Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reaper0470

Bitlocker with TPM problems windows 8.1

Hey so at my work I'm trying to configure laptops that won't be chained to a desk to use bitlocker with tpm requiring extra authorization. I've been able to set everything up to work correctly except for the lockout threshold and duration. 2.0 TPM has a default of 32 entries before lockout and it resets the lockout by one every two hours. 1.2 TPM doesn't seem to have a default. When I change the GPO to make the threshold for lockout 5, or any number really, the GPO is being ignored and the TPM status stays the same. I've forced the GPO to update with no success and can't find any information on why the setting won't work.

I'm hoping someone would know more information about the use of bitlocker and TPM to help me resolve this. The idea is to set the bitlocker with TPM to lockout the laptop after 5 failed attempts at the pin so it then requires the recovery key to unlock.

Thanks for your time.

It's being done locally. I've tried on a laptop while part of the domain and one that wasn't part of the domain with the same result.

EDIT: I've come across only a single post with the assumption that the TPM chips can be specially configured per manufacturer that prevents any changes to the settings regardless of if you clear the TPM keys in BIOS or the TPM management console. Being as its only one post it's a long shot but still a possibility for a reason why the settings won't change.

prob the wrong place, i've used bitlocker/tpm for years and never seen this. Maybe ask on stackoverflow

prob the wrong place, i've used bitlocker/tpm for years and never seen this. Maybe ask on stackoverflow

Yea I thought someone might know. I've made a post on bleeping computer and lenovo's main site since it's their laptops. Contacted some of my friends to see if they might be able to help so I've outsourced pretty much every where. Only found one post mentioning the same issue and it wasn't even resolved. Only info on it which seems unlikely was mentioned about manufacturers pre-programming the TPM chip to certain defaults and not allowing it to be altered in any way which seem to ridiculous to be true.