Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fab

EMT

Hey guys so I registered to take an EMT course this summer and I just had my orientation the other night. It looks pretty challenging and I wanted to know if theres anyone that's already been certified and can tell me what to expect.

I've been an EMT in NJ for 10 years and have even run in Camden. I am in college to get out of the field, mostly for pension and mental health reasons. I don't know many people who make it a career by choice unless they move up in ranks.

Your best bet is volunteer or do a few ride alongs with a paid department somewhere and see for yourself if that's the job you want to do. EMT can also be used in other places besides the Ambulance. Any questions feel free to message me and I'll give you my email so I can help out.

EMT is a mostly thankless job and for what you do are payed like crap and miss treated.

All though what others have told me and what I have read could be wrong or bad experiences.

EMT is a mostly thankless job and for what you do are payed like crap and miss treated.

Pretty much. First thing I heard on my first day at class and work was "EMT is only good as a stepping stone job, it is a horrible career."

Just curious is it National Registry EMT?

I don't believe so. I signed up through njems instead of nremt

If you were to change states, it may not be recognized.

I think only 7 states accept NJ, some you have to go through a weekend core course. PA you can just mail in your info and $15 and you got it.  But you can challenge the NREMT but it will only get you EMT-B not A, you still have to go through their steps for A.

If you were to change states, it may not be recognized.

I think only 7 states accept NJ, some you have to go through a weekend core course. PA you can just mail in your info and $15 and you got it.  But you can challenge the NREMT but it will only get you EMT-B not A, you still have to go through their steps for A.

Yea I was actually planning on getting recognized in New York after the course because of college and everything. Some of the members of the EMT program at my college said all I had to do for NY is submit the certification and wait like a 6 week period