Sign in to follow this  
SirTrollCat

Appropriate name rule?

Just spitballing here.

My new rule suggestion is that names must be appropriate for everyday conversation. Names that contain vulgar or inappropriate words need to be changed.

Today I had to say KOS "cunt"... I feel like saying something like that in a game like this is a bit... unnecessary?

While you could make the argument that this game is rated M for mature players, I don't think that really applies here. I believe this server has staff younger than 16 and we definitely have players that are much younger than 18 for sure. It seems unfair for me to have to type "KOS >obscenity< because I may have family nearby. Also, I believe that this reflects negatively on the server itself. When a new player joins in, I doubt they would like to be engulfed in swears. 

If anyone would like to make an argument against this rule, please share! 

Thanks for reading.

post-48194-0-99315600-1424063192_thumb.j

Just spitballing here.

My new rule suggestion is that names must be appropriate for everyday conversation. Names that contain vulgar or inappropriate words need to be changed.

Today I had to say KOS "cunt"... I feel like saying something like that in a game like this is a bit... unnecessary?

While you could make the argument that this game is rated M for mature players, I don't think that really applies here.

Bad parents, doesnt obey the ESBR or PEGI anymore....

I support this too.

Bad parents, doesnt obey the ESBR or PEGI anymore....

I support this too.

that's very true. Many parents allow children younger than 13 to play this game. If I had to describe my experience with them in one word; obnoxious. However, there are also 18 year old players that still live at home while they go to college or gather enough money to move out. I think this rule would benefit all ages. Thanks for your feedback

I support too. Though something like "lesbian dad" could actually be true. Even though it's meant as a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to be fair you can type the name when calling people out...

true but unless you have a nice bind which I don't, voice will ALWAYS be quicker and take more precedence than chat. It's faster to hear than to read and it's easier to hear and play than to read and play. Still though, thank you for your counter argument.

No, this rule would be fucking stupid. The base game is rated M for mature. As Swed stated, online interactions are not rated by the ESRB, so content can potentially be worse online. Swearing has a infinitesimal impact, at most, on the server population. The server retains 30+ players, at peak times, and 10+ players during the middle of the night/early morning.

The only names not allowed are those that are unreadable or racist.

While I respect your opinion, the M rating is not why I'm suggesting this rule. Most M rated games don't REQUIRE you to use profanity outside the game. As I previously stated, there are a large handful of 18+'s olds who still live at home with their families to continue their education for a cheaper price or to just get ready to move out. Swearing may not be a big deal for you or the ones you know but for some, it can mean a lot to hear their son or daughter say "KOS DICK FAGGOT BITCH" (just an extreme example). 

This server is doing well but I don't quite see how that should be a reason to not make the server better for more people.

AGAIN, I respect your opinion and you for taking the time to respond and post your feelings on this matter. 

THANKS

If it is that bothersome, for a parent to hear their son or daughter saying something like, "KOS DICK FAGGOT BITCH," then, maybe, the son or daughter can explain to their parents the context behind them saying this and the background of the game mode.

Yes, some parents' opinions will be immovable, but the player can still type out the name or use a bind to call them out instantly. If we restricted the right of people to use vulgar language in their names, it would simply be catering to a sub-section of players that already have the option to not say the name aloud. Diminish everyone's ability to name themselves, based on unknown data and alternatives being available, or keep it the way it is, when the servers  have been running fine with few complaints about this issue? We aren't eGO.

The reasoning behind the ban on unreadable names is that it directly affects gameplay. Someone might not be able to type out the person's name or say it at all. It also slows down an admin's ability to punish the player.

The reasoning behind the ban on names containing racist content is that the servers do not need to have race wars or discussions, as this is what usually results, and these discussions usually turn into something heavily inflammatory.

You make some great points and I'm really grateful you're hear to speak up about it. That said, I can't think of a single parent understanding or even giving two shits about the context of the curse. "it's ok mom! that's just this guy's name. Thats why I screamed, 'we gotta wreck CUNT LORD.". 

Subsection? I feel like the statement may not be completely accurate until we post up some sort of survey that players can access. To be quite fair, I don't think either of us realistically can tell who does and who doesn't live at home. There are some people that may be even 25 or older that may still live at home for a plethora of reasons (divorce, medical bills, lost jobs, tragedy) 

As I said before, VOICE is always more effective than reading since humans will hear faster than reading . Hearing and playing is much easier than reading and playing since the human mind cannot physically multitask yet rather switch from one task to the other very rapidly. 

Receiving few complaints should not be a reason to deny a request. Sometimes people think that in their head and then move on or simply don't want to bring it up.

Again... Peter, I respect you a lot and appreciate our back to back discussion on the matter.

There are always 2 alternatives to this. There is the suitzoom command that calls out whoever you are looking at through text.

Or my route, just become too good and kill them first.

Really we shouldn't feel obligated to cater to the feelings of the parents of little kids. If they don't want their kids playing with or hearing stuff like that they shouldn't allow their kids access to games where they encounter people twice their age. To start censoring ourselves online is stupid frankly I play online sometimes so I can just let loose without worrying about people getting offended. We shouldn't cater to kids. If they want to play they should learn to grow up and speak quietly into a mic if they have to. Or not play right in front of their parents. We already made too much of a sacrifice eliminating the no balls rule

Edited by Ordinarygamer96

If you're not comfortable shouting CUNT, then just type it. Yeah it may be a little annoying, but it's honestly a personal problem. And you'll have to come up with whatever solution for it that works for you.

We're not a community that targets younger players or family friendly gaming. While we're ok with all of it, we don't want to cater towards them.

We're "a casual gamers lounge" dictating everything people do from the game mode to names doesn't seem to be very casual as was part of the aim of the clan which is to get some casual people playing casual games in a casual manner. I played TTT daily for a year and a half and I know we have a lot of rules in place for TTT which dictate how you play which are of course needed, but I feel like I'm in North Korea there already I don't want to have to be forced to watch my actions even more that would be ridiculous. If I want to make my name Lord Dickington I should be able to. I see where you're coming from and being in a household of 8 family members I think it would have been nice, but going back to our aim it doesn't seem like it would be a very casual setting for TTT.

I understand where you're comming from and I respect your balls to say that, trollcat.

If we din't live in the world we lived in nowdays I would most likely support your view and opinion  on the matter. How there should be a line on names, specially staff. 

But now the reality of things are very different. Get an Xbox or a PS3 and call of duty. The first thing you'll hear is a 8 year old squeaker screaming about how he fucked your mom last night and how you're a faggot.

These kids are already susceptible to a cussing environment to the start, I mean I'm 18 now and I started cussing in second grade. I din't go to a ghetto school, or come from a bad home where shit was always up in the air. I'm from a good family with good ethics etc. But its just what kids do. They do what they're not supposed to do exatcly because they're not supposed to do it.

So I understand a parent overhearing their kid say " Cunt, bitch faggot"  is very inappropriate and extreme, but guess what? 

If they wanted their kids to be correct, they would actually spend time with them, instead of buying them a game to act as a babysitter because they're too busy to interact with their own damn kids. Which is the reality of things, lets be honest. Most parents nowdays all they do is buy a game (COD,CSGO or whatever) so their kid can be entertained instead of putting them in extracurricular activities such as soccer etc. Hell, go for a walk with your kid, ride your bike. Anything. 

Now before this gets into a Parenting section of the post, I understand and respect where youre comming from and I do understand because when I was younger I was in the same boat. But if its so much of a hassle for something, don't play when your parents are around. Or play as a T or something. Theres always a way around that logic. 

So I think its better to keep things as are. Because I can assure you, that 8 year old youre concerned will learn to say " fuck"  from a video game most likely already has watched movies and experienced their parents cussing. They know its not supposed to be done. Putting a nameban won't stop anyone from doing it either way.

Thanks, sorry for the long post. I just thought it would be better to give my view on the subject aswell.

EDIT:   Gramatical Errors

Edited by Extremist

I can not even believe we are having this discussion in the first place....

In my opinion is not that bad of a discussion to be had. Its better than most discussions on the internet. He actually posted his point of view and the reason why he wants it in effect. Now if people can be civilized and continue the discussion, I'm intrigued to where this could lead to be honest.

Damn dude this guy is a good troll. You guys have all been a part of his "Discussion"

Dude when two people have two different opinions and they are argumenting it like they are it turns into a discussion.

Lit 101 man. <3

Well it seems the server disagrees with my suggestion for the most part which is okay. I put my two cents and I'm glad I got to read how everyone feels on the matter. Thanks to all that put in a meaningful contribution. Have a great day folks!