Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROFL

Loose/Excess Skin

HELLO SG

Okay, so I'm currently at 30 lbs. lost, and I think I'm starting to see a tiny bit of excess skin around my biceps.

It's not noticeable unless you're staring right at it, and I have another 20-30 more pounds to go. 

Has anyone that has lost a lot of weight have any experience with excess skin while they were losing weight? 

Thanks guys

That's normal for someone of your age. You shouldn't be purposely looking to lose weight (unless the pictures you've posted aren't of yourself and you're actually a junior sumo wrestler weighing in at 250lbs). Odds are unless you're on a professionally prescribed regiment, you'll end up creating more health problems for yourself because of the fact that you're still developing.

That's normal for someone of your age. You shouldn't be purposely looking to lose weight (unless the pictures you've posted aren't of yourself and you're actually a junior sumo wrestler weighing in at 250lbs). Odds are unless you're on a professionally prescribed regiment, you'll end up creating more health problems for yourself because of the fact that you're still developing.

They are of me, my face just looks like it has less fat compared to my body. Before summer I was about 5'11" and nearly 220 (~218) and I decided that I needed to change. I was about that weight in my permit picture too! I'm taking it slow, (2 pounds per week) and I'm hoping to get around 160-170 by my birthday

Two pounds per week is a lot, at that weight. I hope you plan on doing resistance training, because otherwise, you will have loose skin for a while.

Two pounds per week is a lot, at that weight. I hope you plan on doing resistance training, because otherwise, you will have loose skin for a while.

I definitely will. I had just started benching not too long ago during gym, but I'm not very consistant. I'm relatively new to lifting, so I've just been using the machines at the Y.

I'm not a gym expert, try to be consistent and maintain a diet proper for it where you will see results. That was my problem when I was going to the gym. I didn't see results but I could feel it because I gained strength compared to mass. In short, having something to keep you encouraged when working out helps a lot, especially if you are doing this by yourself.

Edit:

BTW I'm 6'5" and still skinny because I clearly didn't continue with the commitment.

Lost 55lbs in 6 mo-7 months and no loose skin here, genetics kinda applies here but since your at such a young age your at your most elasticity skin wise. You might be losing too fast so cut down to 1-1.5lbs a week. Resistance training will also help with loose skin. Losing weight too fast can cause it but over time it should start to tighten back up to normal with normal exercise.

I'm curious to why you think that, true someone his age shouldn't deprive themselves of all the food they need to grow but even if he were to eat the normal daily amount of food someone his age and height should be eating he would still lose weight because in order to become overweight you have to eat more than your body needs and stores the extra as fat. He would be eating less and losing weight just by taking in his recommended daily calorie intake, even if it is at a slower pace than cutting down to maybe 1500cal/day

Also losing 2 pounds a week is a bit drastic, I did it this way and was not necessarily healthy. They say 2 pounds a week is the max healthy limit for an *adult* but for someone your age you should strive for 1lbs-1.5lbs a week max by my guess.

Also unless you're doing regular resistance training you're going to end up skinny fat with what looks like loose skin

I'm not a gym expert, try to be consistent and maintain a diet proper for it where you will see results. That was my problem when I was going to the gym. I didn't see results but I could feel it because I gained strength compared to mass. In short, having something to keep you encouraged when working out helps a lot, especially if you are doing this by yourself.

Edit:

BTW I'm 6'5" and still skinny because I clearly didn't continue with the commitment.

My guess is you weren't eating enough

I'm curious to why you think that, true someone his age shouldn't deprive themselves of all the food they need to grow but even if he were to eat the normal daily amount of food someone his age and height should be eating he would still lose weight because in order to become overweight you have to eat more than your body needs and stores the extra as fat. He would be eating less and losing weight just by taking in his recommended daily calorie intake, even if it is at a slower pace than cutting down to maybe 1500cal/day

There's nothing wrong with seeking weight loss if

he is outside of a healthy BMI range. I was making an assumption as to what he weighs simply off of visual cues opposed to the actual numbers he'd yet to give.

However, I still stand by my statement that because of his age, he should seek a professional's input in terms of dietary needs because of all the effects it could place on him in the future if he goes about it in a rushed manner. Bone density problems if not enough calcium intake or calcium deposits if he's taking too much in, hormonal imbalances coinciding with puberty, lowering or raising his metabolic "set point", if you will, which can disrupt calorie intake in the future. It'd just be better to have someone who knows what they're talking about overseeing the process because of how young he is (correct me if i'm wrong, but you're still 14?). I went through a similar situation where I developed acid reflux issues particularly young as a result of trying to reduce calorie intake without letting my digestive system acclimate, so I started producing a ton of unneeded stomach acid and caused harm to some of the sphincters and intestinal lining near my stomach.

Nothing wrong with it, there's just a right way of going about it.

There's nothing wrong with seeking weight loss if

he is outside of a healthy BMI range. I was making an assumption as to what he weighs simply off of visual cues opposed to the actual numbers he'd yet to give.

However, I still stand by my statement that because of his age, he should seek a professional's input in terms of dietary needs because of all the effects it could place on him in the future if he goes about it in a rushed manner. Bone density problems if not enough calcium intake or calcium deposits if he's taking too much in, hormonal imbalances coinciding with puberty, lowering or raising his metabolic "set point", if you will, which can disrupt calorie intake in the future. It'd just be better to have someone who knows what they're talking about overseeing the process because of how young he is (correct me if i'm wrong, but you're still 14?). I went through a similar situation where I developed acid reflux issues particularly young as a result of trying to reduce calorie intake without letting my digestive system acclimate, so I started producing a ton of unneeded stomach acid and caused harm to some of the sphincters and intestinal lining near my stomach.

Nothing wrong with it, there's just a right way of going about it.

BMI is fucking bogus dickass. I'm considered overweight, by its standards, and I'm still tiny.

160-170 is a bit low, for 5'11". If you're losing weight that fast, you're going to be 'skinny fat', as Demon said. Stick with a moderate caloric intake (2500-3000 calories a day of clean foods), and try to maintain a weight around 180-185. If you do cardio, along with proper resistance training, you'll be a beast, by the time you get out of high school. Four days of cardio and lifting (on concurrent days) will be good for you, at this stage.

BMI is fucking bogus dickass. I'm considered overweight, by its standards, and I'm still tiny.

160-170 is a bit low, for 5'11". If you're losing weight that fast, you're going to be 'skinny fat', as Demon said. Stick with a moderate caloric intake (2500-3000 calories a day of clean foods), and try to maintain a weight around 180-185. If you do cardio, along with proper resistance training, you'll be a beast, by the time you get out of high school. Four days of cardio and lifting (on concurrent days) will be good for you, at this stage.

Again, as I said, i'm basing these off of loose numbers. BMI is not innately unreliable. It's a measure of very basic body composition. The online calculators of simple "enter your height age and weight and see if ur obese!!" most of the time are skewed metrics, yes, but there are others means of testing for fat composition (skinfold lengths, electric currents spectographs, etc.). In the same way that the terms "fat","skinny","overweight","underweight" are all relative terms, the concept of BMI is relative to the measurements of individuals with like metrics and the resulting risks they had in terms of weight. Now ROFL's smart enough to realize whether or not a majority of his weight is muscle or not. I don't know your own lifestyle Gerald, but i'm assuming that you're active enough in working out that you can say with certainty that your "overweight" label is not due to excess fat. I use it as most people have a general knowledge as to what the acronym represents.

The point i'm trying to raise is that easy, clean cut "tips" he's getting aren't necessarily applicable to his situation because of his age. There's nothing wrong with making lifestyle changes, changing eating habits in terms of cutting out the crap and replacing it with better foods, and getting into an exercise regiment. ROFL's also stated that he came to the conclusion that he needed to change. I just don't want to encourage trying to change too drastically in a short period of time. Not simply because he'll be "skinny fat", but so he can avoid screwing any chemical regulations up as a result of his adolescence. If he were a bit older? Sure, you could make a weight loss program a la Demon. I'm just saying weight loss isn't as black and white for younger people. The mindset shouldn't be on weight loss yet, it should be lifestyle change with the weight loss being an added benefit and result.

Bro, I know you're trying to join the swim team. Just keep with lifting and work your ass off at practice and you'll fill in the flab with muscle. I've been swimming since I was 5, nearly 16 years later and I'm still a skinny, but lean adult. I look like a starving Ethiopian when I'm fully dressed, but once I start stripping swimming, the twelve pack makes all of the ladies swoon. You'll get there. Just keep working hard. Drink TONS of water while at school so you're good to go at practice.

/Mind you, I've also been diabetic since I was 3... Fat does not exist on me. It's a fucking bitch because I don't have any way to keep warm or look like I'm healthy. I've been stuck at 7% for as long as I can remember. However, my non-diabetic swimmer friends all are toned and are able to maintain it through swimming laps a few times a week. 

I'll just this tip in

With weight loss this magnitude comes stretch marks. Use coco butter, shit worked miracles on my weight with her weight loss and I know I needed it too.

Yea. I lost 20 pounds for wrestling over the summer last year and the stretch marks are still here a year later.

Yea. I lost 20 pounds for wrestling over the summer last year and the stretch marks are still here a year later.

That's because stretch marks are permanent, you ripped a middle layer of your skin. All you can do is fade it away until not noticeable

Also once you reach a level of fitness it's all about measuring your body fat %, bmi if for the average basic population since 95% of people don't exercise. For me and Gerald bmi is way off