Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lesbian Dad

The GTX 960

It's time for me to upgrade! I have the GTS 450, so it's long over due. I want something in the 200-300 range, but won't mind going to 350 or so. That being said the GTX 970 is a viable option. Though, the more in the 200-300 range, the better.

The things I'm concerned about with the 960: its 2GB GDDR5/128-bit  comparatively other cards provide more ram and bits in that price range. But, I also want a DX12 card so ... yeah.

I can't decide, so what should I do? Go for the midrange card with questionable memory or just be save and go for the 970/comparable card? Or maybe just wait for a Ti version of both of the cards?

If it helps, the games I want to play don't have to look great, but I want the games to run smoothly and look GOOD.

The 960 will probably run any games at like medium settings at a good fps . The only real advantage of having more vram is if you are playing 4k. If you wanted to save for a 970, it would probably run most games on ultra. Just comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

Go for the 760 gtx. I have one from evga and they support directx 12 as well as any game I can throw at it with 60fps (And me with a measly 10 GB RAM.).

http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=D34D9B88-00D7-4F24-A92D-76ECD7BB6346

Plus it's in your $200-$300 range.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-3767-KR

Edit: I also figure you know this but the only difference between the 960 and 760 is just the generation (2 generations apart). Support wise they are about the same for mid-high settings.

My opinion would to be to save a little bit more and go for the 970. The 960 sounds great on paper but after watching videos of the tests it doesn't live up to expectations.

960 is shit. The 280x is about the same/better on some games, AND it is cheaper. Save up and get a 970; it is by far the best price:performance card you can get.

Go for the 760 gtx. I have one from evga and they support directx 12 as well as any game I can throw at it with 60fps (And me with a measly 10 GB RAM.).

http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=D34D9B88-00D7-4F24-A92D-76ECD7BB6346

Plus it's in your $200-$300 range.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-3767-KR

Edit: I also figure you know this but the only difference between the 960 and 760 is just the generation (2 generations apart). Support wise they are about the same for mid-high settings.

That is retarded the 960 is cheaper/same price while being more powerful. 

Also, I'd prefer the 970 but considering your PC was built when the 460 was good. That might mean your CPU might not be able to take full advantage of the 970.

Also have no idea anyhow much ram he has would matter,

Also, I'd prefer the 970 but considering your PC was built when the 460 was good. That might mean your CPU might not be able to take full advantage of the 970.

Forgive me for presuming a card that's 2 generations ahead is gonna be about 200 bucks more, sakata. Yes it will be more powerful than the 760, but not by much.

And since we are on the topic, Dad, if you can give full specs of the PC that would help us a ton.

Forgive me for presuming a card that's 2 generations ahead is gonna be about 200 bucks more, sakata. Yes it will be more powerful than the 760, but not by much.

And since we are on the topic, Dad, if you can give full specs of the PC that would help us a ton.

sure! I was planning on getting a new cpu anyhow with the video card, AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz 

Also I have a 500w power supply.

--

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Deneb 45nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 (Socket 942)

Graphics

1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (EVGA)

I have a Gigabyte Radeon R9 290x and I run CS:Go at 250 fps all the time

its a more power induced card (asks for a power wattage of 600+ on your system), but I think it would run amazingly either way

it is a very cheap and good card for the price (I wanted to get an MSI 760 but it would be over my budget) so I opted out for the cheaper graphics card.

I personally dislike AMD (I had a laptop with AMD processor+graphics and it was complete and utter crap)
When I bought my video card was only around 180 dollars, so if you want to save some money I would recommend it.

If you dont mind spending an extra dollar, I think the 970 is the best choice.

Where are you getting the 2 generations apart figure from? For it to have been 2 generations Nvidia would have to actually released a full fledge 800 series card family and seeing as the 800M series was a just a cutdown version of the 900 they are not 2 generations apart just 1 apart.

Fuck it. Get the 970, then grab an AM3+ cpu and board down the road. They aren't that expensive and offer decent performance.

It's only one generation apart, more expensive, and does less

Fuck it. Get the 970, then grab an AM3+ cpu and board down the road. They aren't that expensive and offer decent performance.

after reading some articles on the 960 and comparing specs with other cards, this is the option I was leaning towards. Though, the 960 is still an option!