Sign in to follow this  
azile0

Image of God

Now, I will warn you, I will be debating Religion. So, if you are sensitive about Christianity/Catholicism, don't read below.

I have been thinking about the portrayal of God as a white man, and I see many flaws in this image.

One - White men are a minority on this planet. We really only exist in America, Europe, and Canada. Blacks / Mexicans / Asians / Africans / Japanese / etc.. take up much more of the population, and portraying God as an old white man just seems like idolism, which is against part of their faith.

Two - Why would God, in all his divine glory, put himself in the image of us, when there are all those other planets he has created? Because, surely, he wouldn't just create Earth and be done with it? Why have a few billion worshipers when you can have an unlimited supply?

Three- Again, why white men? Are blacks too dirty to be God? Are Asians too Brown? You HAVE to be white to share a kind of kinship with God? I hear people saying things like, "Well, God is black." How do you know? "Well, er, I heard it somewhere." So, you are still following the path of idolism, by portraying god as a human.

Four- Humans are so barbaric, so bloodthirsty, why would a benevolent god show himself as one of us? Unless God enjoys watching his species rip eachother up.

I have said my piece, now let me hear yours. And, if you are Christian/Catholic or whatever, don't go screaming at me. I don't want this to turn into a huge battlefield of words. Just express your opinion.

doesn't matter if it creates a safe enviorment that promotes good choices and genorisity and charity

FUCKING PWNED!!!

That's because the Catholic church didn't want to portray Jesus as someone of a race that in general the West hated at the time.

Everyone knows he was Arabian... but no one really cares either.

One - White men are a minority on this planet. We really only exist in America, Europe, and Canada. Blacks / Mexicans / Asians / Africans / Japanese / etc.. take up much more of the population, and portraying God as an old white man just seems like idolism, which is against part of their faith.

Because whites are clearly the best race, duh.

Two - Why would God, in all his divine glory, put himself in the image of us, when there are all those other planets he has created? Because, surely, he wouldn't just create Earth and be done with it? Why have a few billion worshipers when you can have an unlimited supply?

Because humans are the best and are his coolest creation. I bet he didn't give his other creations the ability to fart.

Three- Again, why white men? Are blacks too dirty to be God? Are Asians too Brown? You HAVE to be white to share a kind of kinship with God? I hear people saying things like, "Well, God is black." How do you know? "Well, er, I heard it somewhere." So, you are still following the path of idolism, by portraying god as a human.

See 1.

Four- Humans are so barbaric, so bloodthirsty, why would a benevolent god show himself as one of us? Unless God enjoys watching his species rip eachother up.

HAIL LORD XENU!

Guest Fohacidal
religion.jpg

People actually believe there is a man in the sky, that magically created everything. Boy, that sure sounds real...

Instead of shitting on people's beliefs you could at least acknowledge what we do believe in is what we believe in and just leave it at that. I swear some of you people get so hostile, try to prove so hard that our religion is wrong, or joke or insult theists for believing in something, sure if you dont believe it thats your problem, but leave OUR religions alone, seriously what the hell did we do to you...

Seriously Mayo don't be a dick. I love how athiests or agnostics or what ever always start this shit about religon.

But, I don't know the scripture, but it says that no one truly knows what god looks like, but we were created in his like, so just think of every race and make a neutral one.

religion.jpg

People actually believe there is a man in the sky, that magically created everything. Boy, that sure sounds real...

why is mine on the bottom of the trash can?!?!?!?!

and im going to go with the Galactus theory (which im making up now) that each of his followers see him as they see fit. aliens in the Marvel universe would see Galactus as they see fit, and humans see it as a giant humanoid. ants prolly see god as an old giant ant, cheetahs see a giant cheetah. and so on. aliens prolly see god as they see fit.

but the race issue discussed here is based off of racism and hatred.

God is neither black nor white, not brown not yellow not anything, God is everything and can enter anything he wants, if he so chooses to he can embody a Black man, a tree, a piece of grass, it doesn't matter, God does not have a physical form, he can become a physical form, but isn't one naturally.

Well, I will remain unconvinced that there is a God, until someone gives my PHYSICAL or SCIENTIFIC proof. I am not shitting on your religion, I am merely stating my disbelief.

And, by physical evidence, I mean aliens landing on our planet that look EXACTLY like white men.

I'll give his skin color a "brown". That's how I see Jesus.

God on the other hand... Well, no one can say what he looks like.

Guest Fohacidal
Well, I will remain unconvinced that there is a God, until someone gives my PHYSICAL or SCIENTIFIC proof. I am not shitting on your religion, I am merely stating my disbelief.

And, by physical evidence, I mean aliens landing on our planet that look EXACTLY like white men.

Religion doesnt always have to be empirical

Guest Fohacidal
I never said it was, but I hardly see humans as the perfect beings to base yourself off of.

I think your a bit to young to be judging how people beliefs are based, and plus god acknowledges we arent perfect, I mean look at Abraham, or hell even Jesus cleansing us of all our sins. Like I said, just because you cant see it, doesnt mean it isnt there. A disguised, covert existance. God cant manifest himself in human form anyway, thats in teh biblez i think.

Contract-- don't mistake ignorant or hateful atheists with us agnostics. We claim that God, animism, etc is unknowable, which is essentially what Christians/Jews/Muslims believe too-- thus the whole concept of "faith." Atheists just flat out say it's an impossibility and troll forums.

There's been a lot of research done on the psychology of religion and faith, I recommend reading it, or just think about your faith from a psychological standpoint.

I like agnostics. They're not really with or against anything. They just accept there's no real way to know. It's rather appealing.

I don't FLAT-OUT deny God, I just deny the fact that he is the image of a man. And I feel it hard to 'pray' to a God, when all the other times (and other people) prayers don't get answered. This would be a better world if God answered prayers, and gave miracles.

then what would be the point of free will.

it's better to believe then to know, as a belief is immune to disapointment, unless it becomes a known fact.