An issue I've had with this server surrounds the fact that it has a voice timer. Now, I know what you are thinking, "The voice timer's purpose is to limit mic spam." Well, what if I told you that this mic timer is the cause of this problem. Let me explain...

As you know, the server gets loud a lot, so the timer doesn't really help there anyway. What is interesting, though, is on other servers with just as many people minus the timer, it happens to be much quieter. The reason behind this is people have so much to say during this game under the pressure that their mic timer will run out, thus disabling their chance to communicate. Under this pressure, everyone decides to say all they can as loudly as possible so everyone else can hear (let alone repeating it) before their time runs out.

As I said before, this timer doesn't help as it stands. Sure it might help against that one person who decides to micspam when no admins are on, but that could be easily solved by muting that person. People may think that muting someone will make them lose out on viable information given by that person. The truth is that when people mic spam, they don't care about the game. They are too focused on trolling that they don't even try to focus on the game; there's no loss of information if you mute trolls.

Additionally, this mic timer punishes the users for using their mic too long; even if they are not mic spamming. Earlier today, I tried confronting a highly suspicious individual who passed Unidentified bodies, and traded out his primary with the victims'. Before I could provide enough proof to get the server on my side, I was interrupted by the timer takin' its toll (in which later I was killed by that T, rendered useless to call him out as T with enough evidence.)

This timer helps the server silence mic spammers by punishing the users. The small amount of Micspammers that play TTT ruin it for the rest who want to play without limits. If someone is being annoying, they can easily be muted. The fix for this server to be quieter is to take the limits off of the people who want to play and allow them to mute the people who they believe are being too loud, talking too much, or being overall an annoying player. 

Of course, we could add a Location-Based mic system that allows only the people in your vicinity to hear you, but if we did that then only people next to you would hear KOSes. We could tell people to bind things to chat, but not everyone knows how to do that. There are so many possibilities to fix server volume, but the mic timer is not one of them.

As far as I have seen on TTT if you have something important to say there WILL be enough time to say it.  If you find yourself running out of mic extremely often you might be talking too much.  The mic timer is there so that people who 1. spam cant and 2. Talk a lot have to cut down on it a bit. I know there are people on the server who like to just talk talk talk but if we let everyone do that the spam would just get even worse.  I don't see this as too big of an issue it's just something for new players to get used to.

The timer effectively cuts what you want to say to what you NEED to say.

This promotes efficient use of your microphone and helps cut down pollution. The people who are running out of mic time often are usually using it to talk over irrelevant things or are not conveying information efficiently. This screws you over when you suddenly need to call a KOS but you don't have mic time left.

It's a game within a game. Keep your microphone chat to a minimum and convey what needs to be said only when it needs to be said. Everything else irrelevant can be typed out.