Sign in to follow this  
Private Pyle

Back into Mapping/Need ideas for TTT

Back when I was 14 years old in 2011 I used to make maps as a hobby. I enjoyed it much back then and even made a map for a school project in Geometry (It was awarded first place for best project and I got lots of extra credit). I got as far as making a map for the TTT server on sG| but it was removed because it was too big and crashed the server a lot (And it was kinda crappy).

I'm a little rusty but I've been thinking of getting back in the game.

Does Anyone got any ideas they for a TTT map they would like to share?

Here is my old map by the way. Don't expect much, I was a kid.

http://www.joinsg.net/topic/45902-ttt-earth-2074-v3-update/

Edited by Private Pyle

a minecraft map

these kiddies are not buying cs:s so anything that uses those textures is doomed to fail

Those are annoying as fuck to make because you have to make each block on the surface individually (and I hate minecraft maps). I could try to make one using only HL:2 textures though.

Im making a ttt map for rebirth right now, join to my project if you want

Send me some pictures of it so I know what its about.

Minecraft b5 is my favorite. If you want your map to receive the most attention it has to go on Vanilla. I don't know if that limits your artistic talent or not. Personally, I would see being forced to use Minecraft assets as a challenge to make a cool map that everyone would love, but that's me. I'd make a vertically-based map like Minecraft b5, what with the cliffs and lighthouse and whatnot.

Minecraft b5 is my favorite. If you want your map to receive the most attention it has to go on Vanilla. I don't know if that limits your artistic talent or not. Personally, I would see being forced to use Minecraft assets as a challenge to make a cool map that everyone would love, but that's me. I'd make a vertically-based map like Minecraft b5, what with the cliffs and lighthouse and whatnot.

I like the cliff idea, but im not making a minecraft map for the squeaker server.

Minecraft maps are versitile they can fit anywhere, but I think there's enough of those for now.

Try looking into other games, such as Halo or some other big franchise you like, that people will recognize for inspiration. 

EDIT: Maybe a Spin to nuketown from B.O 1? Not saying I like the franchise but thats the most played/adored map from that map.

Shit of that sort.

Edited by Extremist

Minecraft maps are versitile they can fit anywhere, but I think there's enough of those for now.

Try looking into other games, such as Halo or some other big franchise you like, that people will recognize for inspiration. 

EDIT: Maybe a Spin to nuketown from B.O 1? Not saying I like the franchise but thats the most played/adored map from that map.

Shit of that sort.

Nuketown in TTT? Yes pls

The only reason I mention minecraft is that there are a couple texture packs for it and you bundle it into the map. Since the maps use simple textures over and over it cuts down on the map size. Also minecraft maps haven't been getting take down notices... but now that they are MS they might get around to it.

If you make a map with CS textures then a large amount of people may see purple and black textures. You can try to bundle the textures in but valve lawyers are very good at finding people who host those maps and getting them taken down.

If there are other texture packs out there then I recommend trying them out. If they are based on another game and you can theme your map to that game then give it a shot.

Does it have to all be minecraft or is that a rule you set when the servers were first set that no regular maps would be on there

Edited by The_Yolo_MaN

Does it have to all be minecraft or is that a rule you set when the servers were first set that no regular maps would be on there

only in the vanilla server is all Minecraft

why?

Because not as many people have CS:S installed anymore. Most of the maps required textures from that game. Now we have a server with addons but on Minecraft maps. It allows players without CS:S installed to play on our custom server.

why?

Outside of sG regulars and members, nobody ever played on that server. It died in the fall of 2013. At least the custom vanilla introduces new players.