Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

driz

thoughts on new build

my previous mini-itx gaming system has been retired and sold. Im prepping to sell my current system and replace it with this:

newpc.PNG

buying some peices from Amazon, the cost will actually be 1595.89 total. there's some quirkiness with SATA-Express and using M.2 devices so i am going to lose out on the SATAExpress speeds, but honestly 570MBps is fast enough for now. I can always upgrade HD more later. Most of my "stuff" is stored on a SAN, which is why the HD is relatively small. 

I need 2 GTX 970's to power my 2 monitors which both displayport 1.2a 31" 4096x2160 4k monitors. (aka 4K by 2K)

Avoid the PNY 970, listen to the complaints it has received and the noise it makes. Other than that great build man!

i'm not seeing many complaints about noise (although the newegg price just dropped on it) can you direct me to some things to look at?

i could look at MSI (never used them)  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127833&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-127-833-_-Product

$309.99 and comes with witcher3: wild hunt :D

ohhh the coil whine.. this affects all GTX970 cards though.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-970-Coil-Whine-Concerns

If you plan on running anything intensive at 4k, you might want to consider getting a card with more VRAM, if maxing games is important to you. Aside from that, you can't really get too much better than what you've put up, unless you plan on shelling out money for a Titan X. The GTX 1000 series isn't out until next year.

If you plan on running anything intensive at 4k, you might want to consider getting a card with more VRAM, if maxing games is important to you. Aside from that, you can't really get too much better than what you've put up, unless you plan on shelling out money for a Titan X. The GTX 1000 series isn't out until next year.

Agreed, gta 5 needs more than 2gb of vram to just run at 1080p. I think they have 4gb 970's though.

Agreed, gta 5 needs more than 2gb of vram to just run at 1080p. I think they have 4gb 970's though.

this is a 4Gb 970.. i looked at 980's but the price point is.. high.  honestly i don't do much.. watch movies, play older video games.. i really dont need this at all, but why build something new with old shit

Get the EVGA NEX 750G instead of that cooler master power supply. fully modular, 80+ gold rated, and did I mention full modular?

i'm not seeing many complaints about noise (although the newegg price just dropped on it) can you direct me to some things to look at?

i could look at MSI (never used them)  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127833&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-127-833-_-Product

$309.99 and comes with witcher3: wild hunt :D

ohhh the coil whine.. this affects all GTX970 cards though.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-970-Coil-Whine-Concerns

From what I have heard the MSI is the GO TO GTX 970 card. The noise of the different 970's can be found here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmiVf9cmA9I

You're really gonna stuff all of that in a mid size tower? The frustration alone is worth the extra $20 to go full size.

p.s. anyone else waiting to see what's gonna happen when AMD releases their 16 core CPU with hyperthreading for 32 logical cores? lmao

Did they release crysis 10 or something? holy shit thats powerful.

You're really gonna stuff all of that in a mid size tower? The frustration alone is worth the extra $20 to go full size.

p.s. anyone else waiting to see what's gonna happen when AMD releases their 16 core CPU with hyperthreading for 32 logical cores? lmao

If he's spending another $20, he may as well go full out and get the Air 540 instead. Mid tower cube. SO MUCH ROOM

I like to pack shit into a case like eddy like to get dick packed in his ass!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I like to pack shit into a case like eddy like to get dick packed in his ass!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

fair enough

I know the Evo SSd is extreamly highly rated, but for the price I feel like this is hard to beat.

A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

my first issue with it is that it's huge.. i dont want a 2.5" ssd.. too much space in my tiny case need room for air flow! i'll be dremelling out most of the rails

second issue is it reads at 540MBps but only writes at 290MBps. mine reads at 540MBps and writes at 520MBps, pretty stark difference.

mine has 5yr warranty a-data has 3yr

power draw and heat output on mine is about 50% less than the a-data. 

remember, when you're building a case, it's not all about size/money it's about quality and the overall picture of the system. since im using a small case, heat and airflow are a concern which means space and power utilization are concerns.  warranty and reputation are ALWAYS concerns, but finally.. at almost double the write speed it's a big performance hit to save only $40.00

not bashing, just pointing out my logic in design. i do appreciate the feedback and ideas.

i would say that the only way i would change out the hard drive would be if  (reasonable) SATA Express SSDs hit the street before i purchase.

I have the same mobo, RAM and processor in my build from Cyber Monday. Highly recommend you get a cooler master evo 212 heatsink for that processor, the stock one sucks balls. My processor would hit 100 C playing almost anything until I put in the evo 212, now I've never seen it go past 50 C.

I have the same mobo, RAM and processor in my build from Cyber Monday. Highly recommend you get a cooler master evo 212 heatsink for that processor, the stock one sucks balls. My processor would hit 100 C playing almost anything until I put in the evo 212, now I've never seen it go past 50 C.

He's getting the corsair h100i water cpu cooler already

Water cooling is nice... The EVO is $30 and its performance is just as good. Check the ratings on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

The evo is really goode for the price. If you don't plan on going for crazy overclocks, it's a good option. It will run quieter than h100 and will keep your cpu cool. I ran a 2500k @ 4.5ghz with a evo, max load temps never went over 50. If I ever wanted liquid cooling I would probably do a custom loop.

Water cooling is nice... The EVO is $30 and its performance is just as good. Check the ratings on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

The evo is really goode for the price. If you don't plan on going for crazy overclocks, it's a good option. It will run quieter than h100 and will keep your cpu cool. I ran a 2500k @ 4.5ghz with a evo, max load temps never went over 50. If I ever wanted liquid cooling I would probably do a custom loop.

the reason im going with the water cooling is due to the small form factor of the case. I dont have much space for air flow which would lower the efficiency of the air cooling solution. I'm also forced to go with this closed loop water solution for the same reason, no space for a real pump and such. if you've seen my miniitx gaming system, you'll understand my enjoyment with difficult builds ;)

as to overclocks, my typical OC is only around 500Mhz, so nothing significant.. more of a "hey, it's OC'd" type thing. with the two video cards depending on heat output there, i may be required to get a larger case and custom loop WC.. im hoping not though.

You're missing a Titan X

i wish.. problem is a single titan x wont drive 2 4k by 2k monitors at 60hz with games on ultra and i cant afford 2 :(

the reason im going with the water cooling is due to the small form factor of the case. I dont have much space for air flow which would lower the efficiency of the air cooling solution. I'm also forced to go with this closed loop water solution for the same reason, no space for a real pump and such. if you've seen my miniitx gaming system, you'll understand my enjoyment with difficult builds ;)

as to overclocks, my typical OC is only around 500Mhz, so nothing significant.. more of a "hey, it's OC'd" type thing. with the two video cards depending on heat output there, i may be required to get a larger case and custom loop WC.. im hoping not though.

Thats a good point, the EVO 212 is a hulking beast of a heatsink, sounds like a fucking AC unit in my rig. I can actually feel it blowing on my face sometimes lol.